Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times

Advertisements

It is on the calender as a hurricane makeup day......

They school board didn't make the call the superintendent did, they didn't even notify the board until after the word went out to the public at 9pm.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,640,452 times
You would think that the Federal government was involved with the Charleston county schools.......
Man they can do some dumb things...............

O yeah,,,can some body call the weather service and tell them that the storm is past South Carolina and there is no need to scare the elderly with there weather alerts..........There worse that Jim Cantorie.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I understand the closing of schools... It's not that bad, but what do you do if a school loses power? I know some people that lost power in their neighborhood for hours. Also flooding in Tue bad flooding areas is bad.

Berkley did it right.... I am sure a lot of students did show up, kept the kids out of any issue... Yet they don't have to do a makeup day.

For schools remember all it takes is the potential of a lawsuit to scare them.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Of course the full board never maeks the decision with regards to closing schools in emergencies of any kind -- the superintendent always makes that call. Of course it is better to err on the side of caution when you have kids' at risk. Of course if they had not canceled schools and there had been massive power outages or flooding we would all be fussing....

As for the make up day -- I do know that it is a make up day -- but there is nothing that says they have to use the first make up day in the calendar -- they can pick and choose as the want.....They can even waive it if they choose.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
Berkeley County had early dismissal and I think it was a good decision. In hindsight, we probably didn't need it but it was impossible to tell that we'd get so many breaks...it could have gone either way.

I don't think 1/2 days require make-up days but I was noticing Berkeley County has a winter break from Dec 9-Jan 3! That is a LONG winter break, if they didn't make a mistake on the district calendar.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM

65 posts, read 174,073 times
My husband and I just left Charleston this morning as we were there on vacation, and I was definately freaked out about the hurricane!! I had people texting and facebooking me all week long telling me to get out of there. We heard that there were some power outages and minor damage in Mt. Pleasant this morning so I hope that everyone is ok and that you all will not get any more bad weather from this.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM

222 posts, read 404,015 times
Just checking on you guys, as it looks like you're getting heavy waves and rain now. At least TV makes it look that way.

I was working in Jacksonville, NC all week and ran like hell this morning.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
It's mainly over here in Mount Pleasant -- some wind, some more rain but we are done.....good luck to NC -- it will be a different story for them. That area has got to be hurricane alley.......hoping Irene gets downgraded before hitting NYC

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM

222 posts, read 404,015 times
As a life long resident of New Orleans, I'm torn on how I feel about the north east. A lot of insensitive and ignorant commmentary from folks who thought they would never see a hurricane like Katrina or Rita. Good luck to them all if this thing is even stil category 1 when it hits the north east.

And thanks so much for the updates! Not even power outages or flood waters in Mt.P/Sullivan's?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
As a life long resident of New Orleans, I'm torn on how I feel about the north east. A lot of insensitive and ignorant commmentary from folks who thought they would never see a hurricane like Katrina or Rita. Good luck to them all if this thing is even stil category 1 when it hits the north east.

And thanks so much for the updates! Not even power outages or flood waters in Mt.P/Sullivan's?
I live in Mt. P and didn't lose any power. It rained in my area in the morning, early afternoon, and then very late at night, but nothing heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area