U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2016, 12:25 PM
 
Location: U.S. Pacific Northwest
250 posts, read 131,305 times
Reputation: 591

Advertisements

Hmm. While I hear a lot of people criticizing dry diet, neither of my cats have had a repeat of urinary blockages since going on the Urinary SO prescribed by the vet, neither has diarrhea, and I wonder if it's a good idea to force the cat to eat something just because the Internet says so. What does your vet say about what's been happening lately?

Diarrhea is a miserable experience, abrupt changes of diet can take weeks to accommodate, especially if the change isn't wholly beneficial. While cats are obligate carnivores, they do get additional water. And not just from food. That water's getting voided because there's something wrong.

Are you sure this is something you want to wait out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2016, 04:55 PM
 
5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
Reputation: 7976
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixkid View Post
I've tried both of those before and he wouldn't eat but I will try again. Guess I'm wondering how long this diarrhea is going to last and how long it will take his tummy to make the transition to all wet. Gave him some pumpkin today. Hope that helps.
Tried "both of those" what? A good probiotic will solve the diarrhea, if it is related to the diet change. Start slow. Just a little added to each meal. Just a bit shaken from a capsule, then close the capsule back up, until the next meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
Hmm. While I hear a lot of people criticizing dry diet, neither of my cats have had a repeat of urinary blockages since going on the Urinary SO prescribed by the vet, neither has diarrhea, and I wonder if it's a good idea to force the cat to eat something just because the Internet says so. What does your vet say about what's been happening lately?

Diarrhea is a miserable experience, abrupt changes of diet can take weeks to accommodate, especially if the change isn't wholly beneficial. While cats are obligate carnivores, they do get additional water. And not just from food. That water's getting voided because there's something wrong.

Are you sure this is something you want to wait out?
Cats can not drink enough water to counteract the dehydrating effects of a dry diet. They cannot. That corn stuff you are feeding your cat is so contract-indicative for a cat with urinary tract problems it should be malpractice for vets to "prescribe" it. And when it ruins your cat's digestion a few years down the road, remember, it's the diet that is causing the daily puking.

By then you will be looking for something, anything, for your cat to eat that won't cause him to puke his food. You might try a raw diet then, but it may be too late for total healing.

If you'd like to learn about feline nutrition, and how to feed a cat so he's healthy and not defendant on "prescription" diets that are poor quality along with being species inappropriate, (just more money for the vet, you know the "food" keeps them going back) here is some reading for you to do.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

KittyShark, educate about nutritional deficiencies from kibble

I speak from experience. I once thought a cat "had to be on" one of those disgusting alphabet diets after she was diagnosed with "FLUTD". She ate that crap for 6 years. Her digestion will never be cured, but she's come a long way, thanks to a raw diet. But she will never be cured. Her "FLUTD" however, is non-existent. Funny how that worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM
 
9 posts, read 6,175 times
Reputation: 16
I don't want my cat on SD. I want him on an all wet/high moisture/protein diet but he cannot tolerate it. Diarrhea. I've tried adding probiotics, I've tried liquid probiotics, I've tried plain kefir -- he will not touch the food if it has any of that stuff on it. That's the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 04:15 PM
 
5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
Reputation: 7976
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixkid View Post
I don't want my cat on SD. I want him on an all wet/high moisture/protein diet but he cannot tolerate it. Diarrhea. I've tried adding probiotics, I've tried liquid probiotics, I've tried plain kefir -- he will not touch the food if it has any of that stuff on it. That's the problem.
It's probably not the wet diet itself, it's probably something IN the wet diet.

Probiotics can be given by mouth. Just pop the capsule down once a day.

However I also would like to know what probiotics you have tried as some are bitter and some aren't, and how much you are putting in the food. A tiny amount in each serving can add up to a whole capsule once a day.

Here is what I suggest. Find a canned diet with a novel protein. Venison, or duck for instance. Make sure there is no chicken or fish in it at ALL. No peas either. Feed that, and only that.

Also better to avoid a canned food containing carrageenan also as it is a known intestinal irritant.

Don't give up, you will find something that works for him.

Your best bet really would be a raw diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 10:56 PM
 
9 posts, read 6,175 times
Reputation: 16
He's eating the SD dry + whatever wet concoction I can make for him (wet+rice, wet+pumpkin) for now one week after coming home. I really do not want to keep him on the SD for all the reasons previously mentioned but I can't feed all wet either (diarrhea.) So I'm stuck. Prior to the struvite he was on a grain free diet (dry + moist). So grain free is not enough to avoid the problem and all wet is more than his tummy can handle. That is my conundrum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM
 
5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
Reputation: 7976
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixkid View Post
He's eating the SD dry + whatever wet concoction I can make for him (wet+rice, wet+pumpkin) for now one week after coming home. I really do not want to keep him on the SD for all the reasons previously mentioned but I can't feed all wet either (diarrhea.) So I'm stuck. Prior to the struvite he was on a grain free diet (dry + moist). So grain free is not enough to avoid the problem and all wet is more than his tummy can handle. That is my conundrum!

You can feed all wet. But for some reason you prefer to ignore all advice without wanting to try any of it.. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 AM
 
9 posts, read 6,175 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You can feed all wet. But for some reason you prefer to ignore all advice without wanting to try any of it.. Good luck.
I don't understand. How am I ignoring advice? I've tried feeding him all wet and the poor thing has diarrhea not to mention the diarrhea all over the house. The advice I have received is to give him probiotics (either in the form of powder, liquid or kefir) none of which he will touch. Same goes for digestive enzymes. So what is the advice I am ignoring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2016, 01:54 AM
 
9 posts, read 6,175 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixkid View Post
I don't understand. How am I ignoring advice? I've tried feeding him all wet and the poor thing has diarrhea not to mention the diarrhea all over the house. The advice I have received is to give him probiotics (either in the form of powder, liquid or kefir) none of which he will touch. Same goes for digestive enzymes. So what is the advice I am ignoring?
And btw 2 years ago I started him on Stella and Chewy's duck duck goose and after about a month he started getting diarrhea and wouldn't eat it anymore. Then I switched him to Primal Beef -- same thing. "popping a capsule in his mouth" every day is not at all a sustainable plan.

I find that there is a strain of people out there that are very anxious to conclude that some of us just aren't trying hard enough to care for our cats and like to assume a lofty position when in fact we are trying very hard, are frustrated because we don't want our cats to suffer crystals OR diarrhea and and are voraciously looking for solutions. A solution being something that the cat will eat and not make them ill (not to mention extremely unhappy being chased down and having a capsule jammed down their throat everyday.) I have found no solutions that satisfy BOTH of those criteria. Yet the "all wet" advocates (which I would LOVE to be) just refuse to accept that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 AM
 
9 posts, read 6,175 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
Hmm. While I hear a lot of people criticizing dry diet, neither of my cats have had a repeat of urinary blockages since going on the Urinary SO prescribed by the vet, neither has diarrhea, and I wonder if it's a good idea to force the cat to eat something just because the Internet says so. What does your vet say about what's been happening lately?

Diarrhea is a miserable experience, abrupt changes of diet can take weeks to accommodate, especially if the change isn't wholly beneficial. While cats are obligate carnivores, they do get additional water. And not just from food. That water's getting voided because there's something wrong.

Are you sure this is something you want to wait out?
I continue to experiment. I agree with you that I cannot allow the diarrhea. I must say I am finding in the "all wet food" vs. prescription diet wars the all wet food people lose credibility by being strident and shrill. I literally had the girl at the pet store yell at me because I was looking for an alternative to the prescription diet. The very idea that a vet had recommended this to me (forget about the fact that I was there because I was looking for an alternative!) sent her into a maniacal rage from which she descended into incoherence. On the other hand, the prescription advocates are like you who say -- hey I don't know what to tell you except that my cat has been on a prescription diet for years and never had a problem. Note to wet food people: Get ahold of yourselves. You're not doing your argument any favors with you superior, judgmental attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM
 
4,500 posts, read 6,155,863 times
Reputation: 4026
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixkid View Post
I continue to experiment. I agree with you that I cannot allow the diarrhea. I must say I am finding in the "all wet food" vs. prescription diet wars the all wet food people lose credibility by being strident and shrill. I literally had the girl at the pet store yell at me because I was looking for an alternative to the prescription diet. The very idea that a vet had recommended this to me (forget about the fact that I was there because I was looking for an alternative!) sent her into a maniacal rage from which she descended into incoherence. On the other hand, the prescription advocates are like you who say -- hey I don't know what to tell you except that my cat has been on a prescription diet for years and never had a problem. Note to wet food people: Get ahold of yourselves. You're not doing your argument any favors with you superior, judgmental attitudes.
This vet IS actually an animal nutritionist (her resume is on this site) and is far more qualified than Lisa Pierson. Lisa Pierson's just has a gaggle of howling groupies and they are usually rude as heck as you've experienced. Check out her Ask the Nutritionist questions. https://www.petdiets.com/Ask-the-Nutritionist
https://www.petdiets.com/userfiles/f...bbrev%20CV.pdf

My cat had crystals early on and has been on Hills C/D for years with zero problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top