Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually, I think what you're describing is seen in most Southern towns, especially those with any history. Ever been to New Orleans? It's even worse. You can be on one block in the Garden District and be in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city. Go up one block to Carrollton and you can be in the worst in the city.

You can even find this in small Southern towns. You would have the 'Main' street area with huge beautiful houses and then right behind it, you have a much poorer neighborhood. There's actually a historical reason for this. For many years up through the 1960s, blacks had little opportunity for work and less opportunity for education. White families, even at a middle income level, would often have black housekeepers, nannies, etc. The proximity to the 'big' houses was so they could be close to work.

Also, you can go in some Southern towns that have a clear divide between one side and the other, usually divided by the railroad tracks. The old saying 'the wrong side of the tracks' actually has a true historical reason behind it.

Now, here in Mt Pleasant, this was a very small fishing village that was largely composed of the Old Village area. Once upon a time, Snee Farm Country Club used to be 'way out' in the country. The remaining Gullah that have generations of families in this area lived in places like Snowden, Six Mile, etc. In fact, Jennie Moore, back before integration, was a black school. As the town has grown, it has grown around and often through these historically Gullah communities. The Gullah are quickly disappearing from these communities as the developers offer them more and more money to build these huge planned neighborhoods in areas they once lived for over a hundred years.

I will say this. Once it's gone, it's gone. The Gullah have a rich tradition in the Lowcountry and I, for one, would be sad to see them pushed out in favor of yet another tract built neighborhood. For example, did you know that the Gullah are protected by our own state's legislature and are the only people still allowed to cut wild sweetgrass? Those sweetgrass structures that dot Hwy 17 are also protected. I would encourage people as they move down here to learn the history of the area. Talk to some old timers. You might be surprised what you learn.
Thank you Southbel for the very informative explanation. This is an answer that answers my question. I see this is all around the southeast. I think this is sad like you said, and it is even worse when a fence is raised around the new community (like Terrabrook on James Island).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I am about a the same distance, but on the other side of 17, and have never heard a gun shot either.

The Mt. Pleasant police reports are open to anyone that wants to go look through them. The editor from the Patch goes to the police station pretty regularly to look through the reports to get stories. Maybe some of these people that say the police are "hiding crime" should go look through the logs and reports. The chief's door is always open to the citizens, anyone can go talk to him too and ask about the so-called hidden crimes.

Anyways, back to the topic, I found it odd when I first moved to the area that there are big beautiful houses that are across the street or next to some areas that some would consider sketchy.
Off topic (but couldn't help myself) ...

... so wait ... you are saying that a police department that might be trying to HIDE crimes are actually going to keep hard copy records of said crimes? And the chief of said police department is willing to talk about the crimes they are hiding?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,957 times
No that is not what she's saying. The point being made was "some" people on this board enjoy saying that the MtP Police Dept. (and I guess the various news agencies as well) hide the area crime to make the town appear nice & clean.

Now I don't know how a PD would be able to hide crime, and I especially don't know why any news agency wouldn't report stories...much less every news agency in the area.

Coop was just stating that anyone who thinks crimes are hidden (they aren't) can simply do their own research and even speak to the Chief if they would like. This won't happen because these folks enjoy being able to make unfounded statements like this as well as how the town hides it's lower income citizens.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Any piece of land in Mt Pleasant inside IOP and especially 526 would not have had any discount in the last 10-15 years regardless of neighbor. Take a look at a couple of the neighborhoods off Mathis Ferry- which is ground zero for yuppie home purchasing. Location definitely trumps adjacency in those areas. Similarly when they first developped Dunes West (which seemed like the other side of the Earth) the drive out there was what could genteelly be described as typical rural South.

I grew up in a Southern town and to be honest my impression of 'the hood' is pretty much that it is much more diverse than can be appreciated in a 5 minute drive through. Some of those areas are still very functional in terms of being community, having long term families and group activities. And I'd prefer that to any soulless cul de sac with vinyl sided tract homes any day of the week. My personal preference which I in no way expect others to agree with.

When I first moved to town West Ashley still had the last remnants of a tribish flavor to its neighborhoods- Jewish neighborhoods, black working class, black middle class, old Charleston moved to the suburbs, newly middle class, professional middle class, Greek, etc. Now that has pretty much faded away although a few neighborhoods hold onto the final vestiges. But it is rather interesting to see how people with common characteristic function in neighborhoods. I lived in Mt P for about 8 years and now am in close in West Ashley- our common characteristic is an overabundance of Volvos and Suburus. And an unusually high number of UGA grads- talk about ghetto.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
No that is not what she's saying. The point being made was "some" people on this board enjoy saying that the MtP Police Dept. (and I guess the various news agencies as well) hide the area crime to make the town appear nice & clean.

Now I don't know how a PD would be able to hide crime, and I especially don't know why any news agency wouldn't report stories...much less every news agency in the area.

Coop was just stating that anyone who thinks crimes are hidden (they aren't) can simply do their own research and even speak to the Chief if they would like. This won't happen because these folks enjoy being able to make unfounded statements like this as well as how the town hides it's lower income citizens.
AAAAAAAAAND again ... there's nothing to 'research' if the police are hiding crime.

There's no report on 'I took suspect out to the woods and kicked him in the groin and informed him next time he wouldn't leave the woods'

... or '.. pulled over car for outdated tags and swerving. Driver was not only drunk beyond belief, but also a town councilman.' I'm sure that officer (who mind you, is intent on hiding crimes) took crime scene photos and video as well as a lengthy detailed written reports and made sure they were filed for everyone to see.

etc etc

It is not unheard of for such things to occur and NOT be recorded in public record (or any other report).

I'm not sayin that I necessarily think the MtP PD or any other area PD is hiding crimes ... but to state that it CAN'T happen or DOESN'T happen just because one has access to police reports and the chief is just silly.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Any piece of land in Mt Pleasant inside IOP and especially 526 would not have had any discount in the last 10-15 years regardless of neighbor. Take a look at a couple of the neighborhoods off Mathis Ferry- which is ground zero for yuppie home purchasing. Location definitely trumps adjacency in those areas. Similarly when they first developped Dunes West (which seemed like the other side of the Earth) the drive out there was what could genteelly be described as typical rural South. ......
And you would be mistaken.

As I said, I have first-hand knowledge of people purchasing property (in that area) at a deeply discounted rate in the last 10 years because of lack luster neighboring communities, property and development.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,071 times
Default East Cooper disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When was the last shooting there? I live about five minutes away and have never heard a gun shot. You seem to be in the know.
June 27, 2012

http://mountpleasant-sc.patch.com/ar...ekend-shooting

Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
AAAAAAAAAND again ... there's nothing to 'research' if the police are hiding crime.

There's no report on 'I took suspect out to the woods and kicked him in the groin and informed him next time he wouldn't leave the woods'

... or '.. pulled over car for outdated tags and swerving. Driver was not only drunk beyond belief, but also a town councilman.' I'm sure that officer (who mind you, is intent on hiding crimes) took crime scene photos and video as well as a lengthy detailed written reports and made sure they were filed for everyone to see.

etc etc

It is not unheard of for such things to occur and NOT be recorded in public record (or any other report).

I'm not sayin that I necessarily think the MtP PD or any other area PD is hiding crimes ... but to state that it CAN'T happen or DOESN'T happen just because one has access to police reports and the chief is just silly.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Nice reply with no counter.

I'll take that as you resigning the discussion and admitting that you KNOW that if a police department were covering up crimes there would be no reports to read.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Nice reply with no counter.

I'll take that as you resigning the discussion and admitting that you KNOW that if a police department were covering up crimes there would be no reports to read.
No need for a counter. This is a silly conversation. We may as well be discussing politics because we would end up with the same results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area