Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 58,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastali View Post
We'll be relocating soon, and have a sophomore and junior. I think I'm more nervous than they are.

I am nervous too. Will you be moving after the school year starts? Do they play sports? Feel free to send me a PM if you want to correspond!
We are moving from Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 PM

19 posts, read 118,667 times
Another great neighborhood is Seaside Farms. It is right next to the IOP connector so it only takes about 4 minutes to get to the beach! Seaside Farms is in walking distance to Piggly Wiggly, Target, good restaurants and shops and a quick drive to Towne Center . Great neighborhood pool and a great location!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Check out Snee Farm. It's a well-established sub-division of mixed styles of homes, all well maintained. Main entrance is on Rt 17, with another primary entrance in the back. And it's not far from the new Wando HS.

My parents are NJ transplants, having lived in Snee Farm since winter of 1989. (What a year that was! Hurricane Hugo in September and snow for Christmas!!) They love Mt. Pleasant. And they think Mayor Cheryl is great!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 165,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefaunt View Post
I live in Hamlin Plantation and really love it! We have 2 children and they are sooooo happy in Hamlin- plenty of children to play with. Hamlin Plantation also has a huge swimming pool with a slide, tennis courts, workout center, volleyball court and walking trails throughout. The neighbors have welcomed us with open arms. I'd highly recommend checking it out.
Best of Luck-You're going to love this area
Hamlin Plantation seems a bit pricey to me. We are moving to Charleston in a few months from Suffolk, VA. We own our house here and it's worth about $350,000. But we only owe $100,000 so our payments are very low, under $1000 per month. I think my hubby makes around $80,000 take home per year, but I don't want a huge house payment, I would rather use that money to take my kids fun places all the time, instead of being trapped inside all day because we can't afford to go anywhere.
Anything nice, in that area, with good schools, that isn't too expensive. Not really sure that i would want to live in a townhouse either. Not very private.
Any info would be great. Hamlin looks nice, but just very pricey.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM

14 posts, read 64,285 times
My husband, daughter and I are looking into Mt Pleasant.....I have heard that Old Town is great......what is the rental situation like in that area? We are looking to rent a 3 (at least) bedroom with a good sized yard. Looking to spend 1800 max per month...any suggestions????

Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 AM

25 posts, read 104,417 times
RE: Getting down highway 17 from Charleston National/Park West -- they've opened up a road that runs from Porchers Bluff/Rifle Range Road behind the new Wal-mart shopping center and Blackbeard's Cove Fun Park all the way up to the Charleston National Area -- no stop lights and a great quick drive.

On Wando HS: Our son is at Charleston County School of the Arts in 8th grade. He has a choice between Wando and SOA for next year and is going to Wando. It's a bigger school but offers so many different course options for him to explore his interests. The staff there has been tremendous in answering our questions and concerns about the transition. He's looking forward to pre-engineering and drama classes. They also offer entrepreneurship courses (similar to Junior Achievement) and have a really cool 3-dimensional printer - the school is almost new and is up to snuff with techology for today's world. The facility is large but they compartmentalize the freshman and it feels smaller. They also have clubs and activities for almost any interest. Here's a link to their clubs/activities: Clubs and Organizations (http://www.wandohigh.com/clubs.htm - broken link)

Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
Nature Mom;
Perhaps you mean 'Old Village'?
Good choice, but hard to come by. Right now there are 2 rentals and they go for around $1600.
jim

Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,833 times
Thumbs up New to Charleston Aug2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastali View Post
We'll be relocating soon, and have a sophomore and junior. I think I'm more nervous than they are.
I am so glad I found this website and hope to get some feedback since your message was from August 2007. Long story short, my relocation to SC was never planned. I had lived Redmond, WA (Seattles' eastside)for almost 12 yrs. When my daughter was born we lived in the Florida Keys with my two sons' from previous marriage (I was a widow) they are only 1yr apart, one was out of HS, the younger was a senior. They both moved on their own renting in Miami and visiting quite often. I come from a large Spanish-Cuban family and that's just part of our culture. My daughter was almost 2 when I visited Seattle for the first time, it was October and I fell in love with the Pacific Northwest, even though never planned to move there, but by Divine Intervention we moved there in Nov.1996-
I was divorced in 2005 and for many different reasons thought it was better to 'stick it out' there by myself, although I had acquired a small but fine group of church, friends, coworkers etc. but in general it was pretty tough and lonely. I was flying myself and daughter to
the East Coast 3-4 times a year. My youngest son, now 34 and mother moved to Myrtle Beach around the time of my divorce, but I just did not see much possibility of relocating, mainly because I had been working as a certified interpreter/translator as an independent contractor. Then last Christmas I flew into Charleston instead of MB and did a google search out of plain curiosity to find out that MUSC has one of the only and best Interpreter Services on this side of the US. Again, feeling adventurous and curious, filled out an online app and was hired to start 'inmediatly'.
The first and most important issue was breaking the news to my daughter for her to decide together with me if we should, could and really wanted such a challenging task. I had deadlines, she had practices...her father...but it was her who finally said 'yes, you go mom, you've worked so hard...'
Nothing has been easy, but there is a joy that comes from the struggles we accomplish just through plain faith at times. I almost backed out several times...
I have times were I feel guilty that she had the courage to leave her friends and the world as she knows it and I was feeling like this just wasn't going to work. I sold practically everything in less than 6 weeks. So if there is blind faith, this is it.
I lived in a private home downtown with sorority girls until my son's condo was finished, that in itself was a culture shock but loved the idea of being 5 minutes from work getting rides from coworkers and lots of taxis. Finally my car arrived just in time to move to West Ashley in mid May, school in Seattle goes until the end of June.
Then came the school and home search. We are so looking forward to moving to a small but incredible artsy townhouse in Old Mount Pleasant. We are just renting for one year so we can choose with more time to buy.
My daughter will be going into 10th. grade which in her school district would be the first year of HS. We visited James Island Charter and Wando during her Spring Break. I did my homework and believe Mount Pleasant is definetely were we'll feel most at home. Wando is a huge school...seems they have a great staff ...what has been your experience?
Do you drive or bus your children? I work downtown and our house is exactly almost the same distance to my job and to the school. We are looking to meet and make new friends with good family and Christian values.
My daughter arrives August 7th. and we plan on going to the Family Picnic.
I'd love to hear from anyone that's willing to welcome us and we'll do the same.
Alicia Amparo

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-02-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Please do not bold entire posts

Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 AM

160 posts, read 534,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Amparo View Post
I am so glad I found this website and hope to get some feedback since your message was from August 2007. Long story short, my relocation to SC was never planned. I had lived Redmond, WA (Seattles' eastside)for almost 12 yrs. When my daughter was born we lived in the Florida Keys with my two sons' from previous marriage (I was a widow) they are only 1yr apart, one was out of HS, the younger was a senior. They both moved on their own renting in Miami and visiting quite often. I come from a large Spanish-Cuban family and that's just part of our culture. My daughter was almost 2 when I visited Seattle for the first time, it was October and I fell in love with the Pacific Northwest, even though never planned to move there, but by Divine Intervention we moved there in Nov.1996-
I was divorced in 2005 and for many different reasons thought it was better to 'stick it out' there by myself, although I had acquired a small but fine group of church, friends, coworkers etc. but in general it was pretty tough and lonely. I was flying myself and daughter to
the East Coast 3-4 times a year. My youngest son, now 34 and mother moved to Myrtle Beach around the time of my divorce, but I just did not see much possibility of relocating, mainly because I had been working as a certified interpreter/translator as an independent contractor. Then last Christmas I flew into Charleston instead of MB and did a google search out of plain curiosity to find out that MUSC has one of the only and best Interpreter Services on this side of the US. Again, feeling adventurous and curious, filled out an online app and was hired to start 'inmediatly'.
The first and most important issue was breaking the news to my daughter for her to decide together with me if we should, could and really wanted such a challenging task. I had deadlines, she had practices...her father...but it was her who finally said 'yes, you go mom, you've worked so hard...'
Nothing has been easy, but there is a joy that comes from the struggles we accomplish just through plain faith at times. I almost backed out several times...
I have times were I feel guilty that she had the courage to leave her friends and the world as she knows it and I was feeling like this just wasn't going to work. I sold practically everything in less than 6 weeks. So if there is blind faith, this is it.
I lived in a private home downtown with sorority girls until my son's condo was finished, that in itself was a culture shock but loved the idea of being 5 minutes from work getting rides from coworkers and lots of taxis. Finally my car arrived just in time to move to West Ashley in mid May, school in Seattle goes until the end of June.
Then came the school and home search. We are so looking forward to moving to a small but incredible artsy townhouse in Old Mount Pleasant. We are just renting for one year so we can choose with more time to buy.
My daughter will be going into 10th. grade which in her school district would be the first year of HS. We visited James Island Charter and Wando during her Spring Break. I did my homework and believe Mount Pleasant is definetely were we'll feel most at home. Wando is a huge school...seems they have a great staff ...what has been your experience?
Do you drive or bus your children? I work downtown and our house is exactly almost the same distance to my job and to the school. We are looking to meet and make new friends with good family and Christian values.
My daughter arrives August 7th. and we plan on going to the Family Picnic.
I'd love to hear from anyone that's willing to welcome us and we'll do the same.
Alicia Amparo

We'll be arriving in Mt Pleasant shortly too, all the way from London UK. We have two daughters, aged 14 and 10. The younger one is very laid back and is not worried about the move, having moved internationally 3 times in the past 4 years due to my husband's job but the 14 year old one is slightly nervous about starting yet another new school. I don't think she would approve me setting her up with new friends but having someone to talk to would probably help. There's the Wando group in Facebook but being the little british that she is, she'd find it very "rude and impolite" to approach people that way LOL not to mention NOT so cool.
I'm sure it'll all work out at the end and the kids will love it there.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,949 times
As for location, I think the older area of Mt. Pleasant would have been more convenient. We chose Park West (temporarily) and wish we would have gotten a little closer to town center etc., although traffic IMO is not bad at all. I hear it gets much worse during school year though. We are closer to Wando H.S. which will be nice for my daughter, in fact there is now a road from the school that cuts thru Park West. Her friends tell her it takes them 2 hours to get home from school because of traffic.
BTW, I just found out about the short cut to the beach (road behind Super Walmart goes to Rifle Range).
Overall, I think it's pretty easy to get around here; I had to drive into N. Charleston and Summerville last week and that was another story - - I would not want to deal with the traffic there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area