Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM

148 posts, read 176,184 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying most or everyone, but from some people I talked to who have been all around the world (I live in Northern CA) they've been to various continents but never went to Canada. Some people I've known who were fortunate enough to travel to Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia (because they had a relative that was a flight-attendant, had relatives doing business in said countries, or just saved money to travel, and have an interest in traveling), but they also said they've never been to Canada. They never said why, but they just said they never went.

While everyone has their interests on where to go, I'm curious as to why. It's next to the US, and makes a very easy trip. It just doesn't seem to be on their minds. I have a feeling it's because they think it seems too similar to the US culturally, although there are some differences (Quebec obviously is pretty different and some other areas that are mostly French-speaking), as well as it may seem cold and not "interesting." I'm not saying I know that for sure, but even my friend who loves to travel and goes to Canada said he admits it probably wouldn't be a priority for somebody who wants to travel to exotic, foreign places, except for maybe Quebec. Sometimes when I ask people of the places they want to visit around the world, Canada isn't mentioned much. That doesn't mean they don't like Canada, but it doesn't sound like it'd be a place they're dying to go to. I agree Canada may not seem very exotic to people here, but it's definitely a different country.

I've been to Canada (BC) and had a good time, and I'd recommend it for anyone. So I'm wondering, why do some people in the US don't bother to go to Canada but manage to go to many far away countries? However, most of the people I've known who haven't been out of the country much at all, have only been to Mexico and/or Canada. Some people go to certain countries because of family, but the people I know who traveled worldwide did it for fun from what I known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Did you post your question in the wrong forum by accident? This is the Canada forum where the Canadians hang out but you are asking a question that should ideally be getting answered by Americans since it is American travellers that you're asking about and they are the only ones who can give you their personal reasons for why they do or don't travel to wherever.

I think you may get the answers you want if you post this in the General USA forum where there are a lot more Americans reading.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
1. Airfare to Canada is incredibly expensive. Really, really expensive.

2. When Americans travel out of the country, they seek places that are a change of pace. Canada is still perceived as being "Minnesota 2.0"

3. Americans don't really think much about their neighbors unfortunately. Mexico's American tourism is all-inclusives to Cancun. Same for Bahamas, Dominican Republic, etc. Few Americans visit Mexico's colonial villages (outside San Miguel de Allende) or Canada. The "star" destinations are still London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc. So most Americans who travel in North America go for the beaches of the Caribbean. That's not something Canada can really offer.

4. I think Quebec is most fascinating part of Canada to Americans. Quebec's tourist market with the US is odd though. Those who fancy French culture would rather pay to visit Paris (which is only about $100 more than flying to Quebec City). And those who want to sample French culture without leaving their own culture would probably feel culture shock in Quebec. So they'd go to New Orleans instead.

5. Vancouver is a beautiful city scenically, but it's competing with tons of U.S. cities that also have nearby outdoor activities like Seattle, Portland and Denver. And, again, who will pay $400 to fly to Vancouver when you can reach Seattle or Denver for 1/3rd of the price without the hassle of crossing a border.

6. Toronto has pretty bad branding in the U.S. It's widely acknowledged to be the largest city in Canada. But few people could tell you what's there other than the CN Tower. If you asked the average layman about Toronto, you'd get blank stares. In terms of branding, it's likely fourth in Canada behind 1) Montreal, 2) Vancouver, 3) Quebec City. Those who visit Toronto tend to be from neighboring states like Michigan and Upstate New York. And Michigan + Upstate New York is only 4% of the US population. Outside of that, Toronto has little brand recognition. It might as well be Winnipeg.

7. Canada is cold! (at least that's the perception). And when Canada is not cold, it's summertime. And which American is going to waste their measly summer vacation time visiting Canada in the summer when the alternative is lounging in Hawaii or the Caribbean?

Basically, it boils down to this question: What does Canada offer Americans that they couldn't find in their own country? Outside of Quebec, not much. Couple that with high airfare and there's a reason why most Americans seek local pursuits.

BC = Washington, Oregon, Colorado
Toronto = Chicago, Queens
Ontario = Michigan, Upstate New York
Winnipeg = Omaha
Alberta = Texas, Wyoming, Montana
Northern Territories = Alaska
Atlantic Canada = New England
Prince Edward Island = Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard?
Quebec = New Orleans?
Montreal = French Boston/French Brooklyn
Ottawa = Washington

Basically the U.S. has an equivalent to nearly all of Canada's offerings. So why go through the hassle of crossing the border when you can get the same experience in the U.S?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

2. When Americans travel out of the country, they seek places that are a change of pace. Canada is still perceived as being "Minnesota 2.0"

3. Americans don't really think much about their neighbors unfortunately. Mexico's American tourism is all-inclusives to Cancun. Same for Bahamas, Dominican Republic, etc. Few Americans visit Mexico's colonial villages (outside San Miguel de Allende) or Canada. The "star" destinations are still London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc. So most Americans who travel in North America go for the beaches of the Caribbean. That's not something Canada can really offer.

4. I think Quebec is most fascinating part of Canada to Americans. Quebec's tourist market with the US is odd though. Those who fancy French culture would rather pay to visit Paris (which is only about $100 more than flying to Quebec City). And those who want to sample French culture without leaving their own culture would probably feel culture shock in Quebec. So they'd go to New Orleans instead.

5. Vancouver is a beautiful city scenically, but it's competing with tons of U.S. cities that also have nearby outdoor activities like Seattle, Portland and Denver. And, again, who will pay $400 to fly to Vancouver when you can reach Seattle or Denver for 1/3rd of the price without the hassle of crossing a border.

6. Toronto has pretty bad branding in the U.S. It's widely acknowledged to be the largest city in Canada. But few people could tell you what's there other than the CN Tower. If you asked the average layman about Toronto, you'd get blank stares. In terms of branding, it's likely fourth in Canada behind 1) Montreal, 2) Vancouver, 3) Quebec City. Those who visit Toronto tend to be from neighboring states like Michigan and Upstate New York. And Michigan + Upstate New York is only 4% of the US population. Outside of that, Toronto has little brand recognition. It might as well be Winnipeg.

7. Canada is cold! (at least that's the perception). And when Canada is not cold, it's summertime. And which American is going to waste their measly summer vacation time visiting Canada in the summer when the alternative is lounging in Hawaii or the Caribbean?

Basically, it boils down to this question: What does Canada offer Americans that they couldn't find in their own country? Outside of Quebec, not much. Couple that with high airfare and there's a reason why most Americans seek local pursuits.

Winnipeg = Omaha
Quebec = New Orleans?
Ottawa = Washington

Basically the U.S. has an equivalent to nearly all of Canada's offerings. So why go through the hassle of crossing the border when you can get the same experience in the U.S?
Good post. However, keep in mind, it's usually the people that don't travel around the world that much (though still travel a lot more than some people, who've never even left their state or even more than 2 hours away) who have been to Canada. It's the opposite when I've talked to people who've traveled a lot around the world, and who are generally more wealthy or just save a lot of money.

However, my flight wasn't that expensive, from SF to Vancouver. Then again it was on United. And yeah, a lot of Americans don't really see Canada as that interesting, which I can understand, but I do really like Canada and I wouldn't even mind living there. I just could understand that people wouldn't bother going there when they could spend money to travel to Europe or Hawaii or something. It is true some of the border states are like the Canadian provinces.

However, BC in my opinion is a bit more prettier than Washington, or at least the Vancouver area. Also the Vancouver area has Whistler and that bridge, which I haven't been to. And some may like to go to Canada for the "better" maple syrup (although it can be imported here) products, to see the nice part of Niagara Falls, etc. But it's not a country that people are really impatient to visit.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Did you post your question in the wrong forum by accident? This is the Canada forum where the Canadians hang out but you are asking a question that should ideally be getting answered by Americans since it is American travellers that you're asking about and they are the only ones who can give you their personal reasons for why they do or don't travel to wherever.

I think you may get the answers you want if you post this in the General USA forum where there are a lot more Americans reading.

I guess I wasn't sure where to put it. I guess I'd be as interested from hearing either side.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
6. Toronto has pretty bad branding in the U.S. It's widely acknowledged to be the largest city in Canada. But few people could tell you what's there other than the CN Tower. If you asked the average layman about Toronto, you'd get blank stares....
Sports fans know Toronto as the home of the Blue Jays, who are currently contenders for American League champions (and who have won the World Series twice), and for the Maple Leafs, who are the Chicago Cubs of the NHL. Toronto is also the home of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Theatre-goers know Toronto as "City No. 3" for theatre, after London and New York. The annual Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) is about as important as Cannes in the film world.

I think many Americans would know Toronto for more than the CN Tower.

Quote:
So you can use colorful plastic money without having to go to Australia.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:

Winnipeg = Omaha
Quebec = New Orleans?
Ottawa = Washington

Very good analysis. I agree with most points, especially the underlined ones.

However, I don't think Montreal/Quebec city is similar to New Orleans and "French Boston" , whatever that is.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:

Winnipeg = Omaha
Quebec = New Orleans?
Ottawa = Washington

I generally agree with you expect on the Quebec comparison. Quebec offers so much in French culture I highly doubt New Orleans can compare to its level. I have enjoyed my visits to Quebec and Ontario though and am glad I live in a city within a day's drive of them. I also feel like that outside of Montreal and Quebec City, many Canadian cities don't have as well known of a wow factor that similar American ones do get.

Edit: I have never been there but I've heard Winnipeg actually does offer a lot for its size and how isolated it is. I would imagine it's a popular spot for many in North Dakota, Western Ontario, and northern Minnesota to go if they want the feel of a bigger city. Couldn't imagine going there in the winter though! I don't really consider Toronto, Vancouver, and Atlantic Canada cold after living in Pittsburgh but Winnipeg is on a different level from any other large city on this continent.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 08-23-2016 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Very good analysis. I agree with most points, especially the underlined ones.

However, I don't think Montreal/Quebec city is similar to New Orleans and "French Boston" , whatever that is.
I think he might have been saying "French Boston" as in Montreal is like Boston if it were a French city, if I am reading it right, though I don't think Boston and Montreal have that much in common when you look at their histories.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Canada is the number two travel destination for Americans, Mexico number one. The next most popular destination attracts only about 1/4 of people going to Canada, which is the UK and all other countries trail off significantly after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada