Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Very true and not to mention all the regular folk hunters and fishermen who come up here. I worked one summer at a camp on the lake. One of my nieces worked two months at a fly-in fishing camp last summer. I think it was all Americans. She netted $13,000 with all the tips. I told her it helps to be blonde and beautiful.

....is anybody here suggested that Canada does not have tourism?? Again, thinking hat indeed....

You are confusing tourism with spending half of the year or so....two very different concepts....

People go to Canada in winter to visit....shocking!! the weather must be perfect then!!!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, as we like to say here in Manitoba, the cold winters help to keep the riff-raff out.

We say that here too, even though it's warmer here, it's still the truth. The riff-raff that we get here are from other parts of the rest of Canada where it's colder than here.

Like I said before, bunch of whoosies. LOL.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Oh, please......you really want to want compare the two?? Bunch of celebrities and millionaires owns property in Canada?? Really??....yes I'm pretty sure that there is a wave of people comparable to the snowbirds that move to Canada in summer, I heard they are building a city like Phoenix in northern Alberta ......furthermore, there is no shortage of cooler areas by lakes in summer where you can have a nice cottage in the US.
The most ironic part is that this comes from you, a snowbird yourself......when arguing for the sake of arguing beats reasoning....
"Oh please" yourself. You're the person who just cannot seem to get enough satisfaction out of telling us how Americans do not/won't come north. You're wrong.

The link shows lots do and have for eons. What has the fact the ones mentioned in that particular link are rich have to do with it?
American migration north for holidaying in the summer time and even skiing in winter started in the early 1900's and blossomed throughout the 50's and 60's. You couldn't swing a cat in cottage country and throughout the lakes area of Ontario without hitting an American. I can assure you they were not all the idle rich.

I made big bucks as a teen meeting them at the docks in Temagami to then ferry them by boat to any number of their summer rentals all over that area only accessible by water.

This was your quote: " ....and if they have the financial means many eventually become snowbirds.....I never heard of beachbirds flocking north in summertime." ...making the point that when they can afford it, Canadians turn into snowbirds and go south for the winter .....then you suggested that was unique to Canadians by you never hearing of the obverse ever occurring. Well, now you've heard of it.

Here are some more:

Mitt Romney’s Canadian ‘white house’ in Grand Bend, Ontario | National Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/06...n_7660150.html

Excerpted:
"Americans also perceive Canadian lakes as being cleaner and "more pure" than those south of the border and believe that Canada's economy is stable and strong, said Jarvis."

Brewster Travel History | Brewster Travel Canada

Surely you're at least intelligent enough to think about all those national parks in Canada and places like Jasper and the huge hotels all thriving along the early CN and CP rail lines. Who do you think made up the bulk of early tourism staying at those places so as to make them financially feasible....hint....it wasn't the Chinese.

Americans could arguably be opined to be the early impetus for Canada's tourist industry of today.

Yeah Americans of all walks of life come north in numbers in the summer and have been for a hundred years or more. To suggest they haven't is simply wrong.

Last edited by BruSan; 07-26-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Nonsense...Canada with "balmy weather" would mean Northwest passage easily open to navigation and much easier resource extraction in the north.......yes it would change things...a lot....

You are the one that need to put your thinking hat on...

Now you are just being silly and demonstrating that you still don't understand Canada. I have a suggestion - go back to work and quit wasting your employer's time and money there in Seattle instead of trolling the Canada forum on internet.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Now you are just being silly and demonstrating that you still don't understand Canada. I have a suggestion - go back to work and quit wasting your employer's time and money there in Seattle instead of trolling the Canada forum on internet.

.........you simply do not have any common sense and logic on this topic and try to act dumb...is not that difficult to understand....I understand that logic reasoning hit you like a 2X4...

P.S.

Oh, I understand Canada, and in particular way, some Canadians very well....unfortunately for some of them the negative stereotypes ring true....

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-26-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"Oh please" yourself. You're the person who just cannot seem to get enough satisfaction out of telling us how Americans do not/won't come north. You're wrong.

The link shows lots do and have for eons. What has the fact the ones mentioned in that particular link are rich have to do with it?
American migration north for holidaying in the summer time and even skiing in winter started in the early 1900's and blossomed throughout the 50's and 60's. You couldn't swing a cat in cottage country and throughout the lakes area of Ontario without hitting an American. I can assure you they were not all the idle rich.

I made big bucks as a teen meeting them at the docks in Temagami to then ferry them by boat to any number of their summer rentals all over that area only accessible by water.

This was your quote: " ....and if they have the financial means many eventually become snowbirds.....I never heard of beachbirds flocking north in summertime." ...making the point that when they can afford it, Canadians turn into snowbirds and go south for the winter .....then you suggested that was unique to Canadians by you never hearing of the obverse ever occurring. Well, now you've heard of it.

Here are some more:

Mitt Romney’s Canadian ‘white house’ in Grand Bend, Ontario | National Post

As Loonie Falls, Americans Snap Up Canadian Cottage Country

Excerpted:
"Americans also perceive Canadian lakes as being cleaner and "more pure" than those south of the border and believe that Canada's economy is stable and strong, said Jarvis."

Brewster Travel History | Brewster Travel Canada

Surely you're at least intelligent enough to think about all those national parks in Canada and places like Jasper and the huge hotels all thriving along the early CN and CP rail lines. Who do you think made up the bulk of early tourism staying at those places so as to make them financially feasible....hint....it wasn't the Chinese.

Americans could arguably be opined to be the early impetus for Canada's tourist industry of today.

Yeah Americans of all walks of life come north in numbers in the summer and have been for a hundred years or more. To suggest they haven't is simply wrong.

Please...again....we had this conversation before.....why you try to act dumb and not getting something that is so easy to get?? Show me some stats....some hard numbers and percentage comparing Americans spending their summers up there compared to Canadians spending their winter down south.....I do not care about Mitt Romney house.......I spent almost two weeks few summers ago at the house of my wife's client in Whistler (few of my wife clients own properties up there).....I guess I'm one of the American that spent his summer there that year.....real world to you....my wife clients do not spend their summer there either.

My brother in law always goes up to Canada in summer to fish.....no it does not spend his summer up there.

You are conflating tourism with temporary residence....before you say it....are there Americans spending their summer in Canada?? Of course You will always have someone doing it.......it is all matter of scale

In the south there are entire cities built for the snowbirds (Americans and Canadians)...it must be an optical illusion because during my last trip in Florida the freeways and parking lots were full of Ontario and Quebec plates while I do not remember seeing Whistler or Lake Louise clogged with cars with California, Arizona or Florida plates.
Finally, I mentioned our first exchange on the topic a while ago with a lovely Canadian couple spending their winter in Florida......you know what was their reply to your argument?? "He's talking nonsense and he knows it"

Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 PM

"I never heard of beachbirds flocking north in summertime."

I'm not conflating anything.

That was your statement, now stop with the condescending and patronizing smarm, can't you.

You're throwing around personal insults like a barn painter on steroids. Give it a rest please.

Americans have owned summer properties in Canada for as long as there has been a Canada. They're not subjecting
themselves to two systems of property taxations so they can spend a few days here.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"I never heard of beachbirds flocking north in summertime."

I'm not conflating anything.

That was your statement, now stop with the condescending and patronizing smarm, can't you.

You're throwing around personal insults like a barn painter on steroids. Give it a rest please.

Americans have owned summer properties in Canada for as long as there has been a Canada. They're not subjecting
themselves to two systems of property taxations so they can spend a few days here.
Again, you are trying to act dumb and not jnderstanding what I said because you are boxed in.....nice try but it does not work.....the other forum members know exactly what I meant.....

Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,818 times
You are bitter that you had to leave Canada.

Someone who is satisfied with life in Seattle wouldn't instigate trivial arguments with Canadians and Vancouverites.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Again, you are trying to act dumb and not jnderstanding what I said because you are boxed in.....nice try but it does not work.....the other forum members know exactly what I meant.....
And once again you are resorting to the personal insult.

I know what you mean't as well, but that is not what you wrote is it?

"Boxed in"...are we in some sort of contest here?

You have a proclivity of resorting to accusations of personality traits unflattering. It's deliberate.

The other forum members have already suggested you post in a controversial and patronizing manner. You'll forgive me if I'm less than impressed with you using them as general support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada