Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

We brought home a little guy yesterday from the rescue. Kitty Katty is doing ok, and that is the important thing.

Last night he knew something was different in the house. The kitten is in the guest bedroom and KK is getting fed outside the br door while the kitten is as well.

The kitten came with a little afgan and I put that where kk hangs out and put KKs mat in with the kitten.

I brought the kitten out this am and went in with KK and he checked everything out. He searched that place up and down and knew there was something in there he wasn't finding.

Right now the kitten is not adopted. They let us bring him home from his foster family to see how KK will do. They wouldn't normally do that, but they know me pretty well. I did have to sign a form saying I would neuter the kitten, etc.

If we decide to keep him, then we turn in the adoption papers and the money, etc.

I have not been around kittens in a while and I am noticing something with this little guy. It seems like he is lacking some strength or something in his tail end. If his tail wags in a different direction he falls over. Either that or he bends in half or it looks like he loses his balance.

I'm not sure if he is just a goofy little kitty or has bad balance or what. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I'm guessing he's got to be at least 8 weeks old....seems to me that kittens are pretty coordinated by that age. Then again baby animals can be clumsy.

Would it be possible to post a video?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM

He is 10 weeks old. I just looked at the video I have from last night and he didn't fall in it, but his tail seems to lean to one side and not straight up.

I will see if I can get another video later on this evening. Right now my Kitty Katty is afraid of the thunder outside.....

Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Oh boy is this going to be interesting!
I sure hope the new little guy is OK.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
He is 10 weeks old. I just looked at the video I have from last night and he didn't fall in it, but his tail seems to lean to one side and not straight up.

I will see if I can get another video later on this evening. Right now my Kitty Katty is afraid of the thunder outside.....
Aww what a little love bug!!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM

I asked one of the ladies at the rescue and she said it sounds like a mild case of cerebellar hypoplasia.

He really is a little love bug..(as I type one handed w my big KK wrapped in one arm) He hates thunder, poor baby....

Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Awwwwww.....Robyn, he's darling!!! I wasn't familiar with the CH you mentioned so I looked it up - it's not terminal but according to what I read he will be considered special needs and will need an extraordinary family to love and support him - which I believe he already has. I know this is not permanent yet (but I predict your heart will not be your own very much longer) and that KK will actually have the deciding vote. I love the picture - looks like he's trying to kiss you and the smile on your face - priceless!! Do you have a time limit before you have to decide to return him or keep him? You know - sometimes kitties with special needs are hard to place - at least with you and SO and KK, I know he would have a safe and loving environment forever. And I know you love black kitties (me too - we have 4!). Well, I'll hush now - but I will be dying to know the verdict and see more pictures of the baby. Hope Kitty Katty calms down - storms are so scary for them. We have had boomers for about the last 3-4 days and every time the "big ones" come, there is a stampede downstairs to the basement.
PS...you know if you keep the little guy you'll have to get him used to wearing stuff (and pissing off some people who shall remain nameless!!!)

Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Perhaps, for whatever reason, his muscles in the hindquarters just aren't developed as well as they should be. Do you know any of his history? Could be CH, but would have to be an awfully mild case of it. Also, have his ears been checked for mites/infection? Just a thought.
Anyway, you have a beautiful kitten and good luck with the little guy.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Awwwwww.....Robyn, he's darling!!! I wasn't familiar with the CH you mentioned so I looked it up - it's not terminal but according to what I read he will be considered special needs and will need an extraordinary family to love and support him - which I believe he already has. I know this is not permanent yet (but I predict your heart will not be your own very much longer) and that KK will actually have the deciding vote. I love the picture - looks like he's trying to kiss you and the smile on your face - priceless!! Do you have a time limit before you have to decide to return him or keep him? You know - sometimes kitties with special needs are hard to place - at least with you and SO and KK, I know he would have a safe and loving environment forever. And I know you love black kitties (me too - we have 4!). Well, I'll hush now - but I will be dying to know the verdict and see more pictures of the baby. Hope Kitty Katty calms down - storms are so scary for them. We have had boomers for about the last 3-4 days and every time the "big ones" come, there is a stampede downstairs to the basement.
PS...you know if you keep the little guy you'll have to get him used to wearing stuff (and pissing off some people who shall remain nameless!!!)
He really is. I am not sure he has it but we will ask the vet what she thinks. I have a baby gate up in front of the bedroom door where he is at and I opened the door when SO got home and it was the first meet and greet with he and KK this evening, for dinner. A few hisses from KK and the little kitty just looked at him like he wanted to be his friend.. (aww)

We moved KKs food dish back a little and that helped. A little while later I opened the door and went to talk to the little guy and he jumped the gate! We let him roam around and played with him with the feather wand toy and KK said to heck w that and went in the basement.

That little kitty is a super cute little mess! He is actually a black cat with a silver undercoat. I have never seen a cat like that, but he is a handsome little fella.

His name is Spencer. If he hangs around I think he should be called Pippin. I don't know why... lol

Oops. they told me to let them know how things are going in a few weeks, and he does like to give kisses......

Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Perhaps, for whatever reason, his muscles in the hindquarters just aren't developed as well as they should be. Do you know any of his history? Could be CH, but would have to be an awfully mild case of it. Also, have his ears been checked for mites/infection? Just a thought.
Anyway, you have a beautiful kitten and good luck with the little guy.
This may be the case. I almost wonder if he and his litter mates were kept caged. I do know some of his history and the mother was a little sick.

His ears looked fine when I looked at them yesterday and he is not scratching them at all.

They do have some pretty cute long wispy fur on them though.... =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats