Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post

So, given a few more decades of global warming, Canada's Northern Coast should be prime beach resort property =), surrounded by farms
This is exactly why I don't know what the fear of global warming fuss is really about. So ice melts in some areas on the earth and makes it inhabitable, so what? Why not talk about the vast land that becomes habitable thanks to the warming? Why do people simply assume status quo is the best for the Earth and any "change" must be bad?

Anyway, I never thought Canada is really serious about fighting gobal warming anyway. It has the world's second hightest per capita consumption of energy just after the United States and it is not gonna change for my years. It is just the politicians' game. Only the European countries and probably Japan indeed worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Why is Canada's population so low?
Canada used to have millions and millions more people but the polar bears ate them!
This is why the United States initiated global warming to kill off the polar bears before they migrated south.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
This is exactly why I don't know what the fear of global warming fuss is really about. So ice melts in some areas on the earth and makes it inhabitable, so what? Why not talk about the vast land that becomes habitable thanks to the warming? Why do people simply assume status quo is the best for the Earth and any "change" must be bad?

Anyway, I never thought Canada is really serious about fighting gobal warming anyway. It has the world's second hightest per capita consumption of energy just after the United States and it is not gonna change for my years. It is just the politicians' game. Only the European countries and probably Japan indeed worry about it.
Well, I do worry about it - or worry that I should be worrying about it. Even though I recycle and do what I can, it is more because I feel I have to, rather than a feeling of imminent danger to our nation.

I think you hit on why Canada is lacking in real policies to combat global warming though - when we are freezing in the winter and dreaming of Cuban or Mexican beaches, it is hard to see how we personally as a nation would actually suffer, if we did warm up a bit (a lot). I wouldn't mind a couple of orange trees or hibiscus in my garden.

I think Harper goes to those global warming conferences trying to suppress a grin. But when you look at the global consequences, the nations who are already warm, or the island nations in danger of being swamped by melting polar ice, the issue is bigger than we are.

For all the Winterpeg jokes - for the last two weeks, we had actual rain- with temps just above, at, or just below zero Celsius - in January. I can't remember that ever happening before - although the mild spell (for Wintertoba) was broken by a blizzard we are still digging ourselves out of.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
when Canada warms, it doesn't matter what part of the country, it blossoms with vegetation. the soil is just as rich if not richer than that found in most other countries. most of the country is untouched by anthropogenic activities. deserts and many parts of other countries that don't have high population densities suffer from lack of rich soil, freshwater, forests that support lots of biodiversity. a warming period for Canada is all that's needed to transform the land into a place that can easily support hundreds of millions of people. Canada is the only country that ranks top 5 in freshwater that has less than 140 million people

Why do you want 140 million people in CND? don't you think you are better off with 30 million (or less)? do you really think your country would stay as pristine and your quality of life would stay the same if you started getting overcrowded like most countries?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I think Harper goes to those global warming conferences trying to suppress a grin. But when you look at the global consequences, the nations who are already warm, or the island nations in danger of being swamped by melting polar ice, the issue is bigger than we are.
Come on, as noble a thought as that is, no country will formulate policies that targets to benefit the whole world. All government policies should aim at improving the life quality and security in its OWN country, and there is nothing wrong with that. If warming ultimately benefits Canada (I am not saying it really does) and hurts countries in the Caribbean, Canada should indeed embrace it, of course under the disguise of hating and fight it. I suspect that it is exactly what Harper is doing.
From a public policy perspective, no, there is no issue than we are.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Population distribution is largely a result of access to natural resources, history, etc.

Back in the day of settlement and homesteading, people had to farm and raise their own food. This is not possible is 80-90% of Canada. However the remaining 10-20% is just like the United States as far as population density.

Personaly preferences for climate is simply a very recent option that people today have. And high taxes was a non-issue until the last 40 years or so. In a nutshell, its all about historic patterns, when we didn't have options.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 PM

237 posts, read 870,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
when Canada warms, it doesn't matter what part of the country, it blossoms with vegetation. the soil is just as rich if not richer than that found in most other countries. most of the country is untouched by anthropogenic activities. deserts and many parts of other countries that don't have high population densities suffer from lack of rich soil, freshwater, forests that support lots of biodiversity. a warming period for Canada is all that's needed to transform the land into a place that can easily support hundreds of millions of people. Canada is the only country that ranks top 5 in freshwater that has less than 140 million people

Why do you want 140 million people in CND? don't you think you are better off with 30 million (or less)? do you really think your country would stay as pristine and your quality of life would stay the same if you started getting overcrowded like most countries?
because in a world that will have about 8.9 billion people in 2050 where knowledge is widespread and most nations will be considered developed, countries with less than 100 million people will have very little influence on the world stage. that's basically the reason great britain lost its top standing in the world, can't wield much control when you don't have the size. unlike European countries and some Asian countries like Japan, Canada has the size and the resources. If Canada doesn't increase in size (population and thus economy and power) in the future some other larger country is going to come in and rake the country of everything it has.
140 million is not overcrowded. that would have a population density lower than the US's even if most of those people don't live in the north.
officially Canada's population will reach 34 million within a month or two. unofficially it's closer to 35-36 million.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post

Any affluent, geographically large and spread out country is going to have the highest per capita consumption of energy. Australia too. Basically the anglosphere.

European countries and Japan have been geographically constrained as small countries and therefore have been in the conservation mode for a longer time.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
because in a world that will have about 8.9 billion people in 2050 where knowledge is widespread and most nations will be considered developed, countries with less than 100 million people will have very little influence on the world stage. that's basically the reason great britain lost its top standing in the world, can't wield much control when you don't have the size. unlike European countries and some Asian countries like Japan, Canada has the size and the resources. If Canada doesn't increase in size (population and thus economy and power) in the future some other larger country is going to come in and rake the country of everything it has.
140 million is not overcrowded. that would have a population density lower than the US's even if most of those people don't live in the north.
officially Canada's population will reach 34 million within a month or two. unofficially it's closer to 35-36 million.
Size is only one factor. And you can have lots of space and still not have as much natural resources. And vice versa.

The reason why Britain lots its top standing was largely the result of exhausting its resources in the two world wars, and pressure from its colonies for independence. However, its still a globally important country, which one of the most economically and culturally important city in the world.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Canada has a very large emigration rate to the US. Canada doesn't take emigration figures (oddly) but looking at the US immigration stats it appears that the exchange of people between the US and Canada is extremely lopsided. Canada's immigration quota of 250,000 people a year hardly keeps the country growing at a rate comparable to other countries in our hemisphere. Thirdly, Canada has the second largest diaspora in the world after New Zealand, with nearly a million of the ~33 million Canadian citizens choosing to live in the US and nearly another million reside in other countries like the UK, Australia and NZ.

But fourth and most important in (my opinion) is the willingness of people argue and paint Canada as something it's not - a fertile land that is an ideal destination for immigrants and that also keeps this population. Perhaps once this reality has sunk in people and the government can make appropriate reforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada