Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel?
POSITIVE - Thats so fascinating; I wonder what they could be doing here! 13 25.00%
NEUTRAL - Doesn't really think anything of it. 30 57.69%
NEGATIVE - America's govt causes too much problems in the world 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:04 PM

151 posts, read 133,346 times

Advertisements

I know that this is a strange question but what's your general attitude when you encounter Americans in Canada? (Refer to the poll)

Maybe it's when you're driving and happen to see a car with a US license plate; or when you're having a conversation with somebody and you notice that they pronounce a few words differently (thus hinting that they're from the US).

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 05-22-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM

776 posts, read 956,344 times
I'll get the popcorn ready.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
I break out into a cold sweat and expect them to start shooting.

Honestly, that is a very strange question. Unless a person acts badly regardless of nationality, I'm not sure why you would think residents going about their daily lives would notice them. National policies and individuals don't have much to do with each other.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
When I see a car with a US license plate I sometimes wonder if they are really americans or are actualiy just canadians now living in the USA
back in Canada visiting relatives...

Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I go to Canada regularly. I found a good butcher shop on my route that I've stopped in now three times. Last time I waltzed in and yelled, "Your favorite Jersey customer is here!" The owner laughed and said, "I figured you were due back soon."

He has family in Jersey. We bonded.

I've never met anything but friendliness in my travels to Ontario, but I do keep in mind that I'm a guest in your country. I always let people with Ontario plates drive faster than me on the 401.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
In reverse, I think it's cool to see an Ontario or Quebec plate traveling around where we live

Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
....... what's your general attitude when you encounter Americans in Canada?

No attitude. It's such a common thing here on the west coast we are quite accustomed to it and nobody thinks anything of it. There are thousands of Americans entering BC every day. BC apparently gets something like 3,000 American vehicles and drivers crossing the border from Washington alone daily. That's not counting the number of Americans that daily cross at the BC border crossings shared with Idaho and Montana, or coming from Alaska, nor does it count all the Americans that arrive by train, air or ferry every day - I don't know how many the daily grand total is for our province.

I know that for all of Canada the country gets around 14 million Americans visiting annually. I understand that, in order, Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia are the usual top three Canadian destinations for highest numbers of American visitors but all the other provinces get a lot as well. It's good for our economy, likewise when Canadians cross into America it's good for the American economy too.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:30 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
No attitude also. Heck, I married one. No, it wasn't anything to do with immigration, she lived here in Canada for eight years before we met and married. We're divorced now, but she continues to live in Canada.

Living in the first city of any size you get to after passing through the Coutts AB/Sweetgrass MT border crossing, we get a lot of Americans passing through. A number of them wash up at our local sports bar, in order to kill an evening before getting back on the road the next day. They are welcome--as long as they are Toronto Blue Jays fans.

No, seriously, Americans are no different from anybody else, no matter which baseball team they cheer for. There's no reason to have any sort of feeling when I meet one. There's only a "Hi, welcome, c'mon in and meet the gang."

Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
In much of Canada, and depending on what part of the U.S. you're from (think... accents), travelling in Canada as an American can be a pretty "incognito" thing. A lot of people won't even notice you're American unless you tell them or they see your licence plate.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:03 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
When I see a car with a US license plate I sometimes wonder if they are really americans or are actualiy just canadians now living in the USA
back in Canada visiting relatives...
Where I live I've gone into restaurants after noticing that there is a car with U.S. plates among the vehicles parked outside, only to find that every single person in the place is speaking French and no English is being spoken at all. The vehicles in question usually have Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire or Florida plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada