Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,445,483 times

Advertisements

Charleston has nice neighborhoods all over, and many of them border the hood, or a very run down area. Some very nice neighborhoods or streets with new houses are built right smack next to a street you would not walk down at night alone. What is up with this? There is a great example of this on James Island , which is famous for what I am talking about. Terrabrook on James island is like this. It is quite sad. An enormous fence is built around the new homes, with the outer homes run down, older, and quite poor, some are abandoned even.
What is the reason for this? It seems you have to go out to Carolina Bay , or Bees Ferry to get out from this. It is even like this in snotty Mt. Pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 AM

152 posts, read 322,793 times
Yep, it is indeed like that in Mt P. Mt P has for decades tried to hide their handful of bad neighborhoods, pretend they dont exist.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks Gcreek, yep, Off Venning road , part of the Old Villiage, Parts off Long Point Road, Bad places in Mt. P, that remain hidden.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,682,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Thanks Gcreek, yep, Off Venning road , part of the Old Villiage, Parts off Long Point Road, Bad places in Mt. P, that remain hidden.
You guys are like a skipping record.

They 'remain hidden" exactly how?? There aren't giant walls circling the neighborhoods. Is there some kind of cloak of invisibility that the city has draped over these neighborhoods?
I know, you are just frustrated because the city hasn't erected giant neon arrow signs that say "this way to the scary part of town", right? Or did the city bring in giant cranes and plant those hundred + year old oaks in a deliberate effort to conceal the less desirable sections of town?

Give me a break. The residents of Mount Pleasant are all perfectly aware that there are some rougher sections of town.
The reverse snobbery is getting kind of sad.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,598,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Yep, it is indeed like that in Mt P. Mt P has for decades tried to hide their handful of bad neighborhoods, pretend they dont exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post

How do you two know about these bad neighborhoods? Was it from living in Mount Pleasant, or did you just hear it from someone?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
Hey Coastal - you missed this discussion a few months back. And you know what -- all of us MP residents knew all the areas someone thought we didn't know about. Can you imagine that -- we know about them, acknowledge they exist and don't pretend they aren't there...and yet some of you that don't live in MP keep telling us we don't know about them or pretend then don't exist. Hey we also know that there is crime in Mt. Pleasant... OMG -- can you imagine we know and we still choose to live here.

Thing is -- I've lived in 3 countries, two states, two provinces, a few parishes, cities, towns, and everywhere I have lived right next to the nice areas, some not so nice areas. The world is funny like that.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,685,516 times
Saying da hood or bad neighborhoods is a bit unfair. Lower income nerighborhoods is fairer. Lower income people always did live away form the more plush neighborhoods but the the more plush neighborhoods started building out further as that was were the less expensive land was and where mnay lower income/country folks lived.

Quite often you will have to drive through some lower income, shabby looking areas (sections of Rte 41, sections of Rifle Range Road in MTP) to get to the plusher meighborhoods. This is quite common as thsoe area were rural and lower income.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 AM

662 posts, read 1,413,124 times
Also, zoning rules have changed. Look at the mobile home parks dotting the whole area.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hey Coastal - you missed this discussion a few months back. And you know what -- all of us MP residents knew all the areas someone thought we didn't know about. Can you imagine that -- we know about them, acknowledge they exist and don't pretend they aren't there...and yet some of you that don't live in MP keep telling us we don't know about them or pretend then don't exist. Hey we also know that there is crime in Mt. Pleasant... OMG -- can you imagine we know and we still choose to live here.

Thing is -- I've lived in 3 countries, two states, two provinces, a few parishes, cities, towns, and everywhere I have lived right next to the nice areas, some not so nice areas. The world is funny like that.
I know man, no big deal. I am talking about all of Charleston , not just little Mt. Pleasant.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
How do you two know about these bad neighborhoods? Was it from living in Mount Pleasant, or did you just hear it from someone?
Yea Mini,
We have lived here many years. This is how we know about the areas in Charleston. I lived in Mt. Pleasant for 3 years, and preferred to move to another part of Charleston that I like more than Mt. Pleasant. I am talking about all of Charleston in this thread not just Mt. Pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area