Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 08:34 PM

525 posts, read 454,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So where you trying to get at?? I can find pictures of extreme poverty in Canada too....wake up...
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Vancouver's Downtown Eastside was very, very heartbreaking to see, especially in the city I fell in love with. DTES is certainly not a place I'll ever forget and it hurts to know that I'll probably never be able to do anything to fix it. I feared for my safety there, but in retrospect no one I passed by had any malice or aggression in their eyes, but rather pain, sorrow, and hopelessness from all the problems stemming from poverty, drug addiction, and mental illness.

One of the many things I found disturbing was the disproportionate number of indigenous people there, and it's sad to think that this of all things has been one of my very few encounters with indigenous people (in both Canada and the US). There's a lot of talk about black people living in poverty, but Native Americans/First Nations seem to be facing the same problem and there isn't as much talk about it.

And if a city like Vancouver has a neighbourhood like DTES (which apparently is one of the top ten poorest zip codes in Canada), I'm sure other cities in North America have parts that are at least as bad.

Sad to say, I don't think there's any country where you couldn't find poverty and I don't know if we can ever eliminate it; for now all our governments can do is reduce it.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Abhorent to whom? I love the climate I live in.
Assuming you still live in Vancouver, Natnasci, then you live in the only major Canadian city that doesn't suffer through largely abhorrent winters. (Victoria and other Vancouver Island cities also get an acceptable winter, but I don't think of any of them as being large centres.)

Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,308,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Assuming you still live in Vancouver, Natnasci, then you live in the only major Canadian city that doesn't suffer through largely abhorrent winters. (Victoria and other Vancouver Island cities also get an acceptable winter, but I don't think of any of them as being large centres.)

Natnasci is incapable of rational thought....as simple as that...and it could be a typical case of "Ohh I love to live here" because in reality they have nowhere else to go...met a dime a dozen of similar cases....

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-25-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nothing in comparison. Don't even try. The north has how many people? Compare that to the millions on social assistance in the US. THOUSANDS lined up for a free clinics in the US. No go zones in US cities. 10 times the murder rate. Anyone comparing Canada's social issues with the US KNOWS that the US has many, many, many more problems. Like I said, don't even try unless you want to look foolish.

I know it bugs you that overall Canada just does MUCH better for overall than the US for things that you dismiss.

I dismiss your reply as nonsense babble....you posted pictures of extreme cases I did the same for Canada. US homicide rate is less than 3 times Canada not 10 (4.88 vs 1.68) so let's put that aside as well as a baseless ridiculous rant.
Poor people can see a doctor promptly in the US (Medicaid)
Nobody dismiss the US social problems (10 times the population may help understand some of the difference) the only one that look foolish in this exchange is you. Real world to Natnasci, Canada has social problems too....
Sorry but I have to say it, you look as the typical fearmongering ignorant Canadian about things in the US (ahh!! The shy is falling!! Poor Americans!! We are so lucky!!) . Frankly I do not know if is ignorance or hidden jealousy.

Ohh...Canadians are doing so much better!!!! ...ahahahahaahah....

"Over half of Canadians are $200 or less away from not being able to pay bills"

http://globalnews.ca/news/3434447/ov...-to-pay-bills/

Finally, the US is at the forefront or the most important areas of innovation for future growth, Canada is just a resource extraction country with a RE flipping component attached to it.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-25-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Winters in Vancouver are still dreadful, but at least they do not have to shovel snow....compared to the rest of Canada is an improvement.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-25-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 09:37 PM

1,147 posts, read 719,158 times
Quote:
Winters in Vancouver are still dreadful, but at least they do not have to shovel snow....compared to the rest of Canada is an improvement.
I would exchange the dreariness of Vancouver for the sunshine of Seattle too! Your decision to move was good.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,503,354 times
Quote:
Winters in Vancouver are still dreadful, at least they do not have to shovel snow....
Quote:
You're right that most of Canada does get extreme winters. Back in Calgary we would get -40C from time to time but at least I could celebrate Christmas.
Here in Melbourne I have to contend with 40C summers during Christmas

Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
I would exchange the dreariness of Vancouver for the sunshine of Seattle too! Your decision to move was good.

...at least is less dreadful in other areas....

Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Here in Melbourne I have to contend with 40C summers during Christmas

....you know why Australia is called the Lucky Country where Canada is not right??

Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM

1,147 posts, read 719,158 times
Quote:
...at least is less dreadful in other areas....
You are a troll and your comments about climate are insincere.

Someone who values living in a great climate would not move from anywhere in Canada to Seattle. Your city is not a significant upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.