Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times

Advertisements

HI -

I have a 5 lb. bag of food grade DE and have slipped a little (less than 1/4 tsp) into their wet food this evening. I dipped a brush into the bag and started to use it on my longhair boy but
it seemed like it all fell in one place -- and actually makes his coat a little straw-like. Quite possible I used too much, but I have brushed him well and also used the new Zoom Groom on him, which he loves!

Those of you who are using DE in and outside your cats, do you literally sprinkle it on with one of those kitchen gizmos like you'd sprinkle powdered sugar on something you're baking, for example? Tried to find one in the store today and couldn't.

I do see that a little of this stuff goes a long way -- used WAY too much to "disinfect" the fabric cat carrier that had a possibly flea-carrying stray last week. Now there's powdery residue over the entire thing...I may have to take a damp cloth to it to get it all out!

Advice welcome. Haven't quite had the nerve yet to try DE myself, though I have read many people do swear by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
A vacuum would work for the carrier.
When I apply DE to my animals I take fat pinches of it and 'sprinkle' it as I embed it into their coat. Meaning I get the tips of my fingers down the the skin and let a little bit of DE from my fingers and work my way down their spine. Then once I have a good amount as a base I use my finger tips and massage the DE through the rest of the coat. I also directly add extra to the areas that fleas tend to congregate; base of the tail, arm and leg pits, around the neck. It does not take a whole lot. Their activity and gravity will help to spread it around.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I take a big piece of fiber from an old pillow, torn up, and dust it, then rub it into the fur. I usually do it on a surface you'd treat anyway, thus it does double duty. I'm having bug problems in the kitchen and also put a light layer of it in the bottom of drawers and a netting on it and it keeps the bugs off the contents. If you have bugs where you can't spray, it will kill them and if your animals eat it or the bugs it will not hurt them.

Inside, I take wet food and one at a time mix a portion and one at a time creature goes to bathroom to eat their treat. When they see the can, and they go nuts thinking its time for a treat.

Its also something you can use anywhere around food areas without worrying about pesticide residue. The bugs have been sprayed for and the foundation treated but I'm still getting them so I'm still treating pathways. I apply it to drawers and cabinets with a puffy art paint brush, which spreads it well.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I just rub some in around the neck and the base of the tail. It works well as we have no fleas and it is is flea infestedville around here. I also dust my dogs. I put DE in both the dogs and the cats food. I also put a tablespoon in both my wife's and my smoothy we have every day.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 AM

400 posts, read 749,787 times
I dip my fingertips into the DE and then gently apply.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
Thanks everyone. Sounds fairly simple. I guess I was over-analyzing.

But... how OFTEN do you apply to the cat?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I have 10lbs of it, but I don't use it on my cat. I have the fleas down to one jumping on me about once per week, but I'm still keeping up with the treatments. Snickers got a Capstar pill yesterday, tomorrow he gets Revolutionized, I spray the carpet, and we both do laundry, and stay out of the house for a couple of hours.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 104,310 times
You should treat your pet with DE twice aweek, leaving it on for about 1 to 3 days. Repeat this process for 2 to 3weeks. Diatomaceous earth is not a quick fix; it will take time for the flea tocome into contact with the diatomaceous earth and about 48 hours to dehydratethe flea it has come in contact with. The process may take up to three weeks,but it's efficient, all-natural, and pet friendly.

Remember to treat the pet’s bedding to kill any mature fleas that may reside there.

Last edited by EP Minerals; 07-22-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I used an empty spice jar with a shaker top when I dusted my animals. I also sprinkle the carpet and gently brush it in with the broom.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP Minerals View Post
You should treat your pet with DE twice aweek, leaving it on for about 1 to 3 days. Repeat this process for 2 to 3weeks. Diatomaceous earth is not a quick fix; it will take time for the flea tocome into contact with the diatomaceous earth and about 48 hours to dehydratethe flea it has come in contact with. The process may take up to three weeks,but it's efficient, all-natural, and pet friendly.

Remember to treat the pet’s bedding to kill any mature fleas that may reside there.
My cat's bedding is my bedding. I'm going to be moving, and my new place won't have any carpeting, so I shouldn't have the problem that I have now. Raid spray in the purple can also works wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats