Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 01:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This question is moving things one step further.

What the most adamant trans activists think is that kids should be able to get puberty blockers and surgery behind their parents' backs, or at least against their parents' wishes.
That is such a wrong, sick attitude to advocate for in children. Those trans activists are fools. Not in their right minds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 02:05 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thank you for the links.

I think Trudeau is being impractical and getting too hung up on LGBT issues (sexual orientation and sexual preferences) and is equating that with gender dysphoria and transgenderism, which is NOT the same thing as being LGBT.

He is ignoring the fact that confused youngsters who are going through a gender and identity crisis is a serious mental health issue that is an entirely different issue that really doesn't have anything to do with sexual orientation and preferences. I can't fathom why more people aren't recognizing that they are not the same thing.

For some reason this has become a pretty bizarre hill to die on for our progressives right now, all of it imported from the US culture wars.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
^^^ Exactly. I agree, it's REALLY bizarre! And disturbing.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:33 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
^^^ Exactly. I agree, it's REALLY bizarre! And disturbing.

It's become one of those *limitless* issues, where there is no acceptable way but up.

Immigration used to be like this not long ago. They could propose any type of increase in annual intake and if anyone questioned they'd be denounced as racists. Well, the housing crunch took care of that forced consensus.

Now any trans activist demand must be accepted and if you dare question it at all you're accused of wanting to murder trans kids.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:37 PM

143 posts, read 109,788 times
Just like any other causes. Remember old environmentalist meme? like a watermelon: green on the outside, red on the inside.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:31 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
It's become one of those *limitless* issues, where there is no acceptable way but up.

Immigration used to be like this not long ago. They could propose any type of increase in annual intake and if anyone questioned they'd be denounced as racists. Well, the housing crunch took care of that forced consensus.

Now any trans activist demand must be accepted and if you dare question it at all you're accused of wanting to murder trans kids.
It's not quite that simple either - many people whom I know who are or have been against immigration ARE racists. It's just convenient for them that housing has become an issue as it takes attention away from their racism.

One conversation from a few years back with a visitor who volunteered that immigrants should stay in their own countries. To which someone else responded, "Your mother was an immigrant." To which the person responded blithely: "I mean non-white immigrants."

Same person said recently that only two religions ought to be allowed in Canada - Christianity and atheism.

Same person makes nasty remarks about transgender and gay people without reading the room.

Although, as you know I am not for kids changing their gender, I recognise that those that share my views are mostly people I wouldn't care to associate with. The welfare of children is not what's driving their views.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:40 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
m.

Although, as you know I am not for kids changing their gender, I recognise that those that share my views are mostly people I wouldn't care to associate with. The welfare of children is not what's driving their views.
Believe me there are alot of people on the left that don't agree with gender madness going on, they are just scared to death to say anything about it. This is far from a one sided issue as some on the left would like to paint it. This is in part (but not the only reason) why the left will quietly lose support, mainly from working class people that once were loyal support of leftist parties.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:50 PM

The whole idea of the progressive left that they know what is best for you. What is best for you apparently is Sharia law, chopped off *******, grasshoppers and other juicy bugs, not straying far off from your assigned pod location, etc. Only the progressive left is smart enough to advise you how to live your life. After all them, not you, have a BA in Mesopotamian Lesbian Basket Weaving.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:52 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
This question is moving things one step further.

What the most adamant trans activists think is that kids should be able to get puberty blockers and surgery behind their parents' backs, or at least against their parents' wishes.
The other thing to watch out for is question of what happens if parents have split custody and one parent agrees with their child's trans identity and wants to go forward with a medical gender procedure, and the other parent does not. We have seen cases in the US where the more conservative parent gets over-ruled (I think in some cases even lost custody?).

I'm not a parental rights absolutist. I do think there are some things that the state can disallow parents to put their children through. But generally, where I draw the line is between doing things and not doing things. The state can tell the parent "this cannot be done with your child", but it should not say "this must be done with your child".

The "cannot be done" category would cover abuse of the child, as well as things deemed dangerous or unnecessarily risky choices. You can't get a boob job if you're under 18, so I don't think you should be able to get top surgery either.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm not a parental rights absolutist.
Too bad. Patria potestas was a cornerstone of the Roman law, which, once incorporated into the Western law canon, served civilization well since 753BC and up until, ugh-huh 2016?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada