Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,321,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post

Someone who values living in a great climate would not move from anywhere in Canada to Seattle. Your city is not a significant upgrade.

....you do not read much of my messages do you?? I never ever said I like weather in Seattle, as a matter of fact I said many times during the years that I'm working towards moving eventually...I'm "stuck" here in a way (family, a fantastic job). However there are many things that suits me better in Seattle compared to Vancouver.....as far as the weather goes, eventually I will move and I have many first world countries to choose from where I can go without any need for a visa.....

Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,433,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Assuming you still live in Vancouver, Natnasci, then you live in the only major Canadian city that doesn't suffer through largely abhorrent winters.
Just curious--what counts as an "abhorrent winter"?

I don't think I've ever lived through what I'd consider to be an "abhorrent winter." It gets cold, it snows, I shovel snow off my driveway and front walk, so what? I've got coats and sweaters and boots for when I go outside in winter; and inside my home, I have a furnace and fireplace--the latter of which is a favourite place for my cats to have a nap in the wintertime. I pour myself a whisky, and fill my pipe, and get a good book, and enjoy having a nice, snug, home; despite the weather outside.

Besides, a bright, sunshiny winter day is like nothing else on earth. I was in Waterton National Park one Christmas Day, with the snow so white and the sky so clear and nobody else around--it was winter, but it was also wonderful.

"Abhorrent winters"? Why are they abhorrent? I find them beautiful.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,530,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
"Abhorrent winters"? Why are they abhorrent? I find them beautiful.
Cold countries are sparsely populated because, well, they're cold. People aren't naturally attracted to that kind of thing, ChevySpoons.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:49 AM

7,313 posts, read 9,361,866 times
I've lived through a couple of abhorrent winters. One was the winter of 1996-97, which later resulted in the Flood of the Century in Manitoba, and the other one was in 2013-14 (I think). It was officially the worst winter ever and not purely subjective opinion.

ETA: however, coming in third place is the winter I spent in grey and dreary Germany.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Cold countries are sparsely populated because, well, they're cold. People aren't naturally attracted to that kind of thing, ChevySpoons.
OK, fine. Now explain to me why Canadian winters are "abhorrent." That word, to me, means a lot more than, "I gotta get out and shovel snow." It means, "We gotta get out of this place forever, no matter what." That's not the vibe I get from friends and neighbours and fellow Canadians in all parts of the country.

Not everybody is born in a warm climate. For those of us born in Canada, we grew up with four seasons. Some will choose to move elsewhere for the weather; fair enough. But the fact that Canada's population is growing (what is it? 35 million now?), and many are just plain content with the climate, ought to tell you something.

Besides, if a cold country is sparsely populated because it's cold, then how do you explain Australia?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,530,377 times
Quote:
Besides, if a cold country is sparsely populated because it's cold, then how do you explain Australia?
We're getting off topic here, but away from the coasts, Australia has the opposite problem to Canada.

Quote:
Now explain to me why Canadian winters are "abhorrent." That word, to me, means a lot more than, "I gotta get out and shovel snow." It means, "We gotta get out of this place forever, no matter what." That's not the vibe I get from friends and neighbours and fellow Canadians in all parts of the country.
Ice, snow, and deep cold for months on end to most people on this planet is an abhorrent state of affairs.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,321,297 times
Quote:

I don't think I've ever lived through what I'd consider to be an "abhorrent winter." It gets cold, it snows, I shovel snow off my driveway and front walk, so what? I've got coats and sweaters and boots for when I go outside in winter;

I may not use the word "abhorrent" but I woudl say very unpleasant.

Sure, skiing for few weekends in winter is fun, spending couple of days in the snow is fun....but that's about it.

More or less 50% of Canadians live below this red line for a reason....

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-26-2017 at 01:56 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,757,095 times
Quote:
OK, fine. Now explain to me why Canadian winters are "abhorrent." That word, to me, means a lot more than, "I gotta get out and shovel snow." It means, "We gotta get out of this place forever, no matter what." That's not the vibe I get from friends and neighbours and fellow Canadians in all parts of the country.

Not everybody is born in a warm climate. For those of us born in Canada, we grew up with four seasons. Some will choose to move elsewhere for the weather; fair enough. But the fact that Canada's population is growing (what is it? 35 million now?), and many are just plain content with the climate, ought to tell you something.

Of course Canadian winter is abhorrent. Yes there are still many immigrants, and I am one of them, but we came to Canada despite the climate. And I personally know many who decide not to immigrate/stay in Canada because of the weather. You can pretend "it is not that bad", but it is.

Canada doesn't just have four seasons. You are vastly downplaying it. Philadelphia has four seasons. Paris has four seasons. Most of Canada has 5 seasons, with the winter being far colder than a typical winter associated with four seasons. Canadian winters are abhorrent when people have to wear winter clothes in late March or even mid April. You can say "it is just 4 seasons", but it is a hell lot worse than the typical four seasons people are comfortable with. When talking about 4 seasons, most people don't think of -20C with windchills and negative temperature in late March. It is just miserable.

how to explain Australia? I thought you were a lawyer or something but where is your logic? A cold country being sparsely populated doesn't necessarily mean a hot country must be densely populated, does it?

Having winter is ok and acceptable to most human beings. But being stuck in the winter until April or even May is not. And I am sure nobody loves the snow in mid September either.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Ice, snow, and deep cold for months on end to most people on this planet is an abhorrent state of affairs.
Obviously, you and I have a different definition of "abhorrent."

You also said, "to most people on this planet." That may be, but somehow, Canadians keep inhabiting their country, in all seasons. Hey, I've bumper-hitched down Yonge Street in winter--they cannot claim that in West Palm Beach.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,757,095 times
Quote:
Obviously, you and I have a different definition of "abhorrent."

You also said, "to most people on this planet." That may be, but somehow, Canadians keep inhabiting their country, in all seasons. Hey, I've bumper-hitched down Yonge Street in winter--they cannot claim that in West Palm Beach.
They are born there. It is not like they have a choice. People keep living in Syria too, doesn't mean they love everything about it does it.

I am 100% sure the vast majority of Canadians wish the climate were warmer, and on a warm and short winter, most are happy about it. Canadians still enjoy living in Canada, but despite the horrible weather, and you act as if the weather didn't matter to their quality of life at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada