Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennvannone View Post
Renato_Carl, your not entirely wrong and some of these posts that replied to you were way to aggressive in getting their point across.
Charleston has been ole' boy network, redneck world for over 150 years. They are way behind the rest of the 50 states in many categories, mainly the ones that matter (education-industry-they cant even get tourism right) So being from NYC-or anywhere above the mason dixon line-you will be at some point called Damn Yankee, or some other low class, uneducated comment. These people are still fighting the civil war-sorry, THE WAR of NORTHERN AGGRESSION and live through that lens of thought. Hey guys, you lost the war-its over so, in your best interests, move on with your lives, you would be doing yourself and everyone around you a favor. So, if you feel you were treated unfriendly, the above mentioned probably plays a big part, so don't take it seriously, they are just not very intelligent. Anyone who points to polls to solidify their arguments and agenda's watch to much TV and have no clue what they are talking about.
Pot, meet kettle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,536 times
I didn't say that people were rude, many are quite friendly and I have many wonderful friends that I met here..Good southern people, kind, generous with their time, family oriented, just great people overall. I said that some have significant prejudice against northerners. Any American -vs- American prejudice, is a sad event, nobody from the north feels ill will toward southerners re: the civil war-they would not even know what you were talking about (north-south prejudice) nor would they care, thats the folks I am referring to.
Pattig, please tell me where there is academic excellence? The public school system? They can't keep a superintendent for a year. Industry-other than Boeing (a much smaller plant then initially intended) what else is there? and as to Downtown, what tourism are you referring to? Charleston barely brings in 2 mil a year from the self proclaimed destination location.Savannah does tourism well. It is just sad that there is potential here, but the facts remain, the above mentioned talking points will not see any positive change because, "that's just not how we do things down here". Once old boy Riley is out of the game, perhaps there will be new blood that can take Charleston in a better direction. 50% high school drop out rate is just not acceptable. . Lastly, it is the Northern money that has made Charleston's suburbs what it is today, so before anyone say's the always unexpected "why don't you go back then?" , wonder what would happen if we did and took our money with us. Acceptance of change is what makes the world go 'round, right Mustangeater82?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I've been visiting various parts of Florida -- Panhandle, Gulf coast, Miami area, Orlando area for over 20 years and have always found people in Florida to be really nice. Guess I've just been lucky.

I have never found one city, area, or country to be 'ruder' than another. Human beings can sometimes be rude and sometimes can be nice.....

Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
I didn't say that people were rude, many are quite friendly and I have many wonderful friends that I met here..Good southern people, kind, generous with their time, family oriented, just great people overall. I said that some have significant prejudice against northerners. Any American -vs- American prejudice, is a sad event, nobody from the north feels ill will toward southerners re: the civil war-they would not even know what you were talking about (north-south prejudice) nor would they care, thats the folks I am referring to.
Pattig, please tell me where there is academic excellence? The public school system? They can't keep a superintendent for a year. Industry-other than Boeing (a much smaller plant then initially intended) what else is there? and as to Downtown, what tourism are you referring to? Charleston barely brings in 2 mil a year from the self proclaimed destination location.Savannah does tourism well. It is just sad that there is potential here, but the facts remain, the above mentioned talking points will not see any positive change because, "that's just not how we do things down here". Once old boy Riley is out of the game, perhaps there will be new blood that can take Charleston in a better direction. 50% high school drop out rate is just not acceptable. . Lastly, it is the Northern money that has made Charleston's suburbs what it is today, so before anyone say's the always unexpected "why don't you go back then?" , wonder what would happen if we did and took our money with us. Acceptance of change is what makes the world go 'round, right Mustangeater82?
You obviously haven't been here very long....

First there are several very good Government Schools, but I will give you that most of them are crap, that is why I recommend Private schools....

As for industry, we have a lot more industry here that what you are talking about: Nucor Steel, has been here for nearly 20 year; Alcoa and JW Alum, both for over 20 years; Behr Heat Transfer and the other spin offs of Cumins Engines, well over 50 year; lets not forget the paper mill, over 50 years; Boeing, it was initially just going to build sections of the plane here and then send it to Everrit to finish now we are going to be getting sections from everywhere else and building the plane here, that doesn't sound like it is a smaller plant....

As for N vs S bias, the OP made comments about the south being backwards, that right there shows bias.....

You even called the south Redneck and the good ole boy network yourself, showing your bias, so don't tell me that there isn't any prejudice from the north to the south.....

Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:

Ok you are important, and we are glad you are here. Are you happy?

As for the dropout rate, my mom's highschool in FL has a worst one, HS dropouts are on the rise around the country, not just here.

Boeing much smaller then it intended? what are you talking about? It was announced last year and they broke ground 13 months ago... its pretty much a logistical wonder that they are as far as they are now. How big was it supposed to be?

Do you walk around with an attitude of "Charleston wouldn't be here without my money"? No wonder people have a bad attitude towards you. LOL Why did you move here if this place has nothing to offer you?

Quote:
As for N vs S bias, the OP made comments about the south being backwards, that right there shows bias.....

You even called the south Redneck and the good ole boy network yourself, showing your bias, so don't tell me that there isn't any prejudice from the north to the south.....
EXACTLY!

As for Florida, not everyone hates everyone, but I feel people are much friendlier here.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Industry-other than Boeing (a much smaller plant then initially intended)...
Just curious - what makes you say that?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Are you guys still feeding the trolls? Come on...

Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Are you guys still feeding the trolls? Come on...
It's nice theres very little of that asshattery here

Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
LOL. Asshattery? I have never heard that before.

Regarding unfriendliness, I agree with most of the others that when not behind the wheel of their cars, most people are friendly to very friendly and accomodating.

However, when they are driving, it is a different story. I was tailgated by a yellow and black tire truck the other day that I thought was purposely trying to hit me as I was about to get on the bridge and head towards Mt. P. It was terrifying and he COULD have passed me on the left if he'd wanted to pass. Luckily I was able to scoot over to the right to so he could charge ahead without having to change lanes. THAT was OBNOXIOUS not to mention DANGEROUS. If I had slowed down just a tiny bit he would have hit me. It literally seemed like he was no more than 6 inches behind my rear bumper. There are some VERY aggressive drivers down here without much patience. I will grant the OP that.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,610 times
love it here....its paradise, if you dont feel the same way move to Myrtle Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area