Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 05:54 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

I have a close close family member the same age as him, and I feel very bad for him, and his parents for their loss. Early 50's is too young to go these days. Like David Cassidy, addiction took over, never let go, and took him away. His health, his looks, his ability to perform, and ultimately his life. Everything.

But I never found Friends a bit funny. Cute theme song and all, sure. But I put it right there with the Big Bang Theory on highly hyped shows that never did deserve it. Just my take of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 07:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 4,626,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have a close close family member the same age as him, and I feel very bad for him, and his parents for their loss. Early 50's is too young to go these days. Like David Cassidy, addiction took over, never let go, and took him away. His health, his looks, his ability to perform, and ultimately his life. Everything.

But I never found Friends a bit funny. Cute theme song and all, sure. But I put it right there with the Big Bang Theory on highly hyped shows that never did deserve it. Just my take of course.
Not a huge fan of the show either. Perry himself admitted he doesn't remember about 3 years of it because he was trashed all the time. He found a new path too late in life which is good and sad. And it was health consequences not a personal choice per say.

People have to realize that most of the damage was done before his later years and there for the younger addicts must learn where it might end. Also keep in mind he admits his addiction cost him about 9 million dollars in trips to rehab and medical issues. Without that celebrity money he would've gone years ago.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:20 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Saw this on FB: ("When I die" (my title) by Matthew Langford Perry)
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/10...8595793879.jpg

Old 10-29-2023, 08:20 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Could this *be* any more messed up?

This was more shocking to me than most. Obviously, he acted in other things, but come on, "Chandler Bing"? I would say he's up there with the big ones.

Thank you, Mr. Perry, for entertaining us and making us laugh, so much. Hopefully you're at peace now.
I agree. I was pretty upset when I heard the news. Friends is my favorite show, ever. I am the same age as they are so that was a factor, I could relate and let's not forget how funny it was/is. Chandler Bing is a part of pop culture, the show isn't in syndication constantly for nothing. I can't believe someone wouldn't know who Matthew Perry is, he was in several movies also.

His comedic timing is off the charts, that takes talent. Damn, I'm going to miss him.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:48 PM

19,400 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I agree. I was pretty upset when I heard the news. Friends is my favorite show, ever. I am the same age as they are so that was a factor, I could relate
My SO and I were talking about that, too. (He's the exact same age as Matthew was.) The show came on at basically the same time that we were trying to "grow up" and "find out who we were as adults," etc. It feels like we grew up with them. (The same way, as a child, I identified with The Brady Bunch or, as a teenager, "The Facts of Life" or "Good Times.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
and let's not forget how funny it was/is. Chandler Bing is a part of pop culture, the show isn't in syndication constantly for nothing. I can't believe someone wouldn't know who Matthew Perry is, he was in several movies also.

His comedic timing is off the charts, that takes talent. Damn, I'm going to miss him.
He's a HUGE part of pop culture.

And yes, thank you, "his comedic timing is off the charts," that's perfect. That's exactly why he was so great.

As people have mentioned, supposedly he was out of it for years and doesn't even remember periods of time on the show. And yet, I don't recall him ever delivering a bad line. That's pretty incredible.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:22 PM

269 posts, read 181,142 times
I was a shy nerdy kid beginning college. Friends got me through those years, and Chandler in particular, made me the outgoing sarcastic person I am today. Rest In Peace Matthew Perry

Old 10-29-2023, 09:48 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My SO and I were talking about that, too. (He's the exact same age as Matthew was.) The show came on at basically the same time that we were trying to "grow up" and "find out who we were as adults," etc. It feels like we grew up with them. (The same way, as a child, I identified with The Brady Bunch or, as a teenager, "The Facts of Life" or "Good Times.")

He's a HUGE part of pop culture.

And yes, thank you, "his comedic timing is off the charts," that's perfect. That's exactly why he was so great.

As people have mentioned, supposedly he was out of it for years and doesn't even remember periods of time on the show. And yet, I don't recall him ever delivering a bad line. That's pretty incredible.
I never thought he didn't deliver either, he was a functional drug-addict/alcoholic evidently. Even if he doesn't remember. One thing is for sure though, HE will be remembered by millions, maybe even close to a billion. It is in syndication worldwide. That's impressive and well-deserved. LOL "Friends" was a rite of passage for some, a true phenomenon.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:26 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Yet another worthless celebrity.

He could’ve done a lot of good in this world. He could’ve really made a difference for many, many people.

Instead, he chose to sit in his So Cal mansion and abuse drugs for decades and God knows what else.

This is the problem with America. An elite, ruling class who are nihilists that only exist in order to pursue their own pleasure.
Oh, the irony.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:39 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am here pay respect to an actor.....and to remind people that a real man has died, not some character on TV.
Except that you don't know if he would have felt the same way about that that you seem to.....you don't know if he would have objected to people using the name of his most famous character or not. Just because Ray Walston didn't like being called 'Uncle Martin' doesn't mean Matthew would have objected to people paying their respects to him with the name of his most famous character.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:44 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Somehow I managed to stay away from the news, as I didn't know about this death until Sunday late afternoon. What a shock. Maybe not totally unexpected, but it still surprised me.

I noticed there was no comment from his castmates, and I knew right then they were waiting for their various PR people to get to work (on Monday) to craft an appropriate communal message they could all use on their social media. The 'story' is they're too upset to say anything.... uh huh. No, this is going to be a carefully crafted statement to placate the fans and try not to pizz anyone off.

The reality is most of the cast, perhaps all 5 of the others, had distanced themselves from Perry in more recent years, as his addiction deepened. It was obvious to me when they did that reunion show in 2021, their reticence was palpable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities