Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times

Advertisements

Given the results so far, I'm predicting the Conservatives will be picking a new leader in a couple of months. Harper will not content himself with also-ran status.

I'm seriously hoping that young master Trudeau has more going on upstairs then he has shown throughout the campaign. I believe he's going to be sorely tested with a majority government being handed to him. Just cannot see him patterning an economy and making decisions regarding foreign policy without anything other than a deer in the headlights glaze in his eyes.

But hey; the younger voters get their legal dope smoking....whoopee. Hope he's got a dedicated line hooked to someone like Paul Martin's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
C'mon Bru.. Let's give the guy a chance and not underestimate him.. Clearly Canadians were not happy with the direction Mr Harper was taking our country. Mulcair and Harper underestimated him too so lets start the critique after due time. In the meantime we have a new PM so lets celebrate new beginnings

Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Given the results so far, I'm predicting the Conservatives will be picking a new leader in a couple of months. Harper will not content himself with also-ran status.

I'm seriously hoping that young master Trudeau has more going on upstairs then he has shown throughout the campaign. I believe he's going to be sorely tested with a majority government being handed to him. Just cannot see him patterning an economy and making decisions regarding foreign policy without anything other than a deer in the headlights glaze in his eyes.

But hey; the younger voters get their legal dope smoking....whoopee. Hope he's got a dedicated line hooked to someone like Paul Martin's house.
I doubt that the Conservatives will rush to hold a leadership vote; I think the (former) PM will be replaced by an interim leader for ~ a year, I'd guess, before they select a new leader. Like when Bob Rae was leader for the Liberals. There aren't any clear successors to Harper, I don't think.

There are quite a few old timers in the Liberal caucus, so Trudeau won't be without advice. Lots of new MPs in his caucus, however. They will be climbing over each other to get as much influence as possible.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 PM

Yeah I think Harper will resign immediately.. We could have two leaders resigning tonight! Although early, Mulcair is trailing in Outremont and will have to take responsibility for a crushing NDP defeat.

I'm happy we won't have a minority government.. No coalition, no minority government concessions etc.. A strong mandate for change tonight.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah I think Harper will resign immediately.. We could have two leaders resigning tonight!
Mulcair was behind in his riding. If he loses his riding does he need to resign? Feel bad for the NDP supporters. They lost some talent tonight.

Some surprises tonight: Gilles Duceppe's coming back to the House, with 8 Bloc MPs likely.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:18 PM

Lib majority... 170 seats. BOOM.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Mulcair was behind in his riding. If he loses his riding does he need to resign? Feel bad for the NDP supporters. They lost some talent tonight.

Some surprises tonight: Gilles Duceppe's coming back to the House, with 8 Bloc MPs likely.
He doesn't need to resign if he loses his seat but a combination of that and leading the NDP to a crushing defeat I can't imagine he'd be able to continue on leading.. Same with Harper, I can't imagine after being PM for 10 years that he would go to the 'other' side.. There'd be no point.. He could leave it to an interim leader.. Something he probably should have done a year ago... You could see a Jason Kenney as leader of the opposition.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:20 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
^^yippee. Anybody but Harper.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Congrats to Justin Trudeau! http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/wo...8&ref=headline

Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 PM

Duceppe is losing slightly in his riding.... Trudeau has won Papineau and Harper's seat is secure and Mulcair is now leading slightly in Outremont.

*****LIBERAL MAJORITY GOVERNMENT CALLED BY CBC******
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada