Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:52 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times

Advertisements

As others said, the introduction was all wrong. Just simply follow the great advice of people here and reintroduce them.

I have 20 cats, so yes, been through this whole thing a few times, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 10:20 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscall5574 View Post
Hi! I have a 14 mth old male that we adopted when he was 10 wks old. Both of our adult females took to him within weeks, probably due to them loosing their older brother a year before. He is a huge boy at 15lbs and over 3 feet long! However as he has gotten older he is trying to dominate the girls, always chasing after them and sometimes getting into all out cat fights with them. Water doesn’t work on him since he like to jump in the shower lol. The only thing that i have found that sorta works is a time out in the bathroom, and then he is ok for a few hours. But then goes back to chasing them down. He was bottle fed with his sister in a foster home because their mother had died when they were about 3 days old. He is very clingy with me and has to sleep with me and follows me everywhere. My vet says he just doesn’t realize how big he is compared to the girls and should outgrow this aggressive behaviors, but we still worry that he might hurt one of the girls. His name is Hades, an appropriate name lol. Any advice would be helpful, thank you and stay healthy and safe in these trying times.

He's just being a kitten. This is not "aggressive behavior", it is extremely common, especially in kittens not raised in a litter.

Stop trying to discipline him and distract him instead. Cats don't understand "discipline" when exhibiting natural to them behavior. They need something more appropriagte to replace what they are doing, not stop it all together. He needs a lot of play time from his humans, so he will stop pestering the older cats. When he starts trying to play with them, you need to intervene so they can have peace. Intervene by playing Games with him.

In addition to intervening, play at scheduled times, so he knows when to expect these activities.

Shutting him away in the bathroom isn't really a useful action. What he needs is more activity for his brain and body. Give the older cats places to go where he can't get to them, and engage him in activities that exercise his body and brain.

Also, consider their diets, because diet has a lot to do with behavior. Be sure they are getting a diet high in meat protein and low in carbs and sugar. Wet only.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:53 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
I assume he's neutered. If not, I strongly advise you do so. If he is, then follow catsmom's advice and stop the discipline/punishment. That does not work with cats. he's probably several months away from being an adult, and will grow out of it most likely. Distract him to something else when he acts up in the mean time.
One more thing.... don't 'bribe' him to stop the unwanted behavior. That's rewarding him for the wrong thing and makes him the trainer, and you the trainee.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I assume he's neutered. If not, I strongly advise you do so. If he is, then follow catsmom's advice and stop the discipline/punishment. That does not work with cats. he's probably several months away from being an adult, and will grow out of it most likely. Distract him to something else when he acts up in the mean time.
One more thing.... don't 'bribe' him to stop the unwanted behavior. That's rewarding him for the wrong thing and makes him the trainer, and you the trainee.

Good point, about the neuter.

To everyone reading, please take note that the original post in this thread was over 9 years ago. We are responding to a new post from today at the bottom of Page 2

Old 04-21-2020, 01:00 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Have you tried Feliway diffusers?

Old 08-10-2020, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 1,064 times
Default An update on Hades!

My big boy is now 1 1/2 yrs old, some of the behavior has settled a bit, but at 17 1/2 lbs he’s still growing the vet said lol.we are all positive he is not all domestic cat, 3 1/2 ft long, over a ft tall, skinny as a rail lol! I have started taking him on walks outside with a harness and leash and he loves it! The only new behavior we are worried about is when one of my females tries to jump in the window 3-4 ft up the wall he grabs them by their back leg in his mouth and pulls them down. The vet has recommended calming collars and drops to see if it will help, so we just started trying that. We do still give him mostly wet food, he eats a 1/2 a can 2x a day and then tries to steal the girls food. So for now we either stay nearby and watch or feed him separately per the vets orders. The is convinced he is still not done growing, even his voice has not changed yet other than a few times he has used his big boy meow and scares himself with it lol. Then he starts looking for the cat that made the deep meow lol. Thanks everyone for all the great advice, will keep everyone updated. Stay safe all!

Old 08-10-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscall5574 View Post
My big boy is now 1 1/2 yrs old, some of the behavior has settled a bit, but at 17 1/2 lbs he’s still growing the vet said lol.we are all positive he is not all domestic cat, 3 1/2 ft long, over a ft tall, skinny as a rail lol! I have started taking him on walks outside with a harness and leash and he loves it! The only new behavior we are worried about is when one of my females tries to jump in the window 3-4 ft up the wall he grabs them by their back leg in his mouth and pulls them down. The vet has recommended calming collars and drops to see if it will help, so we just started trying that. We do still give him mostly wet food, he eats a 1/2 a can 2x a day and then tries to steal the girls food. So for now we either stay nearby and watch or feed him separately per the vets orders. The is convinced he is still not done growing, even his voice has not changed yet other than a few times he has used his big boy meow and scares himself with it lol. Then he starts looking for the cat that made the deep meow lol. Thanks everyone for all the great advice, will keep everyone updated. Stay safe all!

What size can? If you are talking about the normal 5 1/2 ounce cans this is not enough, not nearly enough food, for a 17 pound cat. One can a day is enough for a 9 pound cat. He needs double, at least.

Have you considered a raw diet?

Also, have you looked into cat wheels? The harnessed walking is a great idea.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,064 times
Default Feedings

The vet said 1/2 a can of friskies is perfect for him, 5.5 ounces 2x a day because he has a 1/2 cup of dry food, purina i door, and he eats what the girls don’t. The vet said his body type will always be very slim. And yes i take him outside to walk 3-4x a day and have like 20 stick toys he goes crazy over as well as a laser light which he goes crazy for chasing it!he’s a big boy and according to the vet is still not full grown at a 1 1/2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats