Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times

Advertisements

Coastal -- you really need to get out and enjoy this fine country. If you think there are a high percentage of SUV's in Mt. Pleasant -- you will be shocked to see what the rest of the USA is like. Mt. Pleasant has relatively fewer of those SUV's.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 PM

And to say we are 'defensive' about Mt. Pleasant -- is kind of like criticizing someone for flinching after you have kicked them 20 or 30 times.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,184,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Coastalbum: I get it; I see it. In fact, I was on Azalea today explaining to a newcomer how social services fit the neighborhood. Yes, there's the hood in Chastown. But know that lower income existence doesn't need to be insulted. The honest working poor get insulted enough. And they live in the hood cause that is what they can afford. You know it.

When we CD'ers respond to those looking to relocate here, we're assuming that such people come with the means to have a choice in their location. We're not hiding the disparity of income & the different levels of comfort in a neighborhood or town. Mt P has many people just scraping by (read James Carter's reason for creating ECCO in 1990). And yes, the "hood" hides ugly people among decent working/surviving poor. Dirt road off of Venning ...what do you expect from a street that bears the name "Labor Camp Road"? Just people living their lives.

And Robynn, if you want to see hoods, lets tour together -- but during the daylight (being reasonable here) . They're just another part of my community. I find that the people wave, and if I wave back & keep going, we all live and let live ... to go on to do right or wrong the next day. And so it goes...
Joy, I've written 3 responses to the original post but couldn't quite articulate what I was trying to say so I never posted. You hit the nail on the head. Some of my fondest childhood memories was when my family lived in a trailer-park. Financially, my husband and I are much more fortunate than my family was during my childhood years but I hate how some look down on poor people. MOST are law-abiding citizens just trying to get by and not criminals. They don't have diseases and you can live near them without catching "poor". I'm much more concerned about high-crime areas than "poor" areas.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,943,103 times
Quote:
Coastalbum: I get it; I see it. In fact, I was on Azalea today explaining to a newcomer how social services fit the neighborhood. Yes, there's the hood in Chastown. But know that lower income existence doesn't need to be insulted. The honest working poor get insulted enough. And they live in the hood cause that is what they can afford. You know it.

When we CD'ers respond to those looking to relocate here, we're assuming that such people come with the means to have a choice in their location. We're not hiding the disparity of income & the different levels of comfort in a neighborhood or town. Mt P has many people just scraping by (read James Carter's reason for creating ECCO in 1990). And yes, the "hood" hides ugly people among decent working/surviving poor. Dirt road off of Venning ...what do you expect from a street that bears the name "Labor Camp Road"? Just people living their lives.

And Robynn, if you want to see hoods, lets tour together -- but during the daylight (being reasonable here) . They're just another part of my community. I find that the people wave, and if I wave back & keep going, we all live and let live ... to go on to do right or wrong the next day. And so it goes...
I missed this somehow. Very well put, thank you

Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,439 times
Quote:

Very well said.

I have actually been on Labor Camp Road many times. When a man that worked with my other half didn't have a way to get to work because his car broke down, I would go pick him up. Even at night. We have never had any issues on that road, or in the area. They were just people trying to get by the best they can. Now the place with the blue building on Venning, I won't go in that area at night!

Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,384 times
MINI,
You're talking about the "East Cooper Disco" ... that blue building on Venning .. we joke about going there all the time! It'd be like that scene in the Blues Brothers where they play in the redneck place ... not a match!
There have been some incidents there & a wild bullet or 2 at 3 am. Not good to be driving around there then for sure.
SPROUTS,
Yes, that's the distinction we need to keep in mind: criminal vs. economically depressed areas, too often with no geographic distinction.
Peace.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,439 times
Quote:
MINI,
You're talking about the "East Cooper Disco" ... that blue building on Venning .. we joke about going there all the time! It'd be like that scene in the Blues Brothers where they play in the redneck place ... not a match!
There have been some incidents there & a wild bullet or 2 at 3 am. Not good to be driving around there then for sure.
SPROUTS,
Yes, that's the distinction we need to keep in mind: criminal vs. economically depressed areas, too often with no geographic distinction.
Peace.
I think it is the disco place. I see on the sign all the time which DJ is playing that night.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,440,369 times
Thank you all for the replies. I want everyone to know I do not look down on the poor. I actually give to different agencies, and I particularly like and respect the low country food bank here in Charleston. I help people when I can, and am thankful for my blessings.
I started this thread more on a safety issue, about brand new or nice neighborhoods built right next to 'da hood' or a high crime area. So, I should differentiate between an older, poorer neighborhood, and a poor neighborhood with a lot of crime and violent crimes.
This is more of what I am speaking about. I know more about crime from what I studied and where I worked in life.
I just have not seen a city with such a mix of very nice areas in such close proximity to a wealthy area with brand new housing.

Good to see you all in the Mt. Pleasant crowd have recognized some areas where you would never go at night. Are there any brand new , nice neighborhoods, near the East Cooper Disco where there have been shootings?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM

When was the last shooting there? I live about five minutes away and have never heard a gun shot. You seem to be in the know.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,680,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I just have not seen a city with such a mix of very nice areas in such close proximity to a wealthy area with brand new housing.
This is actually one thing I can agree with you about. I have also never lived anywhere that had such a mix of economic levels in such close proximity.
My boys do a lot of volunteer work for habitat for humanity, and the last three houses they helped with were all a stones throw from I'on.

In my mind it seems like a good thing in that the poor are probably not being shoved out of their communities to make room for more upscale housing.
Personally, I really like the mix. My children have always attended school where everyone is pretty much the same. Same color, same religion, same socioeconomic level. At Wando they are exposed to the wealthy and the poor. I think it's very good for them to see how the real world actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area