Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I don't care about what animals do on my property either...there are plenty of ferals and strays that wander into my yard, plenty of birds that poop...doesn't bother me at all, because I'm an animal person and I love and respect them. But not everyone feels that way, many will harm or kill stray cats and other creatures, which is why it is irresponsible to knowingly let them roam in certain environments. I would even venture to say that most people would get mad if a cat came into their yard and ate their plants, trampled their landscaping, and pooped on their decks...and some of those people will do a whole lot more than have a heart-to-heart with the cat's owners or call animal control. While the intention to allow cats the freedom they desire might be good, the end results can be devastating.
Again, I think it depends one where you live, the overall enviornment. We live in a somewhat rural area so kitties wander our neighborhood quite often, as to the deer, coons etc. All can do damage, but all are wonderful to watch.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Default There are circumstances................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post

If living with an adopted cat for three years of him peeing on the floor in the house doesn't show love and an emotional attachment I don't know what does. And I *still* considered making him an outdoor cat as a last resort. Back to the crate training for him.
I did say there are certain circumstances where cats must be allowed outside. Where it's understandable. Where there isn't much choice. I myself would not keep a cat indoors that urinated and/or defecated all over my home. If a neighbor complained or the cat started killing wildlife, then a decision would have to be made.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Speaking on the behalf of the "sick monsters who harm animals" I'd like to state that as a neighbor I have no obligation to tolerate someone else's animal on my property. Though I don't badly hurt an animal, I'll certainly let it know that it isn't welcome on my property. I resent neighbor cats knocking bird nests out of our trees, leaving bunny parts (mostly ears) on my lawn, and peeing in my bushes.

We live in the suburbs, and I've had a few confrontations with cat owners in my neighborhoods (past and present). I've taken a water hose to an outdoor cat, along with other means such as cap pistols to get a message across that they don't belong here.

I've found that some cat owners are overly tuned into the needs of their cat, and the destructive tendencies if not allowed to roam free. If that is how one feels, just make sure you live in a rural setting, then it shouldn't be a problem with neighbors. But, if living in a suburban setting, some neighbors, like me, aren't going to put up with the cat and are willing to let it and the owner know in no uncertain terms that it isn't welcome.

This has led to a couple of rather harsh exchanges with the cat owners, but eventually they decided to just be more responsible pet owners.

Sometimes, "mean" neighbors are a byproduct of self centered pet owners.
That's a different scenario from someone who gets enjoyment out of hurting an animal, which I was referring to.

Spraying a pesty cat that you don't want in your yard with water or scaring it with a cap gun isn't cruelty.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I did say there are certain circumstances where cats must be allowed outside. Where it's understandable. Where there isn't much choice. I myself would not keep a cat indoors that urinated and/or defecated all over my home. If a neighbor complained or the cat started killing wildlife, then a decision would have to be made.
Yeah, it wasn't something I wanted to do but as it turns out I don't think that will work for him either since he didn't seem interested in roaming around. I think the cat needs to live with someone even more obsessive than I am (and I am) who will scoop the litter box every time a cat uses it and then maybe a few extra times just for good measure.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
My sister once had a cat like this. It would poop behind the couch and was constantly dragging in dead birds and animals and leaving them under the dining room table.

She had another cat that was fastidious about cleanliness, and when both cats had kittens around the same time, the clean one picked up the dirty one's kittens and brought them to the litter box to train them along with her own.

My sister kept a horse and knew a lot of horse people, so she finally gave the dirty cat to one of the barns. The cat lived there for quite a few years and seemed content. Lots of mice, woods behind the barn, etc.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
Yeah, it wasn't something I wanted to do but as it turns out I don't think that will work for him either since he didn't seem interested in roaming around. I think the cat needs to live with someone even more obsessive than I am (and I am) who will scoop the litter box every time a cat uses it and then maybe a few extra times just for good measure.
The new cat here lives on our porch because he will not use even a freshly cleaned litter pan. He doesn't know what they are.

Do you think your cat would use the litter box if it were scooped twice a day? Maybe you let it go too long between scoopings/cleanings.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister once had a cat like this. It would poop behind the couch and was constantly dragging in dead birds and animals and leaving them under the dining room table.

She had another cat that was fastidious about cleanliness, and when both cats had kittens around the same time, the clean one picked up the dirty one's kittens and brought them to the litter box to train them along with her own.

My sister kept a horse and knew a lot of horse people, so she finally gave the dirty cat to one of the barns. The cat lived there for quite a few years and seemed content. Lots of mice, woods behind the barn, etc.
That cat was lucky to find a home. I know some cats will just never learn to use a litter pan.

I wish I knew someone with a horse barn or farm who would take BoiKat. I've contacted all my contacts and had no luck at all in finding a place for him.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
So I guess those of us who have an outdoor cat really don`t love them. We really just like the idea of having a cat....LOL, this is so stupid that I have to laugh.

As far as dogs are concerned, my cat chased a dog and is not afraid of them.
How can you say you love them knowing how many thousands are run over every day all over the country? What of those killed by coyotes, hawks and fox? Those tortured and poisoned by sociopaths? Those picked up and sold to Labs by people out to make a fast buck? Those caught between fences or under building to suffer and finally die after many days. Those killed by dogs? Your cat isn't going to chase off two or more dogs intent on killing it.

No, you don't love them at all. To claim you do is so stupid I have to laugh. LOL and LOL and a few more LOLs.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
It all depends on the cat. All my cats have been in-door out-door kitties and lived to ripe old ages. They have always had access to their home through a pet door in the window or a basement window for saftey. But none of them were roamers. My present kitty won't budge out of her courtyard and won't go anywhere near the sidewalk. All she wants to do is sit on her step or under a bush next to the door and watch the world go by. She can come back inside anytime she wants.
Sometimes she just sits on the ledge of the window sill right outside her windoor.

She is going to be 11 this year. I just can't deprive her of this pleasure. I have retired neighbors who are home all day while I am at work and they love to watch her. She is as safe as possible while still going outdoors.

There are other countries such as England where people think it is cruel to force a cat to stay indoors and where declawing is illegal. We still declaw and don't let our cats out doors. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
So I guess those of us who have an outdoor cat really don`t love them. We really just like the idea of having a cat....LOL, this is so stupid that I have to laugh.

As far as dogs are concerned, my cat chased a dog and is not afraid of them.
Its a good thing that dog didn't have a different mindset. My rescued dog Gator weighs in at almost 80 lbs and would unfortunately consider your cat a snack. Just because one dog backed down doesn't mean the next one will. Whenever someone's outside cat "runs away" I'd be willing to bet that most of the time it has been killed or maimed in one manner or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats