Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They clipped them at the vet on Friday night. How much can I clip at a time? Do I just take the very tips off?
Clip short of the pink inside the nail; it's easy to see.

Quote:
She ignored him so he wandered off to smell her stuff---where the carrier is and toys. She watched him and then she CHARGED across the room, ran up along the cat carrier on the other side, and SPAT at him. He's heartbroken.
Poor puppy! She certainly is territorial for such a little thing.

Quote:
It is abundantly clear that she is not afraid of him. I hope she is just trying to figure out a way to play. It's one thing if she jumps him playing. It's entirely different if she outright attacks him viciously.
She hasn't done that, has she?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
She hasn't done that, has she?
Not yet. I'm concerned though. She charged at him from across the house a couple days ago. She was in the kitchen looking out the door, and he was in the living room. She heard him walking across the floor in the other room, turned and charged across the house towards him. She does not run away. She charges. Since that first incident, she has charged across the room at him twice in a territorial manner within the past 24 hours. I get the impression she wants to latch herself onto his face. HE'S ACROSS THE ROOM when this happens. When he's nearby, she doesn't respond at all anymore.

Since this happened, I decided to try what someone suggested about food. While she ate, I fed him nearby (even though it's not his feeding time). When he got done much faster, I told him to lie down on the floor where he was. That prevented him from invading her space (to steal her food) and kept him close instead of sending him off. I'm hoping their being near each other while she's eating will help her associate him good things. She was totally fine with this. It didn't bother her at all.

My neighbor, a women who has many, many cats and a couple of dogs, says when she brings a new pet into her house, she just tosses it down into the mix and lets them figure it out. I'm wondering if I inadvertently gave this kitten the message that she can bully the basset because I was commanding him to stay away from her. Now that I look back, it made him look extremely submissive to be sent away at her whim. That contradicts everything my neighbor does when she gets a new cat.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I'm sure she's just telling him "I'm not afraid of you, so don't mess with me. I'll make you sorry if you do!" Since he's being respectful, she won't need to take it any farther. And with time, she should realize he won't hurt her. One problem with cats and dogs is the difference in body language. For example, a wagging dog tail means I'm happy, I like you. But a twitching cat tail means, you're making me uneasy and I'm thinking about pouncing on you. It takes time for them to sort these things out and come to understand each other.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm sure she's just telling him "I'm not afraid of you, so don't mess with me. I'll make you sorry if you do!" Since he's being respectful, she won't need to take it any farther. And with time, she should realize he won't hurt her. One problem with cats and dogs is the difference in body language. For example, a wagging dog tail means I'm happy, I like you. But a twitching cat tail means, you're making me uneasy and I'm thinking about pouncing on you. It takes time for them to sort these things out and come to understand each other.
Interesting about the tails and such.

My girlfriend just told me that her cats charge and spit at each other when they are playing sometimes.

Now that she's not afraid of him and he is respectful, I'm going to stay out of it. I'm not going to call him back from her. Aside from keeping him from trying to steal her food while she's eating, I think they need to work it out on their own now.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
When will she stop hissing at us? She does it even when the dog isn't around. Not all the time but it's fairly constant.

Should we respect her boundaries when she hisses? Or will that teach her she can get away with hissing at us?
Oh my word she is cute!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
My girlfriend just told me that her cats charge and spit at each other when they are playing sometimes.
My cats growl and hiss at each other all the time. As long as they're not hurting each other, I let them go at it.

They're siblings -- what do you expect? LOL

Oh, and have you ever seen "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet? Check it out sometime - there's some valuable information there about cat behavior.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Hopes, it really sounds like the kitty wanted to play when she "charged" ... my kitties do that with each other all the time. I do understand that the dog is wonderful and he was there first, but the kitty is just a baby and she hasn't yet learned what is and isn't acceptable. She will!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We found Zebulon's hidey-hole but still don't know where Callie disappears to every so often.

Do any of your box springs have the pellon linings on them destroyed? Ours does - the kids love to climb up under and into the box springs - humans NEVER think to look there!!! I've gotten down on the floor to check their hidey-holes and found as many as six little eyes staring back at me before!!!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hopes, it really sounds like the kitty wanted to play when she "charged" ... my kitties do that with each other all the time. I do understand that the dog is wonderful and he was there first, but the kitty is just a baby and she hasn't yet learned what is and isn't acceptable. She will!
^^^This. She never had the benefit of having siblings to learn to play with. My take on the charge/hiss thing is that she wants to play, charges (kittens do this), then realizes that "Oh, I might be afraid of this big guy", so she stops and hisses.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound to me like she's being territorial.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM

I'm giving her time. I want it to work out.

The dog is clearly getting impatient and wants to PLAY.

I heard him barking long enough for me to come inside to investigate.

He was standing 3 feet away from her, repeatedly barking. She was calmly lying on a blanket meowing back.

This went on for 5 minutes. It probably would have gone on forever.

I guess they're trying to learn how to communicate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats