Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,885 times

Advertisements

Asking my trusty CD cat friends for some advice/info...

1. What's your opinion on those Fancy Feast "Appetizers" that they have for kitties? Good? Bad? Ok to feed as a "treat"?

2. I was cooking chicken the other night and once it came out of the oven...I had three nosey kittens standing on my kitchen table. It was just plain chicken breast...baked in the oven. Is it okay to feed them a tiny bit? Or don't even start with the people food?

3. Anyone have any opinions on Newman's Own kitty food? I read a website that grades all the different food, and this one wasn't on there.

Sorry for all the questions...I like to get all the information I can to help my new babies live long happy lives. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Fancy Feast is junk food. It's not healthy at all, and has grains, fillers and meat by-products. Please feed your kitties a premium cat food. It's much better for them.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 AM

I didn't ask about Fancy Feast food...I know that's no good. I'm asking specifically about the "appetizers". They are said to have no by-products or fillers.

I'm feeding them Royal Canin kitten food regularly.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
I've gotten a few of those for my cats and they have chowed down. It is just chicken, tuna, whatever with broth. I don't see a problem with it. I read somewhere today that the Newman's Own food has soy in it.

I'm still trying to find a quality food my cats will like and it is a challenge. I finally found a place where I can order individual cans of different foods instead of a whole case. This way I can find something they like and then order a case. They seem to be enjoying Taste of the Wild grain-free dry food.

Taste of the Wild : Home

Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I don't see any harm in feeding them chicken; ours get it on occasion and they love the treat. They also beg when they see me making turkey sandwiches, the little spoiled brats. It's kinda cute and pathetic all at once. At least they don't jump up on the kitchen counter ... I don't see any harm in giving them a treat of Fancy Feast appetizers, either, on occasion; there may be better treats, but it's up to you.

I've never read a Newman's Own label, so I can't help you there.

How are the little ones doing?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Re: Newman's Own....This is on the few cans I bought just to try....
Chicken & Salmon:
Organic Chicken, Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Ocean Whitefish, Organic Brown Rice, Oat Bran, Tricalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Dried Kelp, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Aicd Chelate, Copper Amino Aicd Chelate, Manganese Amino Aicd Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Carrageenan, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Bitoin), Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

The girls are doing great. They still stay up in my bedroom when I'm at work...and then they run like banshees when I get home. For a 2, 3 and 4 pound cat...they sure sound like a herd of elephants! I miss them terribly when I'm at work...and we all snuggle at night when we finally go to sleep. Life is good.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Our kitties get to try different people foods. One loves scrambled eggs and any kind of chicken. She even likes mild sausage. The other takes a bite of people food, spits it out and prefers her canned cat food.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Sadie was a total beggar. She wanted to see EVERYTHING that I was eating...and didn't turn much down. LOL That's why I wasn't sure if I wanted to start this with my new ones. Of anything...I'd imagine chicken would be good for them, at least!?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelizePlease View Post
Sadie was a total beggar. She wanted to see EVERYTHING that I was eating...and didn't turn much down. LOL That's why I wasn't sure if I wanted to start this with my new ones. Of anything...I'd imagine chicken would be good for them, at least!?
I believe it is, especially the organs. Mine get raw hearts, gizzards and livers at least once a week.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I believe it is, especially the organs. Mine get raw hearts, gizzards and livers at least once a week.
Yikes. You couldn't pay me to even touch hearts, gizzards and livers. LOL I stick to boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats