Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM

14 posts, read 64,276 times

Advertisements

Planning a family move to Charleston.....possibly Mt Pleasant. We are originally from the West Coast- me Oregon and hubby San Francisco California. We are currently living in Boynton beach/ Boca Raton Florida. We are trying to move away from "big money" attitude. Has anyone experienced attitude or snobbery in or from Mt Pleasant????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemom View Post
"Me Oregon and hubby San Francisco California. We are currently living in Boynton beach/ Boca Raton Florida. We are trying to move away from "big money" attitude. Has anyone experienced attitude or snobbery in or from Mt Pleasant????
Ummm,
1. There are some snobs in MTP.
2. They can't hold a candle to some of the snobs in other areas around here.
That's a new money (MTP) vs Old Money thing. I'm sure you've seen it.
3. San Fran/Boca? You may not even notice our snobs compared to the one's you've had to endure.

I despise snobs. Give credit for one's accomplishments? You bet, MOST definitely. LOVE self made millionaires that care about other people.

We have them too. You just don't know it sitting next to them at the 'Tomato Shed'.

jim

Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,743 times
Let their words speak for themselves..... You will hear it in their posts throughout the Charleston threads, with comments like, "For a better class of people and homes, try Mt. Pleasant", "For the only good schools in the area, move your family to Mt. Pleasant (there is an elementary school on James Island which has a "10"/Superior rating and other "9"/above average, just as a few Mt. P. schools have), "the better shops are in Mt. Pleasant", etc. Mt. Pleasant posters have referred to the rest of Chas. County as "trashy", "run-down", etc.

The "Big Money" is actually downtown South of Broad, Kiawah Island, and Isle of Palms, but they don't tend to put others down like the ones climbing the social ladder and still insecure with their social status.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,779 times
A little harsh there on MTP SCBeaches, almost like a grudge to bear...
MTP has very good qualities for those that want that life.

Also, I'm thinking that the 'Big Money' is not represented on this thread and therefore have little to say on the subject.
jim

Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,743 times
Not really. Having lived here for 24 years, I've heard it over and over again. I have many friends who live in Mt. Pleasant and most of them will also say that they (Mt. Pleasanters), all think of themselves as a cut above the rest of the county....they actually talk about "seceeding", esp. the school district. Now, we laugh about it, joke and make tongue-in-cheek remarks to one another, but it is there, a true snobbishness. My aunt lived there before she moved back down to Beaufort and she could not believe some of the comments she heard made at dinner parties about how some of them felt about people from James Island, West Ashley, Johns Island, etc. It's there, Jim, trust me. Now, I'm not referring to the old-timers who have lived there for 20 + years or even generations - it's many of the newer ones who moved there for the "prestige" of living in "Mt. Pleasant"...again, I reiterate, not ALL. There are many down-to-earth, non-pretentious people who happen to live in Mt. Pleasant.

No grudge to bear here...I love where I live and think that each area of the Lowcountry has its unique qualities and charm, including Mt. Pleasant.

I am just verifying to the OP that there IS that attitude in MP....this coming from someone who has lived here in the Lowcountry for many years and am actively involved in many aspects of the community.

Naturemom, refer to the thread "Paces Watch vs. Runway Bay vs James Island" and read the posts for a small sample of the attitude I am referring to.

Last edited by SCBeaches; 01-22-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM

272 posts, read 908,896 times
Mt. Pleasant is very much like Boca. I was surprised to see that. I moved to Summerville from Boca, and Mt. Pleasant was like going back.

Edited to add: I have a Summerville postal address, but live in Wescott Plantation which is technically North Charleston. I think half of South Florida moved here.

Last edited by flgrammie; 01-22-2008 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
I don't live in Cton (yet) but spent some time looking around this summer. One area we really liked is MTP (Rivertowne and Dunes West).
Where we live currently, we're considered yuppies, so it's probably not a surprise we'd be attracted to a place like MtP.
Birds of a feather......what we will be looking for when we move down there will be people similar to us. Younger professional families, who have nice homes, take care of their properties, raise their kids well, etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,874 times
I've had several experiences with rudeness when in Mount Pleasant but the worst experience was the Realtor that we used from there when we first came here looking for a home. To us she was the true representation of what the people in Mount Pleasant were really like. She drove a Jaguar and told my kids to not walk in the grass at any of the homes so it wouldn't get her car dirty. The next day when we met her again and got in her car we all had towels underneath our feet. When we couldn't find a home to accommodate our daughters furniture she told us she was spoiled and we needed to sell it. We would go in homes to look and she would lay on the mater bed and say how tired she was. She would give loud yawns in the car like we were boring her. When we weren't finding anything to our liking in Mount Pleasant I asked her about the homes out in Summerville. Her reply: "You don't want to live with all the rednecks do you?" One day we drove 4 hours to look at a specific home, when we got to Mount Pleasant the home was already under contract. When I asked her to take us to see more homes she told me that she would print them out for me, but she wasn't going to take me. I fired her and walked out. Hired a Realtor out in Summerville 2 days later and had the most enjoyable, friendly and professional house finding experience ever. Jana rocks.

Last edited by scjj; 01-23-2008 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 47,363 times
Default Hoping I misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I don't live in Cton (yet) but spent some time looking around this summer. One area we really liked is MTP (Rivertowne and Dunes West).
Where we live currently, we're considered yuppies, so it's probably not a surprise we'd be attracted to a place like MtP.
Birds of a feather......what we will be looking for when we move down there will be people similar to us. Younger professional families, who have nice homes, take care of their properties, raise their kids well, etc.
Lenniel....lenniel...liennel... I hope I misunderstood your post about "yuppies" having nice homes, taking care of them and raising your children right as if the rest of us..."hard working, law abiding citizens" do not???? Hummm maybe you should do some research on how many of these "yuppie's" children are out there breaking the law the only difference is that the parents have to finances to "cover them up".
Just some examples:

Seven Wando high school students plead guilty in robbery spree

CHARLESTON, SC (AP) - Seven current or former Wando High School students have pleaded guilty for their roles in a robbery spree last year in which 10 students were charged.
Six of the teens accepted plea offers on charges of conspiracy to commit armed robbery and accessory after the fact of armed robbery.
The seventh pleaded guilty to one count of accessory after the fact of armed robbery.
Prosecutors say a group of teens robbed a grocery store, stole a BMW and held up a sandwich shop at gunpoint in August 2006.
Last week, a former Wando football player was the first to accept a deal in the supermarket plot. Samuel Perez pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit armed robbery and accessory after the fact of armed robbery.
Two others are facing more other armed robbery charges.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Wando High is in MP

* Mount Pleasant Police Ticket Fixing - Mount Pleasant police probing ticket-fixing

*Soccer fight victim nurses injuries, wants justice. - Soccer fight victim nurses injuries, wants justice

These examples are not to put down MP they are just to point out that location and money does NOT raise good children. PARENTS do. I know alot of them that are "middle class Americans" and have children grow to be wonderful adults.
BTW - it is CHARLESTON not Cton

Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,636 times
Oh BROTHER!!!! THERE IS SNOBBERY EVERYWHERE!! Good GRIEF!

Honestly people get over it!! I have seen this topic here many times.

I also moved here from South Florida. People are people and there are snobs and rich people in all parts of Summerville, West Ashely, James Island, Johns Island, IOP, Daniel Island, Downtown Charleston, etc.

It's not an epidemic in Mount Pleasant or anywhere. You meet people and you choose who you want to associate with. I have moved around my whole life so I learned a long time ago.... There are good and bad people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area