Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

Stop. One thing at a time. Do not borrow trouble.

Woo-hoo, the deal is done! One less thing on your plate.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
<>
I can feel every bit of this coming.
<>
AUGH.
You definitely have a novel or three in you from all this.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
How about having a tow truck on the ready to take his vehicle anywhere he wants? Save yourself aggravation.

Of course, that isn't really the answer because he is probably just going to mess around and find something to complain about.

I just don't see how you do it KoA. Good luck on your trip and hooray for house sale.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
When all this is over, the less you have to do with that brother, the better.
Well, amen to that. Unfortunately he is trying to move to the very same town I live in. I mean, I understand that because my mom and I both live here but I am not looking forward to the potential drama. I do feel very sorry for him but still - he is seriously mentally ill and has threatened me in the past so I'm very cautious about him. Good news is that his meds and therapy do seem effective. But he is still unstable and a bit unpredictable.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
How about having a tow truck on the ready to take his vehicle anywhere he wants? Save yourself aggravation.

Of course, that isn't really the answer because he is probably just going to mess around and find something to complain about.

I just don't see how you do it KoA. Good luck on your trip and hooray for house sale.
LOL I don't see how I do it either! I just do it. It has to be done. Someone has to do it. Tag, I'm it. So I do it.

I'm serious - water aerobics and eating cleaner have both really been helpful to me. Also just MAKING myself quit thinking about it all sometimes and doing something fun and positive with my husband or my daughter and/or grandkids or my "normal" brother. Or my best friend, who has also been great through all this.

She just told me yesterday that when my dad was in the hospital and I had stepped out of the room to take a phone call, she promised him that she would be there for me through all of this. That means a lot to me.

Anyway, I have someone lined up who can help tow those vehicles that very day. So no excuse there. But yes, he'll find something else to piddle with and complain about and feel victimized by. If he even shows up, which I really hope he doesn't.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Stop. One thing at a time. Do not borrow trouble.

Woo-hoo, the deal is done! One less thing on your plate.
That's true! Maybe my brother just won't even go to the farm.

I already have the attorney drafting a letter stating that ownership of whatever is left on the property 30 days after closing will be transferred to the new owners. I figure he can mail that out to ALL family members, not just that one brother, so that we're clear on everything.

I'm waiting to hear back from the attorney but to me it seems logical.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM

687 posts, read 637,479 times
It's almost over, Kathryn - at least this important and difficult part! Yay - congratulations! You're seeing the fruit from all that work. Here's hoping your brother does NOT move closer to you.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseco View Post
It's almost over, Kathryn - at least this important and difficult part! Yay - congratulations! You're seeing the fruit from all that work. Here's hoping your brother does NOT move closer to you.
Yes! Unfortunately I think he will. I mean within 30 miles. Should be interesting.

Now all that's left is three more pieces of property (no rush to sell two of them though), mineral rights transferred from my dad's name to my mom's, closing down his business, filing the final tax return on that, another final tax return on the estate, and then my mom's personal tax return (including estate stuff) for 2018 - but those last two tax returns aren't due to next April, so that's OK.

So I can focus on filing OUR personal and business tax returns which we filed an extension on for the first time ever due to all this upheaval in our lives!

Oh, and I do have to figure out the best way to invest Mom's money so that it grows and produces income.

It is a huge relief though to have the bulk of that property sold. I've been busy today calling utilities and insurance and all that and canceling all that. About to leave to take my mom to run errands.

BUT PROGRESS IS BEING MADE!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I heard a statistic recently - that 40% of people over the age of 87 experience some form of mild dementia. We put a hospital bed in the middle of the living room last week - a room with an amazing view - removed the clutter but kept the antique stuff. Change from fully independent to fairly dependent happened so fast.
I'm surprised it's not higher.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:25 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Hey it was a good read. Boy youve had quite the adventure. Ive had a few adventures too but nothing to compare. My Moms adventure is over. A new one is starting with the Huz.

Glad to hear things are going well. Hopefully you can keep her on her meds.

My Moms house smelled too. Try some regular charcoal. Not the self lighting kind that is treated with lighter fluid. You can buy activated charcoal but the grilling stuff works just as well.

I feel for you. I hate being hot. And I really hate being all sweaty and having to look presentable. I tell ya if I didn't like my old peeps so much I would have quit a long time ago. No matter what the season its like the 7th level of Hell at their house. I try not to complain though because they turn the temperature down for me. I dont even want to know what it was before.

They say as you get older you get colder. I hope so but I'm not counting on it. Mom was hot till the end. Being hot is so inconvenient. At 67 theres only so much you can take off and still be decent.
My parents stayed hot until the end too. I loved their condo because it was always so cool. My SIL hated it, she was always freezing there.

MY DH and are lucky in that we both like it cool, the main floor is 71 or 72 all the time and the bedrooms are 67 because we like it cold when we got to bed.

My inlaws kept their house so hot, it was so uncomfortable for everyone except them.

Why do the homes of elderly smell bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving