Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 04:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

Perhaps she could go do water aerobics in a chlorinated pool!

Old 02-25-2017, 06:31 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
That is really amazing about the schizophrenia connection. Do you think a GP would be knowledgable about that, or would it be more helpful to deal with a psychiatrist? Just what you need - another appointment, right?!

You may have really hit upon an issue here, especially since her entire living quarters and clothing seem permeated.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
That is really amazing about the schizophrenia connection. Do you think a GP would be knowledgable about that, or would it be more helpful to deal with a psychiatrist? Just what you need - another appointment, right?!

You may have really hit upon an issue here, especially since her entire living quarters and clothing seem permeated.
I know! And I just met with her psychiatrist recently. So I'm not really looking forward to trying to do so again.

The thing is, I'm not sure this odor can even be corrected if it's related to schizophrenia. It's not like schizophrenia is curable.

Wow, what a strange world we live in.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:06 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know! And I just met with her psychiatrist recently. So I'm not really looking forward to trying to do so again.

The thing is, I'm not sure this odor can even be corrected if it's related to schizophrenia. It's not like schizophrenia is curable.

Wow, what a strange world we live in.
No, but it is manageable, and to a higher degree than ever before, from what I'm understanding.

I'd think it'd be important, if possible, to check this problem out with a neurologist who is also a neuro-scientist. I'd think there would be a better chance finding her solution with one of these.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
No, but it is manageable, and to a higher degree than ever before, from what I'm understanding.

I'd think it'd be important, if possible, to check this problem out with a neurologist who is also a neuro-scientist. I'd think there would be a better chance finding her solution with one of these.
Well, I think we need to rule out simpler things first. And like I said, shizophrenia isn't curable so I'm not even sure that if this IS causing her issues, the smell will ever go away.

She's on a pretty strong med for her bipolar disorder and she has responded beautifully to it. It is also used to treat schizophrenia. And we did up her dosage recently. So here's how I feel - let's rule out other causes first and if those are all ruled out, then I will discuss it with her psychiatrist and/or neurologist.

I'm just amazed to find that schizophrenia can cause an odor that is exactly as I described. WOW.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Although, I am sure that you are aware of this, when you find the cause of the odor someone will need to do a complete and through cleaning of her apartment, probably even cleaning any rugs or carpeting and the upholstery of the couch and chairs. And, of course, every bit of her clothing will need to washed or dry cleaned. Even if it as simple as not taking enough baths and not changing her pads often enough, once she starts doing those things the odor will still be there because of her dirty, unwashed clothes & the smell in the rugs & upholstery . Since, your mom has available money this can easily be something that could be delegated to an agency or person/team that specializes in those things.

Now, you may have to get Mom out of her apartment while that is being done, but maybe it could coincide with an overnight visit to a grandchild or her son or something like that.

BTW, I wanted to mention that when Hubby was in rehab (both in a skilled nursing facility & as an outpatient) the occupational therapy taught him once he removed an article of clothing to always put it in the dirty clothes basket. Now, for hubby, it worked too well as he may wear a sweater or a pair of jeans for a couple of hours and then he changes clothes and it immediately goes into the wash basket. For a while he had three sets of clothes each and every day in the laundry (night wear -sweatpants & a tee shirt, a dress shirt & dress pants and casual evening clothes). Now, it is usually only two sets of clothes. But, I didn't mind as he had a routine (but, all that washing does wear out the clothes a lot faster & boy, oh, boy do we go through quarters every week to use in the pay washers & dryers in the apartment complex).

I don't know if this is something that occupational therapists normally do but perhaps you could ask the doctor or one of her previous therapists.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Although, I am sure that you are aware of this, when you find the cause of the odor someone will need to do a complete and through cleaning of her apartment, probably even cleaning any rugs or carpeting and the upholstery of the couch and chairs. And, of course, every bit of her clothing will need to washed or dry cleaned. Even if it as simple as not taking enough baths and not changing her pads often enough, once she starts doing those things the odor will still be there because of her dirty, unwashed clothes & the smell in the rugs & upholstery . Since, your mom has available money this can easily be something that could be delegated to an agency or person/team that specializes in those things.

Now, you may have to get Mom out of her apartment while that is being done, but maybe it could coincide with an overnight visit to a grandchild or her son or something like that.

BTW, I wanted to mention that when Hubby was in rehab (both in a skilled nursing facility & as an outpatient) the occupational therapy taught him once he removed an article of clothing to always put it in the dirty clothes basket. Now, for hubby, it worked too well as he may wear a sweater or a pair of jeans for a couple of hours and then he changes clothes and it immediately goes into the wash basket. For a while he had three sets of clothes each and every day in the laundry (night wear -sweatpants & a tee shirt, a dress shirt & dress pants and casual evening clothes). Now, it is usually only two sets of clothes. But, I didn't mind as he had a routine (but, all that washing does wear out the clothes a lot faster & boy, oh, boy do we go through quarters every week to use in the pay washers & dryers in the apartment complex).

I don't know if this is something that occupational therapists normally do but perhaps you could ask the doctor or one of her previous therapists.

Thank you. Good ideas if the cause of the odor can be corrected.

If it's caused - literally caused - by her mental illness - I'm not sure it can ever really be eradicated.

Schizophrenia Daily News Blog: Chemical in Sweat and Inability to Smell it May be Schizophrenia Marker

Old 02-26-2017, 03:28 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,338,548 times
If the problem is a chemical in her sweat, wouldn't more bathing be helpful? Maybe you could give her nice scented powder to use after her showers, to put under her arms and elsewhere. I love Shalimar so I have Shalimar body powder. Make a big deal of giving her this wonderful gift that she can use EVERY DAY after her shower.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:50 PM

I really wish that people who leave notes for me as rep points wouldn't do so anonymously - the best thing to do is send me a PM so I can respond. Otherwise, it comes across more as cowardly than helpful.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 AM

And I'll answer the anonymous "advice" given to me in that rep - the "helpful advice" was basically "your mom needs to be in a nursing home."

No, my mom does not need to be a nursing home. In fact, now that she's taking her meds regularly (which may be exacerbating the odor problem), she is doing MUCH better when it comes to confusion about time and dates and short term memory issues. She is no longer up at all hours of the day or night, and her mood is a lot more stable and pleasant.

My mom is 100 percent mobile and able to dress and feed herself. She is able to do light housekeeping (and she does do that - her main living area is picked up and clean - it's just her closet and bathroom that are a hot mess, and even the most independent and competent adults can have very messy closets and bathrooms). Now that she's on her meds correctly(with the timed meds dispenser with the alarms that I bought her - which is working beautifully), she is back into a normal sleeping and eating pattern and is having a much easier time with dates and times and that sort of thing - not perfect but the staff helps her keep things straight - for instance they come and remind her of meal times or if she's going to catch a bus to her therapy.

Now that her mood is better, she has joined a bible study and is seriously discussing starting a writing group at her facility. She's even met with several people about it (the facility will help them pick a date, time and location and will "advertise" the group).

My mom's issues are very scattered - she doesn't have classic Alzheimer's type dementia.

Yes, my mom is high maintenance and she's a moody, capricious person - due mostly to her bipolar disorder (which is always present but does respond well to her meds) and made worse by her sketchy and somewhat unpredictable level of mild dementia. But she is not to the point of needing nursing home care and she would be aghast and utterly miserable in that sort of environment. It will come to that point one day, but today is not that day. Other than her mild cognitive issues and VERY ornery personality, she has no other significant health problems - no other diseases (no diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, etc) and her vital signs and blood work are all GREAT. Considering that she had a stroke eleven years ago and a broken hip a year ago, she is doing FANTASTIC from a strength and vitality perspective. No, she can't drive, and no, she can't pay her own bills, and no, she's not reasonable much of the time, but round the clock nursing home care? Not necessary at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving