Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 10,947 times

Advertisements

To anyone who might know, my wife and I are moving to the Charleston area later next month and have been looking at home for a while now but have had trouble finding any specific details petraining to individual subdivisions and neighborhoods. Currently we are looking at homes in Ladson and North Charleston. I am in the Air Force and we are looking to purchase a home versus renting. From what I hear, Ladson is nice and relatively safe. North Charleston, not so much. But there are some houses in the Windsor Hill/Plantation Point subdivision that look very nice and meet our needs/wants in a home and I am trying to find out if anyone is familliar with Windsor Hill and can give us some pointers/info. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,923 times
There are parts of North Charleston that are not as safe, as others. I have shown homes in Windsor Hill. The best advice is to contact the local police department and ask their stats. There are several neighborhoods in North Charleston to consider. I don't know your price range but have your Realtor show you Taylor Plantation, White Hall, Kings Grant, Wescott Plantation and Mckewn (a new subdivision). These are in the same mls area as Windsor Hill and have homes under 200K.

Hope this helps.

PS- I just named a few neighborhoods without knowing your criteria there may be much more. I have sold many homes to USAF people in Wescott Plantation and it is a very nice and safe family community.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,947 times
We are looking for something between 1400 and 2000 Sq Ft, preferably with a screened in porch, fenced yard with 3+ BD/2+BA and a 2 car garage in the alert radius of the base. I was just searching and found the McKewn subdivision you mentioned and had seen several homes on the MLS listing in that area but being that it is new I havent found much info on it/them. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it and I will talk to my Realtor about it.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 AM

272 posts, read 908,935 times
If you have children, don't live in Charleston County. The schools aren't too good there.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrammie View Post
If you have children, don't live in Charleston County. The schools aren't too good there.
Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Mount Pleasant in Charleston County has some of the highest rated schools in the area. My daughters attended Pickney, Cario, and Wando HS>

Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,326,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Mount Pleasant in Charleston County has some of the highest rated schools in the area. My daughters attended Pickney, Cario, and Wando HS>
And how many kids from North Charleston or Ladson go to Pickney, Cario or Wando?

Mt Pleasant has some good schools but on average there are more bad schools in Charleston County than there are in Dorchester....

Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM

209 posts, read 534,041 times
I personally find McKewn to be one of those neighborhoods with big houses on tiny lots with no trees. I was excited when I first saw the size of the houses for the price when I looked on the MLS, but was very disappointed when I actually saw the neighborhood.

We just moved into Taylor Plantation, which is a Ryland community. It's near the intersection of Dorchester and Ashley Phosphate Roads. There are many AF families in here, including 2 who just returned from deployment (as noted by the Welcome Home banners outside the house). There are nice trees, and decent options in the number and type of floor plans (1 and 2 story, 1500 sq ft and up). Prices start in the 170s. The elementary and middle schools (Eagle Nest Elementary and River Oak MS) are located within the community and are only 2 years old. The kids walk to school. Fort Dorchester HS is just across Dorchester Road about 1.5 miles from the neighborhood. Publix is located at the corner of Ash Phosphate and Dorchester Roads, so that's very convenient. PM me if you want more info! I think there's a $1000 discount if you say you know someone in the community when you sign a contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area