Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This situation in Missouri is disgusting. How can the legislators change what the people voted on? What is being done to keep this from happening? Surely those of us on this forum can contact somebody to voice our opinions or does it not count if we aren't MO citizens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Please keep fighting and never give up. Be the squeaky wheels that get the grease. If they see they can't silence or intimidate you or hold out until you give up.... you will get somewhere.

we inundated our senators as well as we could with letters and emails.... but i'm guessing that the breeders' groups were able to speak louder with their $$$ .... we are doing the same now with our state representatives and our governor, Jay Nixon.... there have been rallies at the capital and those who were able to attend have also gone around to the various legislator's offices to talk to them directly.....

and this is not the first time that our legislature has done something like this.... about 8-10 +/- years ago, the voters voted AGAINST concealed carry, but the legislators over rode that, as well.... and they did the same thing with a minimum wage bill that was voted on by the people.... i'm thinking about 10-12 +/- years ago.....

even one of the professional hockey players here is speaking out in the media about this disgrace .... and i'm not altogether certain he is a US citizen.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
You mean Barrett Jackman? I know both he and David Backes are big supporters of rescues. Jackman is from Canada and Backes is from Minnesota. I'm guessing they do vote in this state while they're here, though. Two of the Blues, Janssen and Bishop, are native Missourians.

I'm not sure if Missouri Congressmen pay much attention to the athletes. A few of the Cardinals, including Tony LaRussa are also big supporters or rescues and probably against Prop B being thrown out. That said, I haven't heard them mention it. Big name athletes tend to stay out of politics. I can't say I blame them all that much.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
You mean Barrett Jackman? I know both he and David Backes are big supporters of rescues. Jackman is from Canada and Backes is from Minnesota. I'm guessing they do vote in this state while they're here, though. Two of the Blues, Janssen and Bishop, are native Missourians.

I'm not sure if Missouri Congressmen pay much attention to the athletes. A few of the Cardinals, including Tony LaRussa are also big supporters or rescues and probably against Prop B being thrown out. That said, I haven't heard them mention it. Big name athletes tend to stay out of politics. I can't say I blame them all that much.
I think it was david backes.... sorry ... i don't really follow hockey, so wasn't sure where he was from.... i just made the assumption that it was likely he was from Canada as so many others are......

i'm guessing that he votes from whatever location is his primary residence... here or minnesota.... If Barrett Jackman is Canadian, he isn't voting in any of our elections....

you're right .... politicians don't pay attention to professional athletes, unless they are in trouble for doping and then lying about it....

Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM

48 posts, read 103,238 times
First, thank you for the kind words-I miss him so much-all my pets through the years have been delightful (or so they said). But, he was over the top adorable. A big hole in my heart and emptiness in my home.

Back to topic, ok?. And away from sports---focus, guys, focus...:-)

It would be very interesting for you'll to discover whom is financing the Lobbyists who gutted prop b. Should be public knowledge or file a Freedom of Info. request. I would not be surprised if some of their money didn't come from the "boutique" rescues. My thinking is if millers are limited to # of dogs allowed, then there are fewer 5-6 yr. olds available for purchase (again rescues that only have "small, mostly white, fluffy dogs").And this will cut into their (the rescues) bottom line. They would be limited to saving hoarders and puppy mill busts--Much more time consuming (cases have to wind through legal system) and more difficult than an agreement w/ millers to purchase 5-6 yr. old dogs.

Btw, on the shih tzu site, it shows grooming done by an organization wearing smocks saying another name. They don't give credit or pt. this out on intro video but it isn't them. they don't have a central building.-all dogs are placed in foster homes. Her 990 lists $450.00 in grooming expenses -how is that very low figure possible unless another agency is virtually donating the grooming?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsonly View Post
First, thank you for the kind words-I miss him so much-all my pets through the years have been delightful (or so they said). But, he was over the top adorable. A big hole in my heart and emptiness in my home.

Back to topic, ok?. And away from sports---focus, guys, focus...:-)

It would be very interesting for you'll to discover whom is financing the Lobbyists who gutted prop b. Should be public knowledge or file a Freedom of Info. request. I would not be surprised if some of their money didn't come from the "boutique" rescues. My thinking is if millers are limited to # of dogs allowed, then there are fewer 5-6 yr. olds available for purchase (again rescues that only have "small, mostly white, fluffy dogs").And this will cut into their (the rescues) bottom line. They would be limited to saving hoarders and puppy mill busts--Much more time consuming (cases have to wind through legal system) and more difficult than an agreement w/ millers to purchase 5-6 yr. old dogs.

Btw, on the shih tzu site, it shows grooming done by an organization wearing smocks saying another name. They don't give credit or pt. this out on intro video but it isn't them. they don't have a central building.-all dogs are placed in foster homes. Her 990 lists $450.00 in grooming expenses -how is that very low figure possible unless another agency is virtually donating the grooming?
one foster i work with is also a groomer and grooms her own dogs.... it is entirely possible that this ONE shih tzu rescue has a groomer that donates services.... i don't know..... if it is a concern, then i would certainly inquire.....

you are still focused on this ONE rescue..... when i am discussing rescues in general.... nationwide.....

right now, there is no limit to the number of dogs a miller here in Missouri can own.... we just had one in this area auction off all of their dogs right around the time prop b was passed last November.... there were 800-1,000 dogs in their operation..... run by an elderly couple and their daughter ..... with whatever help they could find that would work for minimum wage.....

don't know about the laws in other states.....

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Title of post is SO MAD AT RESCUE I COULD SPIT-that is what this thread is for. There must be other threads where you can discuss millers.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Okay well you all should read my post about a parrot rescue Im dealing with and listen to the ****e im going through and am about to send them an email and tell them to take the parrots and shove them . I know some of you will say it is not the birds fault . Just read my post about it . It is titled "HOw would you handle this under pets " . Please leave a comment if you feel like doing so . Yes if any money exchanges hands it is still selling , they can call it a re homing fee all they want too . It is selling not rescue .

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsonly View Post
Title of post is SO MAD AT RESCUE I COULD SPIT-that is what this thread is for. There must be other threads where you can discuss millers.

just addressing points raised by you in other posts......

Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Just adopted adorable pup from Humane Society. They said they no longer contact single breed dog Rescues due to many complaints . This is new direction for them.

My vet also said they hear many control complaints about fluffy small Rescues.

So my experience wasn't unique and I was able to save the life of a precious new pup w/o all the painful, judgmental experience.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
I didn't read all the threads here and I was just looking around in different threads old and new so sorry if someone else said the same as I will say.

I think it's possible the lady jumped to the conclusion that you would make this new 3yr old an outdoor cat since you already had an outdoor cat. She may have also jumped to the conclusion that you wouldn't make Hammy an indoor cat because that's not what you wanted. Most outdoor cats can become used to being indoors if young enough but Hammy being around 7yrs old ...well that's a tough one at a later age. I know with cats under 2-3 they get used to being indoors once they are spayed/neutered. I would have contacted this persons supervisor or anyone high up the ladder to get that little pussycat. It may sound strange but I think when you hold a homeless pussycat for a long enough time to get a sense of bonding and know you want that one they feel they have found a home in their own way. I bet it hurt that cat to be put back in that cage just as it hurt you.

I hope you did go over their head and report them. That is wrong what they did to you and not only you and the pussycat you were going to adopt but also all the others who never got adopted because she didn't care enough to look into the truth you and others told her. If her reason was truly to protect the cat then she could have gone the little extra steps on her own to see how you treat your newly adopted furry baby by checking up on you ....not flat out refuse to believe you and refuse to give give kitty a new home.

Argh I lost my edit. Where I live we have to give our month mortgage payments to the local shelter. I understand showing proof of ownership or rental lease Agreements because some landlords have "no pets allowed" but having to show your monthly mortgage payments is going too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats