Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I see the attacks as two-fold.. An act of terror on the American people and the other an act of hate against the Gay community. I think we'd have to be blind not to acknowledge that this isn't simply an act of terror and was also targeted against a specific community. I think President Obama highlighted that well in his speech and did a good job conveying that.
This. It will be a while before people feel completely safe again at large gatherings for the LGBT community, and it's maddening that this happened in the middle of Pride events. Random hate is hard enough to wrap one's head around. Targeting a particular group of people is even more despicable, if that's possible.

As Obama said, it's an attack against all of us. We all pay the price for a tragedy like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 01:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
This. It will be a while before people feel completely safe again at large gatherings for the LGBT community, and it's maddening that this happened in the middle of Pride events. Random hate is hard enough to wrap one's head around. Targeting a particular group of people is even more despicable, if that's possible.

As Obama said, it's an attack against all of us. We all pay the price for a tragedy like this.
Ottawa2011 - thank you so much for acknowledging what you did! I would rep you X100 if I could. I think you'll find turn out at Pride events the world over to be as high or higher than before and as a result of this attack will resonate with us in a stronger way. Next year (My partner and I will be in Asia this year for Pride), we will be going to celebrate pride with our American friends as a show of solidarity - for our community and also for that country!

None of us should allow these terrorists and haters to impact our way of life. F them!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:36 PM

617 posts, read 538,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I see the attacks as two-fold.. An act of terror on the American people and the other an act of hate against the Gay community. I think we'd have to be blind not to acknowledge that this isn't simply an act of terror and was also targeted against a specific community. I think President Obama highlighted that well in his speech and did a good job conveying that.

I don't always agree with the F.P of the U.S either but at the same time if you think that radical islam speaks for the Iraqi or Syrian or M.E people as a whole they don't. They engage in terror against all kinds of groups even within those countries and we can't constantly excuse their actions just as a response to what the U.S has done.. There comes a time when they have to take responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming the U.S.. The fact is this group wants to create a society that the civilized world simply does not want. Would you want to be a citizen under ISIS rule? Do you ascribe to that value system. If the answer is no than we need to confront them for our own sake.
US invasion of Iraq pretty much triggered creation of ISIS. Violence creates more violence. It's not a coincidence that majority of terror acts by radical Islam happen in NATO countries.
Radical Islam is a horrible thing, but in a way it's response of Islamic countries to NATO aggressiveness. Why can't US leave them alone? The answer is lot of money being made from wars in oil bearing regions, so US president should take a hard look at himself and his country acts.

Yes, Islamic countries do not have gay communities, you cannot dictate them to accept more gay rights because this is their way of life and has been for 1000 of years. If you do you get more people killed in NATO countries.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:54 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
First of all, my heart goes out to the family and freinds of the victims. My deepest sympathies to the families and people of Orlando. I am saddened and sick to my stomach over this massacre.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
US invasion of Iraq pretty much triggered creation of ISIS. Violence creates more violence. It's not a coincidence that majority of terror acts by radical Islam happen in NATO countries.
Radical Islam is a horrible thing, but in a way it's response of Islamic countries to NATO aggressiveness. Why can't US leave them alone? The answer is lot of money being made from wars in oil bearing regions, so US president should take a hard look at himself and his country acts.
It may have advanced ISIS but there is absolutely no way of knowing for sure that ISIS or an ISIS related group wouldn't have been developed even if the U.S had no involvement in the M.E. The M.E has been a hotbed of activity over the last decade and it isn't just the U.S triggering that - there are major ideological/political/religious agitators in the whole region that would exist if the U.S didn't. Blaming the U.S for everything is an excuse for their behaviour. At the end of the day, we have to reach a point where we need to confront them (fundamentalists) head on regardless of all the factors that led to their creation and evolution. Trust me, ISIS isn't loved by the majority of the Islamic world - far from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Yes, Islamic countries do not have gay communities, you cannot dictate them to accept more gay rights because this is their way of life and has been for 1000 of years. If you do you get more people killed in NATO countries.
Have you been to Islamic countries? I've been to Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Indonesia and Tunisia and I can tell you with zero equivocation that although more underground - the gay communities in those countries are alive/well/thriving. There is the public/media face of things and than there is real life.. Real life is far more interesting - especially in Islamic countries lol.. The laws may be backwards but many of the people are not and far more liberal and open than you think.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-12-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
First of all, my heart goes out to the family and freinds of the victims. My deepest sympathies to the families and people of Orlando. I am saddened and sick to my stomach over this massacre.
A lot of the victims most likely Latino gays as well. I believe there was some sort of Latino party going on at the club that night. This group knows no bounds when it comes to their attacks.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:17 PM

525 posts, read 454,126 times
Such a tragic event that left me absolutely speechless. No one should ever have to be afraid to love who they want. My condolences to the victims and their loved ones.

Having said that, the response to this tragedy has strengthened my faith in humanity. People are showing up in droves to donate blood. I've been waiting for hours to donate because the place was packed when I arrived!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Thank you for the sympathy. Sad that these terrorist attacks are becoming such a common thing. I first heard about it during prayer requests this morning in church. I didn't know what they were talking about until getting home and unfortunately I turned on the news.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
This incident really hit home for me as a gay American guy. It could have just as easily been me at that club, or a gay club anywhere. Then again, it could be a school, movie theatre, church. Nowhere is safe. ABC interviewed a woman whose son had been at the club that night and who she hadn't heard from but knew his boyfriend had been shot multiple times. She had been there for hours and still didn't know anything but you could tell in her voice she was expecting the worst. It's just heart wrenching to see. I don't know what it will take to move my country to change its stance on guns. This simply cannot continue to happen.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
This incident really hit home for me as a gay American guy. It could have just as easily been me at that club, or a gay club anywhere. Then again, it could be a school, movie theatre, church. Nowhere is safe. ABC interviewed a woman whose son had been at the club that night and who she hadn't heard from but knew his boyfriend had been shot multiple times. She had been there for hours and still didn't know anything but you could tell in her voice she was expecting the worst. It's just heart wrenching to see. I don't know what it will take to move my country to change its stance on guns. This simply cannot continue to happen.
Changing gun laws will fix nothing. If someone in that place had a gun he could have been stopped. The problem is our borders are wide open. Most of the murders in the USA happen in gun free zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada