Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM

258 posts, read 421,996 times

Advertisements

Technically you are legally responsible for their care if you are feeding them, so you have to decide if you can do that or if you will do what little you can. At my old place I started feeding the feral colony and made friends with almost all of them, one moved in to the house and is now a very happy indoor cat. I am with you, my cats are indoors only (except the one that is sometimes taken out on a harness.).

I'm a little surprised I'm the first to ask but what do you meqn when you say you think the siamese has mental problems? Is that the main thing keeping you from inviting them to be indoor kitties, or are you just at your limit as far as how many indoor kitties you can have?

~Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM

454 posts, read 793,947 times
@ don1945......

what wonderful pics of these little ones! they look sleek and happy with full tummies

Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
It's hard but I don't feed stray cats-living in Florida-I cannot believe how many animals are running around-literally it makes me sick.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
It's just so sad, how one animal is loved and cared for and safe, and another animal, equally deserving really, will be utterly alone, in danger of starvation and all kinds of other horrors, and no love at all. It just seems profoundly unfair.
And by feeding it, without taking responsibility for it, you are dooming it to an extended life of misery, instead of a possibly shortened life of misery. That is, if you choose to humanize the situation.

It's also possible that the stray is an unneutered male, who spends most of what's left of his life boinking every female in the pride, strutting around like he owns the joint, getting a dozen cats pregnant multiple times over the course of a couple of years, thus increasing the colony from just a few, to a few dozen, and eventually to a few hundred, and potentially a few thousand (depending on who ELSE is feeding them).

And of course - if you start feeding cats from kittenhood, then they don't learn how to feed themselves. And should you move, or get sick, or just decide to stop feeding them, then it is you who are directly responsible for them starving to death because you never taught them how to hunt, and they never had to learn, because you'd been feeding them from their kittenhood.

Feeding an animal is a responsibility. It's not "doing something kind" for another animal. It is binding you to that animal for the rest of its life. If you look at it in any other way, then you're only doing what satisfies your ego, and not doing what is best for the animal.

In the case of a feral colony or even a single feral cat - what's best for it is to have it trapped, neutered, and released. What's worst for it is feeding it, and doing nothing else for it. What's most natural for it - is to just leave it alone.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
It's hard but I don't feed stray cats-living in Florida-I cannot believe how many animals are running around-literally it makes me sick.
Oh, I know. I live in Florida too and we must have 100 ferals living in the woods in the industrial park where my shop is. So very sad. There is a very nice Oriental lady who feeds about 30 of them every morning and she has gotten all of them spayed/neutered. Such a wonderful thing to do.

Here are 3 of the 4 we got adopted out. I trapped the mom and kept her in my shop office until they were of adopting age. She is now fixed so the cycle for her will end. She was just too feral to get adopted out, but I still feed her every night.

Don

How could you not love guys like this ?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
How absolutely adorable! Thank you for sharing the photo!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:00 PM

400 posts, read 750,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

It's easy!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,569 times
i would care for the cats in a shed and keep them there and put up lost cat signs and if no one responds in the next few weeks or months i would keep them or take them to a rescue or a friend who wants one.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM

400 posts, read 750,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
It's easy!!!!!!!!!!!
That sure reads the wrong way, doesn't it? IT'S EASY TO LOVE THEM!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
I'm a little surprised I'm the first to ask but what do you meqn when you say you think the siamese has mental problems? Is that the main thing keeping you from inviting them to be indoor kitties, or are you just at your limit as far as how many indoor kitties you can have?

~Katy
She bounces around outside, flees in terror at quick movements on my part, and doesn't behave rationally. I've seen this before in cats. She's either been abused, or maybe was abandoned because of her behavior.

I've seen cats that were mentally deranged before, hyperactive, irrational, and while there may be some physical cause that is curable, sometimes I do think there is a brain dysfunction of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats