Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:10 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,607 times

Advertisements

I have a cat who chews electrical cords like crazy. We had to cover all of the cords with plastic something or other. (can't think what it's called) Anyway, it solved the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM

35 posts, read 82,663 times
If you drop a cigarette cellophane, or the window from an envelope anywhere near my male tabby cat... There will be an inevitable 3AM gnawing that will travel up your spine until you MUST get up & put a stop to that blasted noise!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,765 times
Talking Cats

My wife and i have 5 cats and 3 of them like to lick walmart bags. i have no idea why, but it sure is funny to watch.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,829 times
2 of my cats love plastic! Especially bread bags and walmart bags. They never eat them though, just sort of Chomp on them and lick them. They do this also with any crinkly wrapper, cough drops, candy-- it cracks me up because they hear me open something and they both come running like its treat time!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We had a cat (RIP) that liked to lick plastic grocery bags. No idea why, other than he was exceedingly eccentric!
My orange tiger likes to lick plastic bags. We keep him locked in our bedroom with us at night so he doesn't fight with his sister. When we let him out in the morning you'd think he'd go downstairs & eat or use the litter box. But he heads right into the bathroom & licks the plastic trash bag for about 10 minutes. Once he almost smothered himself b/c he had his face all wrapped in the loose edges of the bag. But it hasn't stopped him.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,765 times
Smile cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
2 of my cats love plastic! Especially bread bags and walmart bags. They never eat them though, just sort of Chomp on them and lick them. They do this also with any crinkly wrapper, cough drops, candy-- it cracks me up because they hear me open something and they both come running like its treat time!

That's funny you say that. when we come home from shopping our cats do the same thing, when they hear the sound of bags.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,835 times
Lovin all these cat stories
Our Snickers has gone through stages of her favorite things to chew on. Cracks me up when we humans go out and buy toys for our pets to play with, when there is so much at home they just enjoy naturally. When she was about a year old we were fighting her with any cords in the house. She loved the phone cords. Cannot even imagine how many we had to buy, the one from the wall to the phone and also the one from the base to the handset. When she started in on stereo speaker wires we weren't very happy with that at all. Eventually she moved from wires to paper, we'd find toilet paper and paper towels shredded and throughout the house. She still lies paper bags, sometimes to rip apart and sometimes as a sleeping bag. She used to play with plastic grocery bags, but got tired of the handles getting stuck around her neck and dragging them through the house trying to shake them off, that was comical to watch. The only plastic she seems to enjoy now is straws. Never fails if we grab something from a fast food place, leave it for a minute or two she (sometimes spills the cup over) has the straw chewed. We save the straws now and again, so when we do have a soft drink with a straw in the cup, we just give her one we saved and washed. Ours is safe and she's content. But a word of warning, a cat can hurt themselves with a straw, poke an eye or jab their throat. So we only have straws available if we are in the room with her. If she starts getting to crazy in her straw play, it gets thrown away and she gets to have a kitties version of time out. Any kind of string type item is kept away, if a cat swallows something stringy it can mess up their intestines, it can be fatel. I used to crochet, and Snickers used to like to get into the yarn basket, the vet warned me to put it up and away from where she can get into it.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
Eventually she moved from wires to paper, we'd find toilet paper and paper towels shredded and throughout the house.
Oh - paper towels! Don't I know what you mean there... I sometimes accidentally leave a roll of them on the floor in my studio and he always shreds the first sheet. How annoying!

On plastic - he mostly avoids crinkly things, but one time I had eaten a pepperami and had put the inner wrapper on the table. He jumped up and got it and I thought he would just play with it so I let him. I went to pick it up half an hour later and he had CONSUMED about 2 thirds of it!! I took him to the vet just in case but all was OK fortunately, it just went straight through. He's always had a thing about spicy meat though. There was a particular spicy meat sauce I used to have where he'd lick the plate clean when I finished. Freak...

Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post

but one time I had eaten a spicy meat sauce I used to have where he'd lick the plate clean when I finished. Freak...
Pictureing this and just wanting to give your cat lovins

Isn't it amazing just how different all of these cats personalities are? I've had many cats in my life, and I've never found any with personality similarities. Probably why cats are my fave, each one is a new discovery.
Cats "RULE" and I mean that seriously, Our Snickers really does set the rules here. Last night I couldn't sleep, so I sat up watching TV. She came up to me, got in my lap, purred like a train. Decided she had enough, but.... I kept petting her, (too tired to notice her body language had changed) I got a light nip of warning. Then she jumped off my lap, layed on the floor and looked at me as if to ask "and yeah, so what, what do you want??/" 10 to 15 minutes later, back on my lap and wanting attention. 4:30 this morning she honestly thought I'd get up and feed her if she placed her 14 pounds on top of me and if she purred in my ear loud enough. She does that anytime her hunger strikes, doesn't matter the time of night. She'd eat 24/7 if we let her

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
Pictureing this and just wanting to give your cat lovins

Isn't it amazing just how different all of these cats personalities are? I've had many cats in my life, and I've never found any with personality similarities. Probably why cats are my fave, each one is a new discovery.
Cats "RULE" and I mean that seriously, Our Snickers really does set the rules here. Last night I couldn't sleep, so I sat up watching TV. She came up to me, got in my lap, purred like a train. Decided she had enough, but.... I kept petting her, (too tired to notice her body language had changed) I got a light nip of warning. Then she jumped off my lap, layed on the floor and looked at me as if to ask "and yeah, so what, what do you want??/" 10 to 15 minutes later, back on my lap and wanting attention. 4:30 this morning she honestly thought I'd get up and feed her if she placed her 14 pounds on top of me and if she purred in my ear loud enough. She does that anytime her hunger strikes, doesn't matter the time of night. She'd eat 24/7 if we let her
I love the fact that your cat is called Snickers! Would you be offended if I told you that I just ate one?

My cat was playing hell this morning - presumably he just wanted attention. He got in my line of sight however he could and kept getting in front of me wherever I was trying to go - he nearly jumped in the washing up bowl as well. I was theoretically annoyed but he was being so cute that I couldn't really - it was quite funny. He looks ever so kitteny for his age - I'm sure he'll never grow up properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats