Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Yes, that Thatcher was an awful harridan, wasn't she?
She does not seem to be unanimously revered in the UK, so I guess that tells you something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 AM

170 posts, read 182,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"The anglo way is the only way" is a familiar refrain we've all heard before.

I read The Economist as well, you know.
It's not the "anglo way" it's the "common sense" way. It sounds more like you are making an excuse for poor government policies and overall performance, by making it into a "our culture is different" thing. Come on Acajack, I know more than enough about Quebec to know that people want their economy to work just as much as anyone in Alberta. The difference is that the economic policies do everything they can to stunt any economic growth.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
It's not the "anglo way" it's the "common sense" way. It sounds more like you are making an excuse for poor government policies and overall performance, by making it into a "our culture is different" thing. Come on Acajack, I know more than enough about Quebec to know that people want their economy to work just as much as anyone in Alberta. The difference is that the economic policies do everything they can to stunt any economic growth.
I don't consider Quebec to be an economic superstar. I consider it to be "middling" and of course it can improve.

I just consider the focus on it and the urgency for it to get its act together a bit inordinate.

I mean, what's up with Manitoba? Why aren't they better performers? I mean, they're in the booming West for pete's sake.

Yet no one says a peep about them. Or even Ontario that's basically been spinning its wheels for 10 years or so.

Hmm, I wonder why...

Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 AM

170 posts, read 182,437 times
Quote:
I don't consider Quebec to be an economic superstar. I consider it to be "middling" and of course it can improve.

I just consider the focus on it and the urgency for it to get its act together a bit inordinate.

I mean, what's up with Manitoba? Why aren't they better performers? I mean, they're in the booming West for pete's sake.

Yet no one says a peep about them. Or even Ontario that's basically been spinning its wheels for 10 years or so.

Hmm, I wonder why...
How many major cities does Manitoba have compared to Quebec?

How many natural resources does it have compared to Quebec?

How much manpower does it have compared to Quebec?

You are still making excuses. Quebec should be another New York State but instead it is competing with New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Mississippi for last place. The other places have an excuse, Quebec only looks to invent one.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 AM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
You should have typed "rather than the doing stuff that works path" where I emboldened your text.

Quebec is writing its own death certificate. I know that. You know that. Everyone knows that.
So dramatic. Your penny pinching economics is none of our concern. Quebec will spend when we want to spend. If you object to footing the bill then I suggest you take that trip to Alabama.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
So dramatic. Your penny pinching economics is none of our concern. Quebec will spend when we want to spend. If you object to footing the bill then I suggest you take that trip to Alabama.
You know, in spite of best efforts to not characterize people it's sometimes very hard not to when the debate for so many of them is always framed solely in dollars and cents with no regard to matters of culture, history, identity, values, etc.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
You know, in spite of best efforts to not characterize people it's sometimes very hard not to when the debate for so many of them is always framed solely in dollars and cents with no regard to matters of culture, history, identity, values, etc.
I find it more difficult to debate when people make sweeping generalizations and resort to the extremes - like Quebecois are lazy welfare collectors, or Anglos have dominating and "insecure" mindset - so often thrown around by extremists on both sides. I for one do want to learn about the stances on both sides, and hopefully find a middle ground, but some of these comments really poison and polarize the discussion atmosphere.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:15 PM

77 posts, read 99,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I find it more difficult to debate when people make sweeping generalizations and resort to the extremes - like Quebecois are lazy welfare collectors, or Anglos have dominating and "insecure" mindset - so often thrown around by extremists on both sides. I for one do want to learn about the stances on both sides, and hopefully find a middle ground, but some of these comments really poison and polarize the discussion atmosphere.
Maybe there is truth in both stereotypes, the Quebecois are more than anyone else in English North America attracted to government benefits, there is no question there. Also I see English Canadians have a reputation of sorts for being insecure about American success, so there is some truth there too.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
Also I see English Canadians have a reputation of sorts for being insecure about American success, so there is some truth there too.
The reputation is largely not rooted in anything substantive or factual.. Its kind of like an urban myth - just because victims of the myth have a reputation, doesn't make it a reality. Unless you know Canadians and have spent a lot of time with them (certainly more than just in an online forum) i'd be cautious about believing in fairy tales....

Old 03-10-2015, 07:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud canadian View Post
It is only logical. The Americans enjoy a greater degree of Nordic infusion than their Anglo-Celtic neighbours. It is only natural for the Anglo-Celtic Canadian to sense this and procure feelings of insecurity. Not only are the Anglo-Celtic Canadians outmatched in quantity, but they are also outmatched in quantity. Survival requires a vigilant and cunning response on behalf of the Anglo-Celtic Canadians.
What the heck have you been reading - Mein Kampf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada