Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:46 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, that and the fact that scan will probably cost something like $10k
Oh, I see. My mom has Medicare so they paid for it fully. Healthcare costs really should be more affordable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 05:23 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Ugh, thinking of both of those scenarios that would really hurt. I probably wouldn't go to the hospital either though. Sorry to say it but going to the hospital for something like that ( especially these days) is a hassle...but worth it i guess.
Damn straight it's worth it. A brain bleed is a stroke, and I had one at age 30. I DIDN'T go to the hospital at first, because I didn't know what it was. I slept it off, and then the week after was when I collapsed at work, fell right on the ground as I was walking down the hallway, because my right leg gave out (the right side of my body was affected).

That was when I went to a doctor, who sent me to an imaging place for an MRI. The imaging place had me ambulances down to one of the hospitals in Albany, they had me do a MRA (thankfully my insurance at that time didn't charge copays or coinsurance for either of them, and I had no deductible!!!) and it was diagnosed as a brain hemorrhage.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:33 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, I see. My mom has Medicare so they paid for it fully. Healthcare costs really should be more affordable
Absolutely. When I had my brain bleed in 2005 I was only out a few copays - one to see my PCP, the imaging place where I had my MRI done was in network so I paid nothing, and I had copays for the ambulance ride, the ER and the follow-up visit with the neurologist who treated me at the hospital. I also had an MRA at the hospital. I got an itemized bill for the ER, that MRA was something like $5,000, and keep in mind I had scans in one day! That whole visit was around $6,000, and all I had to pay was the copays.

Today I would have had a deductible to meet (my plan at that time didn't have one), and coinsurance to pay out (didn't have that eirher). I was only out around $200 total.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:40 AM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
I don't want to make a thing out of this but when I was carted off by ambulance and hospitalized 18 months ago for 5 days due to a fall from a ladder that broke 12 of my ribs the cost was ...zero. Likewise a recent blood test and later ultra-scan cost me zero. We have a wonderful health system here in Australia. Of course there is a cost but it's in the form of a small automatic deduction from one's paycheck and is therefore not even noticed. Ambulance service is likewise subsidized by a small extra payment on one's electricity bill. Elective surgery may be a different matter.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:24 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Damn straight it's worth it. A brain bleed is a stroke, and I had one at age 30. I DIDN'T go to the hospital at first, because I didn't know what it was. I slept it off, and then the week after was when I collapsed at work, fell right on the ground as I was walking down the hallway, because my right leg gave out (the right side of my body was affected).

That was when I went to a doctor, who sent me to an imaging place for an MRI. The imaging place had me ambulances down to one of the hospitals in Albany, they had me do a MRA (thankfully my insurance at that time didn't charge copays or coinsurance for either of them, and I had no deductible!!!) and it was diagnosed as a brain hemorrhage.
Exactly. That's what happened to my mom. The doctors were amazed my mom was as functional as she was. Just a headache as a symptom. And it wasn't even a debilitating headache at first. Could still walk around, cook, do light housework but it gradually became worse and that's when I called 911.

Was your brain hemorrhage the result of a fall?

Old 02-10-2022, 08:19 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Absolutely. When I had my brain bleed in 2005 I was only out a few copays - one to see my PCP, the imaging place where I had my MRI done was in network so I paid nothing, and I had copays for the ambulance ride, the ER and the follow-up visit with the neurologist who treated me at the hospital. I also had an MRA at the hospital. I got an itemized bill for the ER, that MRA was something like $5,000, and keep in mind I had scans in one day! That whole visit was around $6,000, and all I had to pay was the copays.

Today I would have had a deductible to meet (my plan at that time didn't have one), and coinsurance to pay out (didn't have that eirher). I was only out around $200 total.

I'm actually surprised it was that cheap.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
We knew a guy about 70 who was walking up the stairs before Christmas and fell backwards
His wife heard it, came downstairs and found him bleeding at bottom of stairs, unconscious
Called 911 and ambulance took him to hospital—
He never came out of coma—had brain bleed and was on life support for days before the family stopped the ventilator
The doctors said that he must have slipped and called backwards and the fall on tile floor caused hemorrhage
He was bleeding from nose and ears when his wife found him
We thought he maybe had stroke which caused him to fall and add the hit to his head on top of stroke
He had also had hip replacement surgery about 2 mo before—and some issue with blood clots from that I think
So I wondered if it couldn’t have been an embolism that caused the fall

Old 02-10-2022, 09:12 AM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times
No drugs were found in his body. I would have thought he would have taken a pain reliever for a headache if he had hit his head hard enough to cause head trauma (which he was unaware of) except for head pain. Would he have gone to bed to sleep if he had a headache from hitting his head somehow without taking a pain reliever? Don't all adults know that a severe hit to the head could be a concussion, and one is not to sleep with a concussion?

Old 02-10-2022, 09:16 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
How did they know he hit his head? Did he tell people or did others witness this and no one thought to mention it before (maybe they did). There was another actress who hit her head after a ski accident fall. It didn't seem serious at the time but she died. Never assume it's nothing when it comes to head injuries.
An autopsy revealed head trauma.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Authorities have determined that Bob Saget died of head trauma:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...003351690.html

'They have concluded that he accidentally hit the back of his head on something, thought nothing of it and went to sleep. No drugs or alcohol were involved.'

I suppose that could happen...but seems a bit fishy. He appeared to be in pretty good shape, 65 isn't all that old...hitting your head so hard unless you were in a car accident or something just seems strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities