Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:20 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post

(A famous man once said: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.)
LOL!

People will continue to believe that unless something is prescribed by a person with letters following his or her name it's a "hoax", that unless it's knocks you out or covers up symptoms quickly, it isn't working. Holistic methods of healing, including homeopathy, address the root of the problem, they're not "band-aids"...true healing takes time, it's not something a pill full of chemicals can "fix". Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, of course, but it's not cool to simply discount information from others without having any sort of knowledge about it in the first place...reading an article or two doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
LOL!

People will continue to believe that unless something is prescribed by a person with letters following his or her name it's a "hoax", that unless it's knocks you out or covers up symptoms quickly, it isn't working. Holistic methods of healing, including homeopathy, address the root of the problem, they're not "band-aids"...true healing takes time, it's not something a pill full of chemicals can "fix". Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, of course, but it's not cool to simply discount information from others without having any sort of knowledge about it in the first place...reading an article or two doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.
Relief spells.....L-U-V-M-Y-C-A-T and H_O_F! Thank you! (((HUGS))) Thank you!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
This appears to be another contentious topic (like declawing). Please remain on the original topic (WET FOOD for CATS) so that this thread with a lot of valuable information does not have to be closed.

Remember the ToS &

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-14-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Here is just a sampling which Feline Outreach has listed here Feline Outreach - Education
of all the Veterinary Expertise not made available to the mainstream public, for their work in treating their strict carnivorous patients is not affiliated with anything commercial-for-profit.

Diabetes and Obesity: The preventable epidemics by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM, Esq.

Dietary Recommendations for Cats with DM by Dr. Deborah Greco, DVM, PhD, DACVIM

Why Cats Need Canned Food by Jean Hofve, DVM

http://www.for-petes-sake.com/Pottenger.pdf (broken link)
Dr Pottinger's work)

Diabetes, Obesity, and Diet | Dr. Arnold Plotnick | Feline Articles

by Arnold Plotnick MS, DVM, ACVIM, ABVP

Moderator cut: per request
[/url] Some links have moved, will find them later :>)

Last edited by Keeper; 11-16-2010 at 05:11 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM

20 posts, read 26,683 times
nancy thereader, well said and amen to that. HOF4256, I will go to these links to educate myself better and for the overall health of my cats. Thank you.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Default No studies done

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
LOL!

People will continue to believe that unless something is prescribed by a person with letters following his or her name it's a "hoax", that unless it's knocks you out or covers up symptoms quickly, it isn't working. Holistic methods of healing, ........
I believe, from what I've read online, that it's the lack of double blind studies that discourage most people where holistic and homeopathic methods are concerned. Anecdotes are really meaningless. Anyone can write them for any number of reasons. There are no controlled scientific studies behind these methods, just someone's claims. For example: Have you read some of the outrageous claims and cures made for cancer by the those into Holistic/homeo' methods? Peach pit cures. Magic zapper cures. Colon purges.... and they all swear these "cures" work. Are they just the lunatic fringe?

Last edited by =^..^=; 11-15-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Thanks, HOF4256 A couple of those links are new for me, so I also am going to do some reading.

I'm so glad the thread is getting back to a kindly, dispassionate discussion of the topic. I believe much valuable information is being referenced and this is helpful and productive.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Hhi, I'm the OP. Just wanted to say that I bought Wellness dry kibble at Petsmart and Oscar has not thrown up once since then. I added a water dish right next to their kibble and will try to start wading thru all the referenced links. I'm so glad so many people have responded to my OP and there is a wealth of information in this thread. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
If you feed a high quality dry kibble... mix in water & let soak for 1-2 minutes. This will help hydrate the kitty as well as soften the food so that it's easier for the cat to eat. Just be sure to throw out what the cat dose not eat. Just my opinion of a solution for those who cannot afford to go canned or raw, but can afford a good quality dry food. I know it's not perfect, but...

Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Hi, I am sooo sorry I was rushing today -- here is DR. Zoran's paper which I had to edit out then find the new link/location for.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejacm2/id1.html"]http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html

The Carnivore Connection to Nutrition in Cats by Dr. Debra Zoran, DVM, PhD,
DACVIM; Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA
12/1/02)
http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejacm2/id1.html - broken link)

Regarding the last link in previous post by Dr Plotnic, it was posted in haste while looking for Dr. Zoran's and I must apologize for any potentially detrimental info contained. (I, like many, also trust NO brand which was part of the mass recalls and wouldn't, even without the recalls, due to the questionable ingredients.)

I had trust that his entire article would stay true to form (in respect to the obligate carnivore) , however now see that he mentions a couple of specific brand foods

(That damn "trust" thing -- when will I ever learn?!) http://www.city-data.com/forum/16635833-post85.html

Even though I may think a food is the greatest thing on Earth, I could never recommend one to anybody because, you just never know who will change an ingredient. or where they get it from, if it contains Ethoxyquin (a concern with fish...) or which one will be recalled next, so I am sorry to have posted a site endorsing specific commercial brand associated with recalls in the past.

Anyone who is familiar with, or will become familiar with the Foremost Expert, Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins, will know that she, herself advised on-has the patent of the formulation of one of the foods but did not have "total control" of everything that actually went into it. (They also produced a dry one with the same name without her blessing.)

She discovered how to get Diabetic cats into remission and advises, along with her counterparts, to feed other much more species-appropriate diets than those.

I promise, NO more rushing posts before work without being thorough!!

Last edited by Pamina333; 11-15-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats