Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 06:26 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

Yet another worthless celebrity.

He could’ve done a lot of good in this world. He could’ve really made a difference for many, many people.

Instead, he chose to sit in his So Cal mansion and abuse drugs for decades and God knows what else.

This is the problem with America. An elite, ruling class who are nihilists that only exist in order to pursue their own pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 06:46 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I’m so upset by his passing. Gone too soon.

RIP Mr. Perry. I’m so glad I got to experience you as part of the Friends cast. Thank you for making me laugh all those years. Can I BE anymore upset?

Old 10-29-2023, 06:58 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I didn't know that he was childhood friends with Justin Trudeau. Perry's mother was press secretary for Trudeau's father.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:31 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
In his 2022 memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing,” Perry recounted his lifelong struggle with addiction to alcohol and opioids. He wrote that he had his first drink at 14, but didn’t recognize the signs of alcoholism until 21. Since then, he estimated, he’d spent more than $7 million on efforts to get sober, including multiple stints in rehab. His substance abuse also led to a number of serious health issues, including a five-month hospitalization in 2018 following a colon rupture that left him, he wrote, with a 2% chance to live through the night.

And it was fueled, he acknowledged during a “Friends” reunion special in 2021, by the pressure to land the joke in front of a live studio audience night after night.

“Nobody wanted to be famous more than me,” Perry told The Times in April, discussing “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing” at the Festival of Books. “I was convinced it was the answer. I was 25, it was the second year of ‘Friends,’ and eight months into it, I realized the American dream is not making me happy, not filling the holes in my life. I couldn’t get enough attention. … Fame does not do what you think it’s going to do. It was all a trick.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rry-dead-at-56

Old 10-29-2023, 07:36 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

He could’ve done a lot of good in this world. He could’ve really made a difference for many, many people.

Instead, he chose to sit in his So Cal mansion and abuse drugs for decades and God knows what else.

This is the problem with America. An elite, ruling class who are nihilists that only exist in order to pursue their own pleasure.
Who knows if he had? There are those that give and do not make a production of it. While it is too bad if he did horde everything to himself, still, death robs those who people love and leaves a hole in many lives. Unless a person was evil and took the lives of others, I say that it is too bad that any should die. It is the ultimate enemy.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:03 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

TBF - he did do some good advocacy work in relation to drug addiction and even opened a drug rehab facility known as Perry House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

In 2011, Perry lobbied the U.S. Congress as a celebrity spokesperson for the National Association of Drug Court Professionals in support of funding for drug courts.

He received a Champion of Recovery award in May 2013 from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy for opening Perry House, a rehab center in his former mansion in Malibu, California. He relocated it in 2015.

Matthew Perry - Addiction and advocacy - Wikipedia

Old 10-29-2023, 08:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
So sorry to hear this.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:19 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
I think this man had more than nine lives. He had BAD addictions for a long time, close calls and many relapses. He did try to help others with addiction. He doesn't seem like someone cut out for celebrity and it chewed him up.

It is sad that he died, but home in a warm jacuzzi overlooking the ocean isn't the worst way to go. Just too young.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:24 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
........R.I.P. Chandler!!!
Well, in respect, one might want to call him by his real name for two main reasons.

First of all, some of us have no clue who this Chandler is.

Secondly and more importantly, he was an actor.....and Chandler was just a role he played. He was not Chandler but Perry. At the end of the day, the make up comes off. EDIT: I have been corrected that "Chandler" was the first and not the last name and hence, respectfully, it would be Matthew and not Perry....but as said, which goes to show, of having no clue about "Chandler".

Ray Walston said how it really irked him when he was on vacation overseas and some guy yelled out ot the crowd, "Hey, Uncle Martin!" for that was not who he was.

If you want to respect the man, refer to him by who he was in real life.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-29-2023 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 09:38 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
We were an Army family and everytime we moved duty stationed (after 1996) and knew that the wait for cable (and later wifi)was around a week or more so we had videos (first VHS and later DVDs) playing.

"Friends" was always played and we still laugh at the episodes. Thanksgiving always includes "Friends" and this year the floating heads Thanksgiving episode will hit rather sadly

Rest in peace Matthew and thanks for the laughter - it means a lot to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities