Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 AM

3,630 posts, read 3,420,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I wish more Canadians would do that and stay out of the US in winter and driving up prices for the rest of us. I wish Canadians would quit Florida and leave it for us Americans. But of course living in an ice box in winter and having not a single decent climate in the country leaves Canadians little choice than to travel thousands of miles over to Asia for winter lol. Sad. I can stay right in the US without the hassle of international travel and enjoy warm winter weather. Canadians not so much.
And yet Canada manages to move forward, in spite of winter.

Our climates are pretty normal, given where most Canadians live. Four seasons: summer, fall, winter, and spring. It is summer right now, and my buddies and I decided to cancel our normal Monday golf round after work because of the heat (one advantage of living so far north is that you can get a round of golf in after work, as the sun sets so late). My tomatoes and peppers in the garden are going crazy. My AC has been on for the past three months.

It is incorrect to call Canada "an ice box in winter." Yes, it is cold, and yes, we do get snow, and yes, we get periods of temps that are colder than many Americans are used to. But we're Canadians; we grew up with this, we expect it, and we manage. (Besides, it's not a real Christmas without snow blanketing the ground.) Most of us do not head for Florida or Arizona or Thailand; we stay here. And after that, spring and summer arrive, and we get our gardens in order, and complain about the heat.

"Decent climate" is a subjective opinion. My opinion is that Canada has a pretty decent climate year-round.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:36 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,310,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
My opinion is that Canada has a pretty decent climate year-round.
....for a Canadian, maybe so....

Old 07-25-2017, 08:02 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm in IT. When I moved from Vancouver to Seattle (because of family reasons), waiting for my Green Card I quickly got a job at quite few levels below what I was doing in Vancouver (senior IT consultant at a top tier firm)...I was shocked that I was basically making the same money (in nominal number of $$$, actually more considering the exchange rate and cost of living...and yes I got health insurance and dental too).

Actually I think the Vancouver is past its peak as the cool and trendy city du jour...its flaws are too evident to be ignored and many young professionals avoid it like the plague. Among globe trotter professionals it has never been that popular in the first place.
Why didn't you avoid Vancouver? Why didn't you go to Toronto, or directly to the United States?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 AM

3,872 posts, read 5,298,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Edward, i think it's unfair to protrait BLM as working againt the LGBTQ community when most of the members and leadership in the US and in Toronto (I don't know anything about the Vancouver chapter) are LGBTQ themselves.

BLM problem with the police at pride was even though the police may have made amends with some members of the LGBTQ community (mostly cis-gendered White men) POC and transgendered individuals still face discrimination from the police, so how can you party with us when you still treat a chunk of our community like crap. Anyways the police were not official banned from the parade, Pride made a compromise that they could attend but not in uniform.

Plus many members of BLMTO are a part of black LGBTQ organizations like blackness yes, as you may know, had issues with Pride- mainly taking away their space for blackorama to give it to TD etc. So BLM did have a legitimate reason to protest at Pride. I'm just tried people ( not you Ed) trying to make it look like these big bad black people came to pride to terrorize the nice gay people and hijack their parade.

FYI I'm not a fan of BLMTO, I agree with you, they need better leadership.
AF, you make some excellent points. The fact that many of the members of BLMTO are LGBTQ themselves was lost in my response and for that I apologize.

I do not agree with the tactics and I believe there is a much more productive way of going about this (Civil disobedience is something I typically advocate for, but within reason) but making them out to be anti-LGBTQ in any way was a mistake on my part.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Why didn't you avoid Vancouver? Why didn't you go to Toronto, or directly to the United States?

....sometimes you make mistakes in life...

Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM

295 posts, read 264,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....sometimes you make mistakes in life...
If never try "bad", can't really appreciate "good"

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
If never try "bad", can't really appreciate "good"

Vancouver is not bad, simply is not a city well known as a career hotspot. For some people works for other it doesn't.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Lots of discussion comparing Seattle & Vancouver. Similiar topography/vibe/populace but Seattle trumps Vancouver in nearly every single economic measure...

Important ones...

Local Purchasing Power in Seattle is 51.24% higher than in Vancouver.

Average Monthly Net Salary (After Tax)
Vancouver: $2,371.87
Seattle: $4,413.89 +86.09 %

Unemployment rate
Seattle: 2.6%
Vancouver: 5.1%
Comparing stats between two countries can get tricky. It's simple to just look up numbers, compare them, without understanding how those numbers are collected differently in each country.

First off unemployment rates are done differently. This article is a few years old, but it explains the difference. Read the article.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle4104657/

Taxes and purchasing power after taxes FAILS to include what is included in those taxes. It also fails to include other taxes like property tax etc.

I always find these comparisons odd. Simple numbers seem to suggest that the US would have a much higher quality of life and living standard, but they don't. Countries with higher taxes do.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I find Seattle and Vancouver to be really similar to one another, almost like they are some kind of twins.
As Saturno, says...yes and no.

There are major differences. Climate is similar. City layout is totally different. Vancouver is looked upon for how to do urban planning well, Seattle not so much.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Edward, i think it's unfair to protrait BLM as working againt the LGBTQ community when most of the members and leadership in the US and in Toronto (I don't know anything about the Vancouver chapter) are LGBTQ themselves.

BLM problem with the police at pride was even though the police may have made amends with some members of the LGBTQ community (mostly cis-gendered White men) POC and transgendered individuals still face discrimination from the police, so how can you party with us when you still treat a chunk of our community like crap. Anyways the police were not official banned from the parade, Pride made a compromise that they could attend but not in uniform.

Plus many members of BLMTO are a part of black LGBTQ organizations like blackness yes, as you may know, had issues with Pride- mainly taking away their space for blackorama to give it to TD etc. So BLM did have a legitimate reason to protest at Pride. I'm just tried people ( not you Ed) trying to make it look like these big bad black people came to pride to terrorize the nice gay people and hijack their parade.

FYI I'm not a fan of BLMTO, I agree with you, they need better leadership.
They lack perspective IMO. They are blanketing all police forces the same. They must be getting their marching orders from outside the city ,perhaps even the country.

This article explains Vancouver's opposition to the stance of BLM on the VPD quite well.

It mentions Velvet Steele, a trans women who if for the police staying.

"The "Our Pride Includes Police" petition was brought forward by some of Vancouver's most seasoned LGBT activists, including Gordon Hardy, a co-founder of the Vancouver Gay Liberation Front, and Sandy-Leo Laframboise, a trans activist and Métis elder."

""Our history here in Vancouver is very different, and we have a long history of working with police, which we don't have in other cities in North America, especially in the U.S.," she said."

Longtime Vancouver LGBT activists speak up for police presence at Pride parade - British Columbia - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada