Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:41 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

Voted.

I'm going compose an email to send to Colorado Rescue groups and shelters, since most, maybe all, require you to sign a contract, when adopting, stating that you will not declaw. We can't Assume that Any group already knows about this opportunity, even the anti-declaw groups.

I'll post that email so it can be copied and pasted by other PO if they would like send to rescue orgs in their state. If they do perhaps they could let this threads readers know what area/state they have already covered so we don't waste time duplicating. Or perhaps they can post their version/email for us to copy.

Since we already know that I'm not very adept at writing these types of communications, perhaps you could also write a template email and post it.

Alfredo, my beautiful [declawed by previous owner] adopted, rescue kitty has been in more pain than Usual, and as he gets older it becomes more apparent how out of balance his entire body is, and how much pain that causes in his entire body ... The pain of, and from, having the first digit, of every toe, on his front paws, amputated.

He was 5/6 years old when I adopted him in 2011.

Please vote for Dr Gary Richter, anti-declaw vet!-dsc02599.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 11:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
He's in second place! vote vote vote. remind everyone you know!!!!

Current rank:

America's Favorite Veterinarian - America's Favorite Veterinarian

Vote:
Dr. Gary Richter - America's Favorite Veterinarian

Old 08-25-2015, 02:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
He's in second place! vote vote vote. remind everyone you know!!!!

Current rank:

America's Favorite Veterinarian - America's Favorite Veterinarian

Vote:
Dr. Gary Richter - America's Favorite Veterinarian
Done.
Glad to see he's moving up.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
He got my vote.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM

The contest has been cancelled because some anti declaw activists took it into their heads to cyber bully and threaten the other vets in the running, the vets who do declaw.

I'm just so sick about what has happened. I keep bursting into tears. Declawing is a terrible thing. But bullying and threats and actively trying to affect business (apparently some vets were getting constant phone calls, tying up their phone lines) is not the way to win support for our cause.

I fear this will be a terrible set back. And I am so ashamed on behalf of those who acted this way. I'm just terribly depressed.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
OhCRAP!
I'm so glad I didn't get around to posting to any other sites, so I know I'm not responsible.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:33 AM

A message from City the Kitty

https://www.facebook.com/citythekitt...408642/?type=1

City the Kitty made an excellent point. the AVMA does not want to see an end to declawing. When it became apparent that an anti-declaw vet was going to to win, they cancelled the contest based on some alleged bullying toward the declaw vets.

But this is why we are all the time begging people to TAKE THE HIGHER GROUND stance.

Any time pro-declaw people are messed with in even the tiniest way they scream "bully" and become the victim. I'm not trivializing what was done, but no one really knows the facts about this bullying.

The bottom line is the AVMA and the declaw vets do not want to give up their gravy train. They want to continue to cut the toes off of cats because it is a huge huge HUGE money maker. Huge.

So they did not want an anti-declaw vet representing them.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
This is so sad to read.
People need to do their homework.

Taking the digits off of cats (or any animal) should be illegal.

It's deliberate mauling. If it were a human it would be considered malice and punishable by law.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
This is so sad to read.
People need to do their homework.

Taking the digits off of cats (or any animal) should be illegal.

It's deliberate mauling. If it were a human it would be considered malice and punishable by law.
AGREED!

If owners need to do something like this to their pets including cropping ears and tails, de-clawing, de-fanging...etc. for any reason other than the health of the pet... then they have no business having pets. They should get fish, or a Chia Pet.

It appears that our efforts to get the honor to the only holistic candidate crashed their award. I guess they didn't expect the token candidate to get all the attention (votes), and outrage so intense towards the marginal vets.

People should have just allowed the voting process to play out, leaving the anger in a box. Richter winning would have changed the minds of other vets.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-27-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
AGREED!

If owners need to do something like this to their pets including cropping ears and tails, de-clawing, de-fanging...etc. for any reason other than the health of the pet... then they have no business having pets. They should get fish, or a Chia Pet.

It appears that our efforts to get the honor to the only holistic candidate crashed their award. I guess they didn't expect the token candidate to get all the attention (votes), and outrage so intense towards the marginal vets.

People should have just allowed the voting process to play out, leaving the anger in a box. Richter winning would have changed the minds of other vets.
Maybe, or maybe not. When your talking about a procedure (or product) that has a profit incentive, it's going to be an uphill battle to get them to stop voluntarily. It could happen as a result of public pressure, but it will take a long time. I still think the quickest way to end it is to make it illegal, as has been done in other countries. I still don't understand why we have a multitude of animal cruelty laws in this country, but declawing a cat isn't among them. Makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats