Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,752,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
You didn't address the second part of my post. You haven't explained why you are obsessively hostile.
I don't think he has been hostile. Most of the time his posts are civil and respectful. Of course people have different opinions, and sometimes he tries to burst some of the bubbles Vancouverites have about their city, and that's hardly hostile, but the usual locals simply can't take it. They want everyone to praise Vancouver and say how wonderful the city is, only that makes them happy.

But Vancouver has many of the problems. The first one being lack of well paid jobs especially for the cost of life there, what's wrong with pointing that out?

Do we want a Vancouver forum where all posts are about how wonderful Vancouver is? Come one.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well I certainly post less here than I would like to. I just refuse to feed the troll.
big surprise, another Canadian who can't bear the fact that someone didn't like Canada or didn't think it is so superior.

Sometimes you guys act like children, can't even admit the fact the Canadian weather is bad. Instead, whoever hate -20C or snow in April is called "whossie". Really? Why don't you brave Canadians live in Yukon or Northern Manitoba? It is just so ridiculously childish.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 AM

295 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
big surprise, another Canadian who can't bear the fact that someone didn't like Canada or didn't think it is so superior.

Sometimes you guys act like children, can't even admit the fact the Canadian weather is bad. Instead, whoever hate -20C or snow in April is called "whossie". Really? Why don't you brave Canadians live in Yukon or Northern Manitoba? It is just so ridiculously childish.
People act defensive when they want to prove something to themselves first. You are not going to argue much with somebody claiming 'Earth is flat'. However, on more controversial matters a cognitive dissonance kicks in and creates hot arguments. Arguments that are very pointless.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,784,732 times
Quote:
i don't think he has been hostile. Most of the time his posts are civil and respectful. Of course people have different opinions, and sometimes he tries to burst some of the bubbles vancouverites have about their city, and that's hardly hostile, but the usual locals simply can't take it. They want everyone to praise vancouver and say how wonderful the city is, only that makes them happy.

But vancouver has many of the problems. The first one being lack of well paid jobs especially for the cost of life there, what's wrong with pointing that out?

Do we want a vancouver forum where all posts are about how wonderful vancouver is? Come one.
+1

Old 07-27-2017, 06:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
People act defensive when they want to prove something to themselves first. You are not going to argue much with somebody claiming 'Earth is flat'. However, on more controversial matters a cognitive dissonance kicks in and creates hot arguments. Arguments that are very pointless.
With the obverse; being people other than Canadians are the primary and deliberate source of these stupid threads in the Canada section for the sole purpose of precipitating that very response.

Who then are those "needing to prove something to themselves".

Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM

295 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
With the obverse; being people other than Canadians are the primary and deliberate source of these stupid threads in the Canada section for the sole purpose of precipitating that very response.

Who then are those "needing to prove something to themselves".
I agree - they also need to prove something to themselves.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,529,197 times
Quote:
I agree - they also need to prove something to themselves.
Thank you.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
i agree arguments are pointless, but without arguments, this forum will lose 90% of the posts. Most people are just killing time here, not to seek useful information.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM

7,684 posts, read 5,552,932 times
Quote:

Straw man argument. Since your criticism was directly aimed at me, please back up your claim that anything you have said about me is true and not a product of your imagination.

My natural assumption has always been that most Americans live in the U.S. because they prefer to live there and most Canadians live in Canada because they prefer to live here. Why would that bother me?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Straw man argument. Since your criticism was directly aimed at me, please back up of your claim that anything you have said about me is true and not a product of your imagination.

My natural assumption has always been that most Americans live in the U.S. because they prefer to live there and most Canadians live in Canada because they prefer to live here. Why would that bother me?
your natural assumption is naturally wrong. Most Americans and Canadians live in their country because they were born and raised there.

Even under the EU arrangement, people have a lot of consider before leaving their country and move to a another one. Most Americans are not qualified to immigrate Canada and most Canadians are not qualified to move to the US. That's a fact.

just like a lot of Americans would prefer more affordable healthcare, a lot of Canadians would prefer to have more agreable climates or have more job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada