Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but this is my opinion. In ideal surroundings/environment, I don't see a problem with cats having the freedom to roam and come back home.

As for cat poo, I would rather that in my garden than bird poo on my washed clothes hanging on the line.

The three cats I own today are indoor cats for their own safety and my peace of mind, nothing to do with the approval of neighbours.

I own a dog and always poo scoop (clean it up), I find it annoying to find that someone else's dog has poo'd outside my gate. I just shovel it into the privet hedging, it doesn't make it right these owners are irresponsible but the fact that I own pets, shovelling poo is a pass time for me.

Have you considered securing your garden with cat proof fencing, no doubt it will stop any unwanted anminal entering your garden. I have seen threads like this before where people feel it isn't up to them to keep cats out its up to the owners to keep cats in. Okay why secure your house by locking the door, its the same principle. No-one has a right to enter your home but its up to you to keep them out.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Have you considered securing your garden with cat proof fencing, no doubt it will stop any unwanted anminal entering your garden."

I would be interested to see what 'cat-proof fencing' looks like, and have someone explain to me why I would spend a fortune putting up something that surrounds 41 acres, for a problem that was caused by the negligence of someone else.

Quote:"I have seen threads like this before where people feel it isn't up to them to keep cats out its up to the owners to keep cats in."

Or, it can be viewed as 'owners are so entitled that they can let their pets do anything they want, with utterly no regard for others.'

That is because it is the OWNER'S FAULT that the cats are coming in.
Let me build a cement factory next to your house, and then blame you for not adequately sound-proofing your house.

Quote:"No-one has a right to enter your home but its up to you to keep them out."

I know. I know exactly how to (legally) keep the cats out, and the same with burglars. The latter goes to jail, the former goes to the pound.
Problem solved. Thank you for the guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Personal preferences have no relevance to this discussion.
It appears that only your personal preferences (and those who share them) "have relevance to this discussion". But thank you for so rudely setting out the rules. I'm done with this thread.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
...I have seen threads like this before where people feel it isn't up to them to keep cats out its up to the owners to keep cats in. Okay why secure your house by locking the door, its the same principle. No-one has a right to enter your home but its up to you to keep them out.
It is also up to any responsible "humans" who can understand the law of NO TRESPASSING, understand the home & land ownership & territorial rights of these owners to know what NO TRESPASSING is.

= even if my door is left open, no one invited is supposed to come inside my house. If an uninvited person comes barging in... I can & will legally shoot.
Why? "No-one has a right to enter my house" period. Locked or not.

It is up to ME to keep these unwanted visitor OUT by...

The law.
That works for most part for any smart thinking & reasoning, responsible fellow humans who can read & understand that right of "no trespassing" of that land/home owner.

The court.
When the law fails & I start to document to get ready to sue.

And if that fails too...
Then I can take matters into my own hands = shoot all my unwanted visitors = be it human or their pets.

Errr.. sorry there is no stating in the law that I will need a fence around my land to keep out the "unwanted" period for "No trespassing". = Why is it up to me to establish a fence to keep that unwanted visitor out??? = up to the "stranger" (petowner) who can [B]READ[/B] to teach the "Illiterate" cat to keep off MY PROPERTY.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM

410 posts, read 742,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Quote:"Have you considered securing your garden with cat proof fencing, no doubt it will stop any unwanted anminal entering your garden."

I would be interested to see what 'cat-proof fencing' looks like, and have someone explain to me why I would spend a fortune putting up something that surrounds 41 acres, for a problem that was caused by the negligence of someone else.
Lol... You have 41 acres of land and you expect one particular type of animal to stay off of that land.

You're right, this thread is going in circles. Some if it just seems ridiculous to me... I think I'll pass on continuing with this thread.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,794 times
Sorry guys that's how it is in the UK. We are not legally allowed guns and it is legal for cat owners to allow their domestic cats to roam free. In fact the majority of cat rescues will not allow a cat to be rehomed if the potential owner doesn't have a cat flap. However the potential owner has to live 500m from a main road or school bus run.

As I have said I don't have a problem with cats having the freedom to roam, we don't have a problem with stray/homeless cats in the UK as other Countries do. Our neighbours have a beautiful ginger cats that comes into our garden regularly, I have actually encouraged him.

The type of fencing I have considered is to give my boys the freedom to roam round our garden but it will obviously keep other cats out.

I will be honest I couldn't shoot or kill anything not unless my own life was at risk.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Lol... You have 41 acres of land and you expect one particular type of animal to stay off of that land.

You're right, this thread is going in circles. Some if it just seems ridiculous to me... I think I'll pass on continuing with this thread.
Expect that's not what he's saying. He doesn't expect 'cats' to stay off his land. I expect to have ferals or strays on occasion. He expects his neighbor to be responsible for their PET and to keep it off his land- just like you would expect your neighbor to keep their pet dog, horse, snake, or raccoon off your land.

PET CATS ARE NOT MAGICAL. There is NO logical difference between a pet cat on your neighbor's land and putting your pet horse on your neighbor's land, or letting your kids play on your neighbor's land. You opted to get a cat. That cat belongs to you, not your neighbor. You are expecting your neighbor to deal with the consequences of your actions, and then wandering innocently why people are annoyed by this concept.

This is not about cats. This is about PETS, and who is ultimately responsible for a pet's action. It isn't the pet, and it sure isn't the neighbor.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Expect that's not what he's saying. He doesn't expect 'cats' to stay off his land. I expect to have ferals or strays on occasion. He expects his neighbor to be responsible for their PET and to keep it off his land- just like you would expect your neighbor to keep their pet dog, horse, snake, or raccoon off your land.

PET CATS ARE NOT MAGICAL. There is NO logical difference between a pet cat on your neighbor's land and putting your pet horse on your neighbor's land, or letting your kids play on your neighbor's land. You opted to get a cat. That cat belongs to you, not your neighbor. You are expecting your neighbor to deal with the consequences of your actions, and then wandering innocently why people are annoyed by this concept.

This is not about cats. This is about PETS, and who is ultimately responsible for a pet's action. It isn't the pet, and it sure isn't the neighbor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well said. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
A-MEN
A-MEN
A-MEN

This post should be reproduced and required reading for all cat owners

Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Simple, the coyotes have to eat too
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Our wild Rindge fisher cats consider domestic cats a tasty morsel. SO do the coy-dogs and foxes.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That's ok.... but before you go, could you tell us all if you would pick option #1 or option #2 from one of my prior posts?

#1:To make us all happy, you keep your cat from illegally trespassing in my yard, and you will enjoy your cat for many years to come. On my end, I will enjoy my wild birds and songbirds for my many years to come. See?
We are all happy.

#2:You don't keep your cat from illegally trespassing in my yard. On my end, I will enjoy my wild birds and songbirds for my many years to come. I'm still happy.

Inquiring minds would like to know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats