Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I LEARNED MY KITTEN'S STORY!

My neighbor's daughter and husband are big animal lovers. I'm talking huge. They're a couple in their 50s whose dogs are their only children. She lives right where I found the kitten, literally on the street right behind her house a couple doors down. She was visiting her parents tonight. I asked her if she has any feral cats in her area. She said she has a grey and white one that she feeds everyday. I told her about my kitten. She said a neighbor told her he saw a kitten following her around. MY KITTEN was the remaining kitten from her litter. Her mother abandoned her. Her mother wasn't starving. Her mother didn't get hit by a car. I guess the kitten just got weak from being a feral outdoor kitten and the mother abandoned her for that. Or she is a stupid, terrible mother.
The mother may not be much of a hunter so had no idea what to do next with her kitten(s). She herself may have been dumped. Cats almost always make excellent devoted mothers. Do they know what happened to the rest of the litter?

Quote:
I asked the neighbor's daughter if she would catch the mother so I could take her to get spayed at a catch and release program. She agreed. At least we can put a stop to THIS cat abandoning future kittens.
That's really nice of you to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
lol, this ^^^ is SO true!! Hopes, be prepared! I expect you don't have this issue with your dog.
He comes running whenever I call! If we can get her to stand him, she might imprint and act like a dog. My last cat came when I called. That's not asking too much, is it?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Geez.....I love happy endings!!!! I think the drama is about over - Bobbles will ascend her throne and begin to rule her kingdom, and her subjects, with a furry paw and an adorable face. This has been one of the most heartening threads on here lately - I needed that (of course I know that all of this happened just to cheer me up!!)
This is a cheery thread, isn't it?

I'm glad it's turning out that way too. When I started it, I had no idea what would happen.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
She started playing last night!...
Don't forget to pick up one or two scratching posts so she doesn't start using the furniture. Also a nice carpet and rope covered cat-condo. They love to climb on them and all of mine stay off the furniture in the rooms I have them. Start claw-tipping-clipping now when she's real young.

Quote:
I'm getting a bigger cage from my cat loving neighbor. She needs a larger space so we can sleep at night. She does NOT want to be in that cat carrier with the door closed.
I'm sure carriers make cats feel trapped. That has to be frightening to them. None of my cats like being in their carriers with the doors closed.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
..... He's fine" Look around a couple more times anyway, and an hour later, here comes the kitten strolling in "Hey, what's up? Why is everyone looking at me?" I never learn.

We found Zebulon's hidey-hole but still don't know where Callie disappears to every so often.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
The bell doesn't help when she's sleeping though. And kittens are so good at finding very hidden places for a nap. I don't care how many times we've been through the same thing, we still get worried. "I haven't seen (whoever) in hours. Have you?" "Nope, haven't seen him." "Well, I'm sure he's just sleeping somewhere. He's fine." 10 minutes later, "Maybe I should look for him." (Look in every room/closet/nook/cranny, calling name) "I don't know where he is. I guess he's just sleeping though. He's fine" Look around a couple more times anyway, and an hour later, here comes the kitten strolling in "Hey, what's up? Why is everyone looking at me?" I never learn.
LOL! Been there- Done that.
Many, many times.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
What a great, smile-inducing thread. Congratulations on the new addition, Hopes! I agree, it must have been meant to be--you were just considering getting a kitty for the hound!

I think it's just sweet the way the dog is so interested and gentle with the baby.

And she's just adorable.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Since someone mentioned scratching posts, we bought one of the "Ultimate Scratching Posts" that is about 3 foot high and it has been the salvation of our furniture. Our 3 cats love it because they can stretch way out and use it and they leave our furniture completely alone.

We are on our second one, the first one got really ratty looking after about 2 years, we paid $75 for that one at Petco, but the second one we bought through Amazon and it was $45 ish with no shipping cost. I can not say enough about how well this thing works.

The reason we bought the tall one was because the girl at Petco said cats love to stretch way out when they scratch as an exercise thing, and from watching the feral cats I feed at our shop that is true. They stretch way out on the trees they use for scratching posts, and our cats at home do the same thing.

Just thought I would pass this along for anyone who is trying to save their furniture. Oh, and to get them started on it you can rub some catnip into the fibers of it which seems to draw them to using it initially.

Don

Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Start claw-tipping-clipping now when she's real young.
They clipped them at the vet on Friday night. How much can I clip at a time? Do I just take the very tips off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I think it's just sweet the way the dog is so interested and gentle with the baby.
My poor basset! He wants to play! She was playing today and he snuck up and took a toy from her. She watched him in amazement and then went onto playing with something else. When she bored, she walked away, across the room to laundry baskets sitting at the bottom of the steps. He went over about four feet away and wagged his tail looking as cute and playful as can be. She ignored him so he wandered off to smell her stuff---where the carrier is and toys. She watched him and then she CHARGED across the room, ran up along the cat carrier on the other side, and SPAT at him. He's heartbroken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just thought I would pass this along for anyone who is trying to save their furniture. Oh, and to get them started on it you can rub some catnip into the fibers of it which seems to draw them to using it initially.
Thanks for the tip. I need to get one today. She's starting on my luggage I haven't put away from our vacation. She enjoys having them to hide behind, under, around, and to climb. She hasn't done any serious damage since she's so little, but I need to put the luggage away soon. I don't want her moving to the furniture so I'll try to find one of these scratching posts.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:

My poor basset! He wants to play! She was playing today and he snuck up and took a toy from her. She watched him in amazement and then went onto playing with something else. When she bored, she walked away, across the room to laundry baskets sitting at the bottom of the steps. He went over about four feet away and wagged his tail looking as cute and playful as can be. She ignored him so he wandered off to smell her stuff---where the carrier is and toys. She watched him and then she CHARGED across the room, ran up along the cat carrier on the other side, and SPAT at him. He's heartbroken.

Awwww. Poor thing! Lol.

She may come around, though, at least she's not terrified of him. That whole charge and spit thing may be a form of trying to instigate play, on her own terms.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Awwww. Poor thing! Lol.

She may come around, though, at least she's not terrified of him. That whole charge and spit thing may be a form of trying to instigate play, on her own terms.
It is abundantly clear that she is not afraid of him. I hope she is just trying to figure out a way to play. It's one thing if she jumps him playing. It's entirely different if she outright attacks him viciously. She won't be able to stay here, but at least we've tamed her to people and she will make a great pet for a dog free house. Of course, I'm giving it time. I'm just saying that I have a limit. Fingers crossed it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats