Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times

Advertisements

I agree on nice places with nice people but humor is humor and many fail to realize that especially when it hits home.

The reason I'On is spelled that way is because Pretentious is to hard to spell!

Funny....Yes or No

Bit of truth....Yes or No

Out of line....Yes or No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 AM

119 posts, read 301,551 times
Ok seriously, everybody just stand down.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,822 times
Nice you chimed in and stated all that.
I am not being sarcastic, I am sincere. It was nice you came back with that, thanks. Nothing to aplogize for, you did not intend anything, just stated what you were curious about the wrong way. Though overall people are people, whether they live in MP, Summerville, Daniel Island etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2B View Post
Wow!
Ok, this has gone WAY off in a direction that I never intended.
For those of you who found my original post request offensive I apologize.
For those of you who warned that it might be an inflammatory request... well, I guess you are right, and for that I also apologize.

Let's just end this here folks.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I agree on nice places with nice people but humor is humor and many fail to realize that especially when it hits home.

The reason I'On is spelled that way is because Pretentious is to hard to spell!

Funny....Yes or No

Bit of truth....Yes or No (could be true for a percentage of residents, but what neighborhood doesn't have at least one person who doesn't try to give that impression?)

Out of line....Yes or No (eh, don't really care right now)
Actually, I'on is spelled that way because the development is named after Jacob Bond I'On. He was the first mayor of Sullivan's Island and is burried in the family plot within the I'On community.

I know that takes all the fun out of the joke floating around, but it is an interesting piece of history I came up with and thought to share.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM

315 posts, read 623,660 times
Mount Pleasant is fun to make fun of. The people there, not all, but many, have placed themselves on such a high pedastal, and then have the attitude of "How dare you make fun of us, we are not like that" when in fact, oh so many Charlestonians will describe Mt P exactly that way.

Like the quote from the movie Dodgeball: "Because here at Globogym (Mount Pleasant), we're better than you......and we know it!"

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM

315 posts, read 623,660 times
And just like Dunes West is code for "Whose Best?". Little Mt P joke on DW folks.

But the absolute FUNNIEST are the pasty white suburban kids in Mt P who literally have tried to form actual gangs!!! A friend of my roommate is a MtP cop and he and a coworker came over for a BBQ. They talked about these white kids that made the "Park West Posse" and the "Old Village Crew" and some other ones that were "gangs" of Mt P from the suburbs. HILARIOUS!!! Not as a joke either, they really thought they were "hard" and did crazy crimes like.....steal a soda from Wal Mart!!!

And meanwhile, the real crimes in Mt P go unnoticed, and the actual poor run down areas of Mt P are denied, as if they dont exist.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
If someone has to tell me their jokes are funny..well let's just say -- not funny enough. <G>.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,970 times
I don't understand the almost desperate need to keep this "joke" going?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
And just like Dunes West is code for "Whose Best?". Little Mt P joke on DW folks.

But the absolute FUNNIEST are the pasty white suburban kids in Mt P who literally have tried to form actual gangs!!! A friend of my roommate is a MtP cop and he and a coworker came over for a BBQ. They talked about these white kids that made the "Park West Posse" and the "Old Village Crew" and some other ones that were "gangs" of Mt P from the suburbs. HILARIOUS!!! Not as a joke either, they really thought they were "hard" and did crazy crimes like.....steal a soda from Wal Mart!!!

And meanwhile, the real crimes in Mt P go unnoticed, and the actual poor run down areas of Mt P are denied, as if they dont exist.
Are they the ones that tagged up the street signs on Coleman just south of Patriots Point? (near the place where it looks like someone drove a car through a brick wall)

Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I grew up in a very wealthy part of a suburb outside of Toronto. I would hear people say how snotty people were in that community. When I told folks I was from that area they would say -- 'oh but you aren't like those folks'. So I'd ask who else they knew from that area... 'um....um.....I've just heard"....Okay I get it now.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area