Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 AM

80 posts, read 687,711 times

Advertisements

I have a neutered male cat who is addicted to Fancy Feast. He meows meows until I open a can. I don't mind giving him FF but he is very fat. If I don't give in, he would sit in front of me with a sad face and meows until he gets the food. It is very annoying but I just don't know how to fix his behaviors.

Do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
I have four cats and my 8yr old female Smudge used to get a small bowl of milk daily but would not drink it till much later in day but would cry loudly until you poured it in a bowl.
But other kitties would drink a little here and there and they would get diareah (sp) so had to stop altogether. It has been a year now with no milk for Smudge but she still cries alittle every time we go by fridge and we just have to say no. I feel bad and want to give in sometimes but know that is not good idea.
Maybe you could put Fancy Feast label on some other food that is not FF and trick him. lol

Old 01-02-2009, 09:36 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I have four cats and my 8yr old female Smudge used to get a small bowl of milk daily but would not drink it till much later in day but would cry loudly until you poured it in a bowl.
But other kitties would drink a little here and there and they would get diareah (sp) so had to stop altogether. It has been a year now with no milk for Smudge but she still cries alittle every time we go by fridge and we just have to say no. I feel bad and want to give in sometimes but know that is not good idea.
Maybe you could put Fancy Feast label on some other food that is not FF and trick him. lol
did you ever try giving your cat milk warmed in the microwave? perhaps she let it sit all day because the temperature was not to her liking.

My cats also prefer fancy feast so they get expensive dry food and split (between two cats) one can of fancy feast for supper.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
What is it about Fancy Feast that drives cats so crazy? I have a fat cat myself although in my defense she came to me from the SPCA that way at 15lbs and she will kick my ass for some Fancy Feast. That is not to say she doesn't love everything else including the dogs food and anything she can tear open in the pantry including cereal and pototo chips but Fancy Feast is her crack. There is a reason we call her the Whopper lol.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
To Big Mann, cats are not able to digest the people milk (I think it is the milk sugars) but there are feline milk products available that have removed the part that they can't digest. My cats love the Fancy Feast as well but they don't get a full can when I feed them. They split the small can between them twice daily and I haven't had a problem with their being overweight. Obviously it isn't my preferred product for them to eat (there are lots healthier products on the market) but given the choice between watching them turn up their noses at the more nutritious products and having them actually eat the Fancy Feast, it isn't really a choice for me.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Milk can be harmful to cats! It is because of the lack of the enzyme lactase, which helps in the digestion of milk sugars. This can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
On the FF, yeah...it is pure junk...equivalent to us eating McDonalds all the time. I would try and wean him off slowly. Mix some quality food with the FF and slowly add more of the other food and less FF. Maybe we can trick him into it!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
My kitties were die-hard FF junkies for a long time, and when I learned how bad it was for them (along with the meow mix and deli cat they used to eat),the switch to holistic was a long road for us, but I was determined to do it. There are some excellent canned foods out there, (Pinnacle, Solid Gold, Evo, Merrick, Evangers to name a few...) The grains and fillers are most likely to blame for the chubby factor, try to ease into a low or no-grain food little by little. For treats, I make actual meat (usually roasted with dandelion root tea) and they love it much more than the FF they cried for back in the day! Good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Being overweight isn't healthy for cats--more prone to diabetes. I think like the above poster said that fillers, etc. in these commercial brands aren't great. He could be more hungry because he's nutrient deprived. Maybe try a holistic brand. I used to use Artemis, but there are other good quality brands and not much more cost-wise per can than FF. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM

182 posts, read 502,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Milk can be harmful to cats! It is because of the lack of the enzyme lactase, which helps in the digestion of milk sugars. This can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
On the FF, yeah...it is pure junk...equivalent to us eating McDonalds all the time. I would try and wean him off slowly. Mix some quality food with the FF and slowly add more of the other food and less FF. Maybe we can trick him into it!
I'm curious why you think fancy feast is junk
When my Kali cat was diagnosed with diabetes, I found a web site that had a fancy feast diets for diabetic cats. I don't know all of the labels but there are probably 8 different kinds that don't have wheat, soy or corn in them. From what I gather they work pretty well at keeping carbs and blood sugar down.

BTW My Winky cat gets half a can of Fancy Feast in the morning and the other half at night, during the day he gets Wellness Complete Care chicken.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM

80 posts, read 687,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
What is it about Fancy Feast that drives cats so crazy? I have a fat cat myself although in my defense she came to me from the SPCA that way at 15lbs and she will kick my ass for some Fancy Feast. That is not to say she doesn't love everything else including the dogs food and anything she can tear open in the pantry including cereal and pototo chips but Fancy Feast is her crack. There is a reason we call her the Whopper lol.
I swear Fancy Feast adds cat cocaine into their food. My boy just would not live without them. He now eats 5-6 cans every day. I tried many premium wet foods but he would just walk away from those. I think he'd rather starve. Does anybody know of a cat diet pill? He really needs to lose some weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats