Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:30 PM

400 posts, read 422,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
UPDATE: I now have someone who might potentially go with me! She is a good friend of mine from college who wants to do the same as me before this semester starts. I will also probably have more funding than what I originally stated. I have been saving up, and some family members have expressed interest in helping me. I'm still leaning more towards Montreal, but she's thinking more along the lines of Toronto. We will talk it out, and I'll be sure to give updates. Thanks again for all the advice! It has been beyond helpful!
Stop your leaning and just go to Montreal. That city is a blast in the summertime. All the eye candy will make your friend plenty jealous as your attention is drawn to the beauties in that city parading around in their stylish digs. Come to our neck of the woods next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Stop your leaning and just go to Montreal. That city is a blast in the summertime. All the eye candy will make your friend plenty jealous as your attention is drawn to the beauties in that city parading around in their stylish digs. Come to our neck of the woods next time.
I am also wondering what's with the "leaning". Montreal is a much better place to visit than Toronto. If he was asking for a place to find a job and start a life, I would recommend Toronto without hesitation.

As to Europeans prefer Toronto, I can only laugh inside. Really? What exactly does Toronto have to impress Europeans? Queen West? Glass condos? Kensington market (there are like 10,000 of those in Europe)? the so called neighbourhoods, like which ones and are you sure Europe doesn't have anything far better? or our lacklustre waterfront? A European doesn't need to come to see Toronto, ever.

I am not saying Montreal is a super fascinating destination to visit - it is not, at least among the places I have visited, it won't be anywhere close to the top 20, but compared with Toronto, it is prettier, more fun, with better food and architecture, and has a much better vibe. It is a city that actually cares (or cared) about being beautiful and elegant, unlike Toronto, which seems to be fine with any crappy structure, public space as long as it functions (Dundas Square and Nathan Philips Square largely represent the general quality of and low standard for public space of Toronto).

Toronto in comparison is a good place for families to spend some time here and there in an uneventful way during the weekends, and if you live here, you would probably find those hidden gem here and there, but it is not worth the big bucks for a tourist to come all the way to see. North American cities in general are less interesting to see due to the lack of real history and the suburban dominated layout, and among them, Toronto doesn't even stand out.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am also wondering what's with the "leaning". Montreal is a much better place to visit than Toronto. If he was asking for a place to find a job and start a life, I would recommend Toronto without hesitation.

As to Europeans prefer Toronto, I can only laugh inside. Really? What exactly does Toronto have to impress Europeans? Queen West? Glass condos? Kensington market (there are like 10,000 of those in Europe)? the so called neighbourhoods, like which ones and are you sure Europe doesn't have anything far better? or our lacklustre waterfront? A European doesn't need to come to see Toronto, ever.

I am not saying Montreal is a super fascinating destination to visit - it is not, at least among the places I have visited, it won't be anywhere close to the top 20, but compared with Toronto, it is prettier, more fun, with better food and architecture, and has a much better vibe. It is a city that actually cares (or cared) about being beautiful and elegant, unlike Toronto, which seems to be fine with any crappy structure, public space as long as it functions (Dundas Square and Nathan Philips Square largely represent the general quality of and low standard for public space of Toronto).

Toronto in comparison is a good place for families to spend some time here and there in an uneventful way during the weekends, and if you live here, you would probably find those hidden gem here and there, but it is not worth the big bucks for a tourist to come all the way to see. North American cities in general are less interesting to see due to the lack of real history and the suburban dominated layout, and among them, Toronto doesn't even stand out.
The fact that it is a very different type of city than the ones in Europe. My friends from Lyon and Amsterdam, LOVE Toronto.

You have a blind spot Botti.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:26 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The fact that it is a very different type of city than the ones in Europe. My friends from Lyon and Amsterdam, LOVE Toronto.

You have a blind spot Botti.
Omaha and Regina are very different cities too, doesn't make them fun to visit.
Lyon and Amsterdam are not exactly the most exiting places either.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Omaha and Regina are very different cities too, doesn't make them fun to visit.
Lyon and Amsterdam are not exactly the most exiting places either.
Botti - I have to disagree with you there as well. I also know quite a few friends from Germany who found Toronto to be quite a new experience to them. Toronto is basically a mix of everything - people, multi-cultures, food, architecture - that you'd be hard pressed to find in Europe outside of the big metropolises. In fact, I am hosting a friend this weekend who's flying in from Munich just to visit Canada and Toronto.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
At this point, the leaning doesn't have anything to do with me. I, without a doubt, want to go to Montreal. It's just that I will have to consider Toronto if she decides to come along. I'm going to convince her to go to Montreal with me because Montreal seems more exciting than Toronto. I can always visit Toronto next summer, especially if Megabus tickets stay $51.50 round trip between Philadelphia and Toronto.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Looks like nothing has changed in here lol... Botti taking any and every possible cheap shot against Toronto he can.... A place just to raise families and settle down - sheesh Botti I think you can speak for yourself and don't presume to speak for the rest of us..

Old 06-18-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
At this point, the leaning doesn't have anything to do with me. I, without a doubt, want to go to Montreal. It's just that I will have to consider Toronto if she decides to come along. I'm going to convince her to go to Montreal with me because Montreal seems more exciting than Toronto. I can always visit Toronto next summer, especially if Megabus tickets stay $51.50 round trip between Philadelphia and Toronto.
As other posters said - a two day trip considering transit time back and forth to both cities would just not really be a whole lot of time either or.. As for Toronto - if you do visit just have an open mind and don't allow the negativity that some others have towards it or dismissiveness sway you from a visit.. Its totally worth a visit as is Montreal..

I've travelled to many places and some I've preferred more than others but I've also been open minded and pleasantly surprised with a lot of cool destinations that people just dump on for god knows why

Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As other posters said - a two day trip considering transit time back and forth to both cities would just not really be a whole lot of time either or.. As for Toronto - if you do visit just have an open mind and don't allow the negativity that some others have towards it or dismissiveness sway you from a visit.. Its totally worth a visit as is Montreal..

I've travelled to many places and some I've preferred more than others but I've also been open minded and pleasantly surprised with a lot of cool destinations that people just dump on for god knows why
Welcome back Fusion Where did you go?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Here is Yonge/Dundas Square which some of us seem to hate for some reason..

Last year at Worldpride there was a free Tegan and Sara Concert there to close off pride celebration... OMG soo boring and lacking in panache and flair zzzzzzzzzzzzz..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AutSlJsYymk

No - there may be no grand old architecture in this square with a big fountain in the middle with water coming out of a sculptures penis but on the weekends there are almost always free concerts/events going on in the square...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada