Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Wow..you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly how I am feeling. Thanks for letting me know it's not just me.......
It's not just you, or Kim, or me. I guess we all feel like that, and act like that. Why, I don't know... We just do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I was just talking to the girl that brought our breathing machine (resperator). I called her while DH was in the shower....I just needed to talk to someone...her DH passed away from ALS so she really knows where I am coming from. She asked if I had any support online on or other wise---I told her about all of you and she was so impressed. Maybe when she comes by someday I'll introduce her to all of you!
It would be great for her to stop by

Call Amber....she is sure to make you smile

How is your kitty and BuBu today?

I hope you finding all the good you can in today. Sending smiles and hugs your way

Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM

164 posts, read 247,409 times
Default caregiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
My mother is in the late stages of Alzheimers. Although I grieve as each day passes and her world becomes smaller and smaller, I realized that caregiving has brought out the best in me. In actuality, its her final "gift" to me, allowing me to care for her. Oh yes, its exhausting, its outcome frightening at times, but I have the opportunity to repay her for she has done for me in giving me life to enjoy. Each day, each moment is precious. Seize the moments!
God Bless you, I cared 4 my beloved Mom with dementia and various other horrific illnesses for the last 10 yrs of her life, yes it was hard to do and even harder to watch her suffer but I'd do it all over again just to have her back here with me
take heart and relish every minute you have with her, big hugs to you too for being such a loving, caring daughter

Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
It's not just you, or Kim, or me. I guess we all feel like that, and act like that. Why, I don't know... We just do.

Because we love so much.

I took a pysch class in college. First thing they said (and I really didn't process it then) was that EVERYTHING you love will cause you pain, eventually. Even a plant. I could hardly look at it like that then. I was young. Now, I know and have thought about that line many times since. It is not a reason not to love, just the reality that comes with loving so much.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Because we love so much.

I took a pysch class in college. First thing they said (and I really didn't process it then) was that EVERYTHING you love will cause you pain, eventually. Even a plant. I could hardly look at it like that then. I was young. Now, I know and have thought about that line many times since. It is not a reason not to love, just the reality that comes with loving so much.
Oh my word that is so true! I'm glad your DD recovered also and you were able to share that experience with cyn & others reading. Thank you to all that shares your journey to help ease cyn's.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
Default So true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Just stopping by...thinking about you, cyn, and hoping you are feeling a bit more "up".

One thing I remember about taking care of my DD through all her cancer stuff...feeling alone. Even though I did what I had to do, there were days and nights where I just felt so alone. I had people around me that I could call and such, but I felt the same as you...I didn't want to bring them down. Maybe that is dumb, because, now looking back, maybe they would have brought me up. And sometimes I just didn't want to talk "cancer" or anything medical. I just wanted to talk anything but that. Then, I would think about my DD going through all this and I would snap out of it. She is my hero, today and forever. But, boy, it was emotionally difficult, and you don't really want them to know you feel that way so you hold it all in. I do so understand what you are feeling. I tried not to let fear seep in, but it was there. I'm glad that you have animals to divert your attention at times. I know you feel nothing but love from them. They take nothing, but give everything!

Sending prayers for comfort and strength, cyn. Always. ((hugs))
Very well said.

Cyn, (hugs)

Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Good morning cyn and Friends. I see this thread is growing. Does my heart good.

Kimba.....that was beautiful.

Live in the moment.

Cyn........Always in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Good morning, cyn and everyone else.

Wow. Had some bizarre dreams. I had a dream Felix was calling me and he was wrapped up in his blankets and could not get out. THen some man told him we lived in a dirty house. And he meant to do something about it. I was really scared and told Felix "He should have seen it two months ago." And for some reason that struck me funny and I woke up.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Good morning my dear friends!
Kimba, you just keep saying all the right things! Thank you! I know this helps not only me but anyone reading here experiencing similar situations.
Jaxson, I did talk to Amber and she said she will try to get up here--we'll see--she is a very busy mom and works and she really doesn't go on the computer much anymore but we'll see......
DH had another bad evening. He was trying to eat and started choking again. I could not only see the fear from choking but the frusteration. He said it won't be long before he won't be able to eat anything. He didn't say much the rest of the evening but was very sad.... I feel so badly because he has always enjoyed good food and now we are so limited as to what he can eat and it won't be long before he won't be able to eat at all. One more page in the ALS story.....sigh...I hate ALS!
I am looking so forward to going to the clinic next Friday so we can hopefully get some help with some of the problems he is having and I pray he gets that medication assistance so he can start that ASAP.
BuBu seems to be fine now thank God...kitty is doing well for her age, 17 years old, and her weight. She is very over weight and I am sure she has some physical problems but for now she seems content and no more messes! I have been blessed to have all of my kitties I rescued and brought from CA to have lived to these old ages--but I know they are old and none of us live forever so there will be some very sad days in the future but until then I plan on taking full advantage of what I have now!
Mornin' Redbird!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
Hi, all.

Cyn, I just got off the phone w/Elston and he asked me to let OOH know that his computer has died completely and he probably won't be online for a while. More importantly, he wanted me to let you know that he'll miss being able to drop in every morning and evening to check on you and let you know he's with you. He was very worried that you'd think he'd forgotten you, but he hasn't and won't. He should be back within the week..he and DP are headed out to find a new computer, but he's not sure how long it will be before he is able to get it hooked up and all.

So, a big hug from Elston, and me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving