Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM

242 posts, read 242,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
When speaking of those within the Separatist movement, you can't ignore the fact that some if not many simply want their own country and there will be no appeasement other than that outcome. I think someone else stated correctly that we need to work with the 60% plus who do want to work within a united Canada.

That implies that nothing can be done to appease Québec. It is to acknowledge that Québec will always be a province half-in and half-out. It is to resign that it will rest politically/economically unstable. I am curious how many more billions must to be spent only to keep Québec half-in half-out? After all is said and done, the money must keep flowing to keep this precarious position. In 1995 the vote lost by 1%, so what will it be when they see nothing has changed since then? The strategy of working with 60% (a generous number) has only succeeded at one thing: preventing Québec from secession. The economy is still on the rails, lots of corruption, people disagree with foreign policy... And how many of this 60% are firmly against secession? Some think the economy must be fixed for independence and what better than to have Canada pay for it. Some still are open to secession if they do not get what they want in Canada. Maybe 30% are strongly against secession at all costs, and how many are francophones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 11:39 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
That implies that nothing can be done to appease Québec. It is to acknowledge that Québec will always be a province half-in and half-out. It is to resign that it will rest politically/economically unstable. I am curious how many more billions must to be spent only to keep Québec half-in half-out? After all is said and done, the money must keep flowing to keep this precarious position. In 1995 the vote lost by 1%, so what will it be when they see nothing has changed since then? The strategy of working with 60% (a generous number) has only succeeded at one thing: preventing Québec from secession. The economy is still on the rails, lots of corruption, people disagree with foreign policy... And how many of this 60% are firmly against secession? Some think the economy must be fixed for independence and what better than to have Canada pay for it. Some still are open to secession if they do not get what they want in Canada. Maybe 30% are strongly against secession at all costs, and how many are francophones?
You're drawing alot from what I said which was simply that there are going to be those in the secessionist movement (I didn't say what percentage of those I don't know) whereby appeasement simply won't work - they just want to separate and that is their position - there is no desire to work for unity. I'm using current stats for support re separation not 1980 or 1995... In modern times - not when when some posters in here were 4 y.o.. Support for separation is at best 40 percent and hasn't been stronger than that for some time! This is an uncomfortable truth that many in here don't want to accept.

Quebec Separatists Trounced as Secession Support Wanes - Bloomberg

As for Quebec's economy and just like that of Ontario's - if the dollar keeps getting lower and the price of oil stays low balled - that will do a lot more for the central Canada manufacturing sector machine and the increased exports that will result than the movement will be able to do.

If you read all my posts btw - i'm very supportive of doing more to work with all regions of Canada including Quebec (Its not a matter of just giving a certain number of people what they want at all costs, its continually listening and working dynamically with all parts of the nation)... Heck - few places in the union have crap bombs thrown at them more than Toronto - the place MANY in Canada irrationally love to hate for no particularly good reason...

As for how many in Quebec are for or against separation being francophone or not - are you trying to create division in the province for those citizens who aren't francophone as if they don't matter - maybe you are referring to what Mr Parizeau referred to back in 1995, money and the ethnic vote.. Are those the people?

Last edited by fusion2; 12-14-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You're drawing alot from what I said which was simply that there are going to be those in the secessionist movement (I didn't say what percentage of those I don't know) whereby appeasement simply won't work - they just want to separate and that is their position - there is no desire to work for unity. I'm using current stats for support re separation not 1980 or 1995... In modern times - not when when some posters in here were 4 y.o.. Support for separation is at best 40 percent and hasn't been stronger than that for some time! This is an uncomfortable truth that many in here don't want to accept.

Quebec Separatists Trounced as Secession Support Wanes - Bloomberg

As for Quebec's economy and just like that of Ontario's - if the dollar keeps getting lower and the price of oil stays low balled - that will do a lot more for the central Canada manufacturing sector machine and the increased exports that will result than the movement will be able to do.

If you read all my posts btw - i'm very supportive of doing more to work with all regions of Canada including Quebec (Its not a matter of just giving a certain number of people what they want at all costs, its continually listening and working dynamically with all parts of the nation)... Heck - few places in the union have crap bombs thrown at them more than Toronto - the place MANY in Canada irrationally love to hate for no particularly good reason...
Two things are obvious here. You have never lived in Québec, and you do not speak French.

You are so lost from the reality in Québec. They have been saying Québec independence is dead since 1981. A decade later another referendum. In modern Québec the population is split three ways. 1/3 for independence, 1/3 against, and 1/3 that will vote either way according on circumstances. I suggest you learn French if you want to know even the easiest details of Québec.

Quote:
You do not even have the first clue here.

Quote:
As for how many in Quebec are for or against separation being francophone or not - are you trying to create division in the province for those citizens who aren't francophone as if they don't matter - maybe you are referring to what Mr Parizeau referred to back in 1995, money and the ethnic vote.. Are those the people?
Over 90% of anglophones voted "non" in 1995. About 60% of francophones voted "oui" (I was a "non" BTW). Is this undeniable? It is not opinion, it is fact. If we look at statistics only 5 out of 100 anglophones will support independence. But if we talk about the fact that Québec independence is immensely more popular among francophones than the anglophone minority then you play the traditional "Quebec is racist" card.

It is a good try to quiet the other side when you have no good argument. This type of childish recourse only proves the seperatists right. You only prove that even a well meaning anglo like you carries resentment towards Québec.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Majority rules. If you don't want to run with the herd, you can't expect it to stop or go around you. Canada constantly tries to do this, but it is doomed to failure.

Like the Aboriginals, the French have no choice but to separate and form their own independent nation or allow the natural dispersion and assimilation of their culture into the greater whole. There is no other way. The "you in your corner, us in ours" approach does not make for a healthy nation. In fact, by very definition it creates a failed one.

I'm tired of being held hostage or having to bend over backwards to accommodate a few petulant crybabies. The English won the war. It's done. If you don't like the game, take your ball and go home, or choose to join in and make a stronger team. We are becoming a nation of self-interested silos, and cohesion is rapidly diminishing. Of course, this has been the plan all along, to facilitate a North American union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a post completely bereft of global geopolitical knowledge, I am afraid to say.
^ Yeah, really.

Just a couple of comments on your post, NYEd, regardless.

I'm nitpicking, I know, but this makes me crazy: "The English won the war." The "English didn't "win" any war; the British "won" the war, if there was in fact any war to be "won."

And the "plan all along [has been] to facilitate a North American union"? Paranoid much? Really, I don't know why you'd oppose a potential NA union, because it sounds to me like you'd fit in real nicely with all the Preppers.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Two things are obvious here. You have never lived in Québec, and you do not speak French.

You are so lost from the reality in Québec. They have been saying Québec independence is dead since 1981. A decade later another referendum. In modern Québec the population is split three ways. 1/3 for independence, 1/3 against, and 1/3 that will vote either way according on circumstances. I suggest you learn French if you want to know even the easiest details of Québec.

You do not even have the first clue here.

Over 90% of anglophones voted "non" in 1995. About 60% of francophones voted "oui" (I was a "non" BTW). Is this undeniable? It is not opinion, it is fact. If we look at statistics only 5 out of 100 anglophones will support independence. But if we talk about the fact that Québec independence is immensely more popular among francophones than the anglophone minority then you play the traditional "Quebec is racist" card.

It is a good try to quiet the other side when you have no good argument. This type of childish recourse only proves the seperatists right. You only prove that even a well meaning anglo like you carries resentment towards Québec.
I don't know why you draw the conclusions you do to be honest.. The way I see it - it shouldn't matter who in Quebec is eligible to vote one way or another - if they are pink, green, blue, white, Francophone, Anglophone - shouldn't make a difference - a vote is a vote an equal vote.. If you feel otherwise maybe you should come out of the closet about that - Why? You were the one who marginalized people in your post by trying to make this a Francophone Quebecer vs everyone else Quebecer affair by underscoring that point and asking me where support for separation WAS in referendums of the past amongst certain groups....You wanted to play with that fire so don't try and turn that around on me.. All i've maintained is that In recent times - Quebec as a whole support for separation is low and at 40 percent and again, something that can't be denied.

You don't need to provide stats on where support was back then, its been provided in this forum and i'm more than aware of those stats.. Again, I point you to where things are now and where support for separation is now in Quebec irregardless of whether the support if from Francophones or not and in what percentages.. You are trying to create an enemy in me, one who doesn't exist - i'm all for working with EVERY part of the nation to build a stronger union but I realize that no matter what is done some individuals and some factions will not be appeased...Its not just Quebec Separatists - there are some minority segments in the R.O.C who would like to see the country fracture as well..To deny that reality is naive!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-14-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you draw the conclusions you do to be honest.. The way I see it - it shouldn't matter who in Quebec is eligible to vote one way or another - if they are pink, green, blue, white, Francophone, Anglophone - shouldn't make a difference - a vote is a vote an equal vote.. If you feel otherwise maybe you should come out of the closet about that - Why? You were the one who excluded people in your post and tried to make this a Francophone Quebecer vs everyone else Quebecer by underscoring that point and asking me where support for separation WAS in referendums of the past amongst certain groups....

You don't need to provide stats on where support was back then, its been provided in this forum and i'm more than aware of those stats.. Again, I point you to where things are now and where support for separation is now.. You are trying to create an enemy in me, one who doesn't exist - i'm all for working with EVERY part of the nation to build a stronger union...

You draw one too many conclusions!
I'm drawing too many conclusions? You are the one trying to say I want to exclude anglophones and non whites from voting....where did I say anything like this? I am not allowed to say that independence is more popular among francophones? You are still trying to pin the "Quebec is racist card" on me. I get the feeling that one can only say that Canada is the best and I am loyal to Canada under all circumstances, if not then I am just another racist Quebecer...

Second, do you speak French and have you even lived in Québec? You avoided this question. In Québec we can spot an anglophone even by how you sit in your seat. That is part of being the minority, we know you but you don't care or try to know about us. If you speak French or lived in Québec is very relevant. You see people in the rest of Canada have a knack for knowing little about Québec and relying on the newsstories. You forget that some of us live in your world in the world of Québec.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
The way I see it - it shouldn't matter who in Quebec is eligible to vote one way or another - if they are pink, green, blue, white, Francophone, Anglophone - shouldn't make a difference - a vote is a vote an equal vote.. If you feel otherwise maybe you should come out of the closet about that - Why? You were the one who marginalized people in your post by trying to make this a Francophone Quebecer vs everyone else Quebecer affair by underscoring that point and asking me where support for separation WAS in referendums of the past amongst certain groups....You wanted to play with that fire so don't try and turn that around on me..
Seriously? Where did he say anything remotely racist?

Quote:
Funny, because here is a guy who claims to be a "no" voter and your primary tactics so far are telling him what's what and painting him as a closet racist. You claim to be interested in working together? On whose terms?

Old 12-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I'm drawing too many conclusions? You are the one trying to say I want to exclude anglophones and non whites from voting....where did I say anything like this? I am not allowed to say that independence is more popular among francophones? You are still trying to pin the "Quebec is racist card" on me. I get the feeling that one can only say that Canada is the best and I am loyal to Canada under all circumstances, if not then I am just another racist Quebecer...

Second, do you speak French and have you even lived in Québec? You avoided this question. In Québec we can spot an anglophone even by how you sit in your seat. That is part of being the minority, we know you but you don't care or try to know about us. If you speak French or lived in Québec is very relevant. You see people in the rest of Canada have a knack for knowing little about Québec and relying on the newsstories. You forget that some of us live in your world in the world of Québec.
What difference does it make about whether support was greater amongst Francophones or Anglophones in past referendums? You brought it up I don't see the need to go down that road so what is the point, why'd you bring it up? Great, support was greater for separation amongst Francophones when almost 50 percent of Quebec wanted Separation - now its 40 percent so presumable that number has evened out but its all a moot point - Anglophone or Francophone Quebecer a Quebecer is a Quebecer..

As for the second part of your post.. I clearly DID not avoid the question and made that clear many posts back - you just come into this thread and that start launching missiles without reading the whole thing for context.. I suggest you read the whole thread and you'll find your answers...

I've spent more time in Quebec and know more Quebecers than any other province than Ontario btw...There are many parts of Canada and its cultures/people's I don't know as much as
I would like - we're all guilty of that including Quebecers so guilt trip isn't really going to work with me.

Why don't you just spell out what it is you think that the R.O.C needs to do to become more integrated with Quebec.. I've suggested that English Canada should require all H.S students to be fluent in French before getting a H.S diploma..

As for a national discussion - You may even get other groups chiming in and saying the same thing so just be ready for that.. I'm open to bringing that out in the open.. I'm an agreeable guy actually! You say I have no clue - do you?

Last edited by fusion2; 12-14-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Seriously? Where did he say anything remotely racist?

Funny, because here is a guy who claims to be a "no" voter and your primary tactics so far are telling him what's what and painting him as a closet racist. You claim to be interested in working together? On whose terms?
First part - Did I use the term racist? He went down the road of dividing up the votes by various groups I didn't!

The second part is ridiculous and doesn't even warrant a response..

Old 12-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
What difference does it make about whether support was greater amongst Francophones or Anglophones in past referendums? You brought it up I don't see the need to go down that road so what is the point, why'd you bring it up? Great, support was greater for separation amongst Francophones when almost 50 percent of Quebec wanted Separation - now its 40 percent so presumable that number has evened out but its all a moot point - Anglophone or Francophone Quebecer a Quebecer is a Quebecer..
If we have to discuss this basic topic, then you know less about Québec than imagined.

Quote:
As for the second part of your post.. I clearly DID not avoid the question and made that clear many posts back - you just come into this thread and that start launching missiles without reading the whole thing for context.. I suggest you read the whole thread and you'll find your answers...

I've spent more time in Quebec and know more Quebecers than any other province than Ontario btw...There are many parts of Canada and its cultures/people's I don't know as much as
I would like - we're all guilty of that including Quebecers so guilt trip isn't really going to work with me.

Why don't you just spell out what it is you think that the R.O.C needs to do to become more integrated with Quebec.. I've suggested that English Canada should require all H.S students to be fluent in French before getting a H.S diploma..

As for a national discussion - You may even get other groups chiming in and saying the same thing so just be ready for that.. I'm open to bringing that out in the open.. I'm an agreeable guy actually! You say I have no clue - do you?
You think that we rejected seperation early this year. I dont blame you because this is how it is portrayed in anglophone media. They say it is a huge blow. But they dont tell you it is not seperation but Marois that is the unpopular one. I shudder thinking about Marois in office. I dont blame you because without knowing the language of the country how can you possibly know the reality? You only see the view in the anglophone media and what is there in English when you take a trip in Montréal.

I hate to break this to you but you do not know Québec as you claim. If you do not know french than how can one possibly say they know Québec? Imagine, a Chinese person said that they know the US when they don't speak English. All they see is what is on the Chinese media. But you still speak like an athoritative voice on Québecois affairs without knowing the easiest things. This is why it isn't working. Why not admit you know nothing and try to learn? Instead you know nothing and identify as an expert.

You suggest that all anglophones become fluent in French to finish school? That is a big suggestion coming from a guy who doesn't know French himself. Apparantley even this is too much to ask. In any event, it has been tried and anglos are opposed to this. Oh you ask my opinion on the best path to follow? Independence. I put my faith in the promises of Canada in 1995 and nothing has been delivered. If you must know I didn't vote PQ in april either. But I know that with time this is the ultimate goal. If something better comes along I will consider it, but I have learned through years that these promises of devolution are only more broken promises in a long line. I am not going to run out and mindlessly vote for any seperatist because it is not something I believe can be rushed into. I am part of your 60% so maybe it is time to evaluate your calculations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada