Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 AM

8 posts, read 23,788 times

Advertisements

Hello, Fellow Pet Lovers,
We moved from NE Ohio to the Grand Strand 2-1/2 years ago with four cats. It was an 11 hour trip. Each cat was put in a carrier with a familiar blanket. We played quiet, classical music on the CD player as we frequently do at home. We took turns driving so that we could make the trip in one day. Our vet gave us low dose tranquilizers to give each cat. They were completely awake, but a little more relaxed. It all went very well. It sounds a little harsh, but our vet also suggested that we withhold food for 6 hours before leaving and to give just small drinks of water. He said that many cats get car sick, and they get upset if they throw up in their crate. It's kind of like the routine before they have surgery. We put the crates in the master bedroom, set up a litter pan-food-water and shut the door. The cats came out of their hide-aways on their own terms, and we were able to carry in stuff from the car without worrying about somebody getting loose! After an hour we opened the bedroom door and they came out to explore. Hope some of these ideas help--I was so nervous about moving my babies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestonbound View Post
Hello, Fellow Pet Lovers,
We moved from NE Ohio to the Grand Strand 2-1/2 years ago with four cats. It was an 11 hour trip. Each cat was put in a carrier with a familiar blanket. We played quiet, classical music on the CD player as we frequently do at home. We took turns driving so that we could make the trip in one day. Our vet gave us low dose tranquilizers to give each cat. They were completely awake, but a little more relaxed. It all went very well. It sounds a little harsh, but our vet also suggested that we withhold food for 6 hours before leaving and to give just small drinks of water. He said that many cats get car sick, and they get upset if they throw up in their crate. It's kind of like the routine before they have surgery. We put the crates in the master bedroom, set up a litter pan-food-water and shut the door. The cats came out of their hide-aways on their own terms, and we were able to carry in stuff from the car without worrying about somebody getting loose! After an hour we opened the bedroom door and they came out to explore. Hope some of these ideas help--I was so nervous about moving my babies!
Withholding food doesn't sound harsh. Fasting once in a while is healthful. It gives the digestive tract a chance to rest and rejuvenate.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Can't wait to see the "5 things Cats and dogs hate about Charleston" thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,361 times
we came down with our two dogs and three cats...and everyone is adjusting fine. i am curious how the dogs will do in heat, but luckily the house is central a/c. seems like most things down here are. but most people seem to have pets here also...definatly a pet friendly area i would say.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Without reading this entire thread (only read the title)...I'll say this:

They are animals...they'll be fine.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
what about snakes and letting dogs run off leash in charleston?

Old 01-31-2018, 05:21 PM

355 posts, read 390,805 times
Stumbled on this thread. My dog never gotten used to Charleston. One late night he ran to I95N and never returned

Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
Stumbled on this thread. My dog never gotten used to Charleston. One late night he ran to I95N and never returned

He ran the 55 miles from Charleston to I 95 ?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Ive got two Golden Retrievers that are heavily coated..... spent half their lives in Ct and VT ....they never had a problem adjusting to Charlestons weather ... tho I do have them sheared in may and again clipped in late july ... not so much because of the heat ... but they love to jump off the boat or into the surf .... and given their coats ... tend to sink ...cant tell you how many times weve had to jump in after them off the boat ... grab them ...and they weigh a ton sopping wet to get them back on board ..lol

In the more rural areas folks have been having problems with Coyotes.... so small pets need to be watched or fenced in. There are plenty of dog parks throughout the metro .... use them off leash for exercise and socialization. It seems Charleston is dog crazy...everybody I know has at least one...

Old 02-01-2018, 05:50 AM

355 posts, read 390,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
He ran the 55 miles from Charleston to I 95 ?
He is a Greyhound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area