Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

This is a weird sense of national pride; there's even many jokes about how their beer has a much higher alcohol content then the American counterpart. I've never understood this oddity. Why is more alcohol a good thing? It doesn't give better flavor or doesn't produce a better aroma.

This would be like the Dutch bragging that their Edam and Gouda has more cholesterol and fat then Swiss cheese, or the French bragging about their cigarettes having more tar and nicotine then American cigs.

Canada's an awesome country, (I lived their briefly in the mid 90's) but y'all need to be proud of something a little more worthy. As an addendum, I have never met a Canadian that doesn't drink. Honestly.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM

430 posts, read 583,541 times
They have a sense of national pride in this when it's compared to the American product because American beer is generally of lower alcoholic content by law. During a US beer strike in the '80s, beer brewed in Vancouver and shipped into the US had to be "denatured" by about 1% to be legally importable.

Well, we'll give 'em that small advantage. That and the Avro Arrow.....

Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
They have a sense of national pride in this when it's compared to the American product because American beer is generally of lower alcoholic content by law. During a US beer strike in the '80s, beer brewed in Vancouver and shipped into the US had to be "denatured" by about 1% to be legally importable.

Well, we'll give 'em that small advantage. That and the Avro Arrow.....
I know, you just repeated what I wrote. My question is, why? Why is more alcohol something to be proud of?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Who said Canadians are proud of the higher alcohol content? None of the canucks I know here in Toronto brag about it... sorry have no idea what you are referring to.. do you have links to news sources that indicate that Canadians boast of the higher alcohol content of their beers?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Who said Canadians are proud of the higher alcohol content? None of the canucks I know here in Toronto brag about it... sorry have no idea what you are referring to.. do you have links to news sources that indicate that Canadians boast of the higher alcohol content of their beers?
I'm gonna say this nicely; you're either being dishonest or live in an igloo in Nunavut. I lived in Canada, dated a Canadian for 2 years, the previous poster knew exactly what I was talking about and there are tons of jokes about the alcohol content of Canadian vs American beer. It's a major bragging point and I want to know why.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I'm gonna say this nicely; you're either being dishonest or live in an igloo in Nunavut. I lived in Canada, dated a Canadian for 2 years, the previous poster knew exactly what I was talking about and there are tons of jokes about the alcohol content of Canadian vs American beer. It's a major bragging point and I want to know why.
I live in Ontario and again, its not a point of pride. Then again, I'm not a young bar fly. Sorry if you disagree.. I'm stating my opinion. No need for rudeness by accusing me of lying or living in an igloo up north, uncalled for. Finally, I did a google.ca search for "Canadians brag about alcohol in beer" and the first item was this thread.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I live in Ontario and again, its not a point of pride. Then again, I'm not a young bar fly. Sorry if you disagree.. I'm stating my opinion. No need for rudeness by accusing me of lying or living in an igloo up north, uncalled for. Finally, I did a google.ca search for "Canadians brag about alcohol in beer" and the first item was this thread.
I apologize for being rude. This came up first in your search because it's the most recent. I'm not making it up, wait until tomorrow, you'll see. Canadians are very honest, they'll admit it.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 AM

482 posts, read 2,419,274 times
It's your standard Canadian "chip on shoulder" reflex. Always looking to find something better than the US, even in the most mundane things... I actually heard a guy brag today that "Canada has more coffee shops than the US, therefore it is more cultured." Lame.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:39 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
You think that's a major brag point, just bring up the US's three invasions of Canada (two official and one unsanctioned). Few Canadians tire of pointing out that all three failed.

The invasion of draft dodgers in the Vietnam years doesn't count since it was not an armed incursion.

The fact of the matter is that Canada has plenty of national accomplishments and distinctions in proportion to its population. The fact that the Canadian population is and has been about 1/9 the US population makes some competitions problematic, but those are meaningless anyway unless that proportion is factored in as a per capita consideration.

The beer pride is probably half minor machismo (reasonably earned, since there aren't that many Canucks I can drink under the table) and half basic pride in the fact that their beer tastes better. I certainly would rather drink mass-market Canabeer than mass-market US beer.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
I lived in Canada for 27 years. There was often the claim that American beer was "weak", or weak as pi$$ as some Canadians would say, but I always understood that to mean it had a lighter body, lower bitterness character, versus alcohol level. Maybe others understood that to mean higher alcohol content.

Besides, from what I remember, the two countries measure alcohol content differently. One by volume, one by weight, so it's difficult to understand whose beer has more alcohol content. And I would suspect the difference is minimal. We used to go over the border for an afternoon and pick up (smuggle) a case of Miller Lite because we liked the light taste. It's not everyone's cup of tea. This was in the 80's and early 90's when microbrewery choices weren't as good. I do remember a lot of comparisons with the US, how Canada was better at this or that. It got boring fast. Two different countries. Apples and oranges. It's like Aussies and Kiwis forever bragging/comparing. Like a form of sibling rivalry perhaps?

But then, bring up Quebec beer and it's a different story. We get Unibroue product here in Oz. 9% alcohol. La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Tres Pistoles. Nice ales. Belgian style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada