Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:32 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Buckwheat.

I named him after what Roger LoCoco used to call everyone in Wiseguy. Plus obviously I thought of the Little Rascals and he sure was a little Rascal as a kitten.

His name from the shelter was "jimmy" -- oh heck no!

Last edited by elnina; 10-01-2017 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: OP request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 05:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
He's adorable!

Old 09-30-2017, 05:46 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
My cat is Gertie. When I got her, for the first couple of weeks I tried a different name out every day or so. I kept going until one stuck.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:58 PM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
I originally named mine squeaky, cause her meow is a squeak. My mother who speaks broken English pronounced it Cici and told my sister. Sister called asking for pics of Cici. I was like, alright Cici it is.

Luna was already named by the shelter I got her from.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Freya, after the Norse goddess of beauty who also loved cats. Full disclosure: someone else had her first and named her.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:21 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Freya, after the Norse goddess of beauty who also loved cats. Full disclosure: someone else had her first and named her.
Wow I had no idea the goddess loved cats! Our cat is also named Freyja (Husband named her. It was supposed to be his cat but she bonded with me). He named her because the same goddess is known for her bravery and warrior like abilities.

The other cat is Happy. Today is the one year anniversary of my cat's passing. After losing my 17 year old cat, I became extremely depressed. Every minute was hard. Getting up was hard. Living was hard. He was my first cat, a companion who helped me cope with my anxiety for years. Every day I felt I slipped into a dark, deep hole and for the first time in my life, I could not find the motivation or care enough to climb out.

So at my husband's request, and to keep my sanity, I went to look for at cats. I needed to find closure or meaning to why my cat had to die other than because he had to. I had no plans to adopt as the pain was still too much (I would start crying in public). Then I saw this 3 month old Siamese kitten, hidden away at the top cage, sick and starving, close to death. Despite this, she pushes herself up on her feet and collapsed on my hand because she wanted to be petted. I took her home that day and named her Happy. She truly lived up to her name. Since then, she brought a lot of happiness back in my life.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:44 PM

36 posts, read 57,490 times
I have 2 ginger tabby cats, one male and other female. They are named Skyler and Charles. I had a studded bear I named Skyler so i used that name fod the girl cat..I chose Charles because it looked cute and seemed to fit him.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,122 times
George. Here's why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNz8U7tgU4

I knew I'd hug and pet him.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 PM

28 posts, read 23,891 times
Zhuta Gold.

I'm one fourth Bosnian and I'd get all my cats from a village in Bosnia a cousin of mine lives in. I was adopted by a 5 month old orange tabby on my last stay there. The word for yellow in Bosnian is zhuta (zh as in beige, u as in cool, a as in I), but you have to pronounce u as a long vowel and the word is feminine. Zhuta with short u is how kids often say yellow and used for feminine but also masculine objects, or living beings. (He's a boy) So, he's the kind of ginger and white that makes him look kind of golden colour, so his name is Yellow Gold .

We live in UK but are hoping to take daddy and Mr.Dog to New Zealand this winter, to renew the vows and just chillex for couple of months, celebrate life and our family

Last edited by Evey_; 10-01-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I think I wrote this before so if I have repeated myself, please forgive me.

When we got Electra from the Humane Society, they called her Brenna. We had Brandy at the time so we decided not to keep that name because it would be too confusing. She was only about 4 or 5 months at the time so she probably wasn't used to the name Brenna anyway. I wanted something from mythology that ended in an "A." So, Electra came up.

Elvira arrived on our doorstep after we finish handing out candy on Halloween in the arms of a local constable. He asked, "Is this kitten yours?" We should have said, "No yet." We wanted a Halloweenish name-so she became Elvira: Mischief of the Dark. But I think there was a time when she thought her name was "No!"

Josette was named after a character from Dark Shadows. We had just finished watching the original series on DVD and liked the named.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats