Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Thanks. We had a cat years ago that we took to the local ASPCA (except that it is a kill shelter). They said they could not take it because it was not born in this county. Mom said (she wouldn't do this), "Well, I guess we'll have to leave it on the side of the road." The guy who ran the pound said, "Okay, but don't do it in this county or this guy," (he points to the cop in the room) "will get after you." There have been a lot of complaints about that pound. There are a few shelters around here, but not like it bigger cities. I'll make some calls tomorrow.

And that particular cat was adopted by a friend. She's living in an big abandoned house and catching birds and mice now.

I don't know if our local vet would take them to adopt them out or not. She's adopted out animals before, but I don't know how often she does it.
You're a good egg for taking such concern for these little gems. I wish I could offer better advice than what you've received on the forum, but I cannot. I suggest calling PETA or your local animal activists.

Keep up the good work; we need more people such as yourself in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
The kittens have started following me around the backyard now.

Their eyes have really cleared up. We'll probably take them back to the vet next week to get their shots. Then they will be ready to go up for adoption.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
I may have missed it, but what is being done about Mama cat? She is probably about ready to go into heat again (if she hasn't already) and the cycle will be repeating itself.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM

244 posts, read 718,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I may have missed it, but what is being done about Mama cat? She is probably about ready to go into heat again (if she hasn't already) and the cycle will be repeating itself.

Great point!

STL- Thank you so much for all you have done for the kitties! But, as ShelbyGirl(and others) have mentioned, Mama cat NEEDS to be spayed so you will not feel compelled to continually take care of strays.

I understand your concerns about how skittish she is, but where there is a will, there's a way. Use the contacts you have made through the vet to find help with Mama cat.

Again, you're a wonderful cat saint

Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Can't do anything about the momma cat. Either she will stay or she will leave. I can't catch her, and no shelters around here do anything as far as traps. As far as taking care of momma cat, there's nothing I can do. She'll probably just have more babies. I don't want her to have more babies, but what can I do about it?

Even if I could find a trap to catch her, we can't afford to get her spayed, and no shelter will take her.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Contact this organization and ask if they can refer you to someone in your area.

Metro Animal Resource Services, Inc. This is listed in their "upcoming events" section.
Quote:
Instead of euthanizing feral/street cats, Operation Sterile Feral (OSF) assists inviduals to humanely trap homeless cats,have them spayed/neutered, and then return them to their original environment where a caretaker provides life time care for the colony. This humane method stops the cats from breeding and allows them to live in their natural habitat under the care of a private citizen.
But they only work in the St. Charles area. Here's their phone number; maybe they can refer you somewhere near you.

314-995-9266

These folks might be able to help you, too: http://www.catnetwork.com/main.asp

Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Gave the kittens food and fresh water today. It is a hot, thirsty day. I was sitting with them when momma came back. She saw me and I saw her and I figured she probably wanted to get a drink of water and be with her babies. I have some new pics.

I walked outside and the kittens started rubbing on my legs.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 06-19-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 05:38 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
They all look so great-Way too go!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
They all look so great-Way too go!
They are beyond sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,237,341 times
Purrfect pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats