Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 PM

19 posts, read 56,141 times

Advertisements

Hi SC Community, my husband and I are going to be moving to the Charleston area in a couple of years.. we have an 18 month old and I am pregnant with #2, due in a couple months, our kids will be about 2 and 3 by the time we get there.. I know this is super early planning but I have been struggling to find anything current and thorough as far as finding a good place to live.

We ideally would like to be somewhat nearby (walkable) to parks, shopping and not too far of a commute for my husband from Boeing, and not too far from the beach, also we must be in a good school district, we are not going the private route, so this is pretty important.

My husband likes the idea of a planned community that has a pool and rec center in it, that would be nice, but not necessary if those amenities were available in the local community.

So far I am looking at Mt Pleasant, North Charleston just south of Summerville (in the Dorchester II district), James Island and the newest one was West Ashley, location wise (proximity to Downtown and Boeing and Beaches) it looks pretty awesome, although I am not convinced that is a good area for good schools..

Any guidance and advice would be amazing. We have both never visited SC and plan to in the next year or so to get the lay of the land, but for now, maybe you can help steer me in the right direction for our visit, what neighborhoods should we absolutely check out?

THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
You should post in the Charleston sub-forum if you haven't already - you will get more responses...

Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM

16 posts, read 28,626 times
Mount Pleasant without a doubt. Park West likely has everything you would be looking for with exception to close proximity to Boeing. But even then, it's about 30 minute drive...

Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
^Says the Mt. P realtor.

As a mom, I know schools are priority 1 on your list. I'd suggest Summerville. Best schools in the region (Dorchester II), much more affordable than Mt. P (You don't go to the beach or downtown every day...) and just as close to Boeing if not closer.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 56,141 times
Thanks 912, how is the area just south of Summerville, at the top part of North Charleston, still in the Dorchester II schools, is it community oriented?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
^Says the Mt. P realtor.

As a mom, I know schools are priority 1 on your list. I'd suggest Summerville. Best schools in the region (Dorchester II), much more affordable than Mt. P (You don't go to the beach or downtown every day...) and just as close to Boeing if not closer.
Not best schools. Best overall district. Best schools are still Mt P after Academic Magnet.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 22,914 times
Default Home for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2010 View Post
Hi SC Community, my husband and I are going to be moving to the Charleston area in a couple of years.. we have an 18 month old and I am pregnant with #2, due in a couple months, our kids will be about 2 and 3 by the time we get there.. I know this is super early planning but I have been struggling to find anything current and thorough as far as finding a good place to live.

We ideally would like to be somewhat nearby (walkable) to parks, shopping and not too far of a commute for my husband from Boeing, and not too far from the beach, also we must be in a good school district, we are not going the private route, so this is pretty important.

My husband likes the idea of a planned community that has a pool and rec center in it, that would be nice, but not necessary if those amenities were available in the local community.

So far I am looking at Mt Pleasant, North Charleston just south of Summerville (in the Dorchester II district), James Island and the newest one was West Ashley, location wise (proximity to Downtown and Boeing and Beaches) it looks pretty awesome, although I am not convinced that is a good area for good schools..

Any guidance and advice would be amazing. We have both never visited SC and plan to in the next year or so to get the lay of the land, but for now, maybe you can help steer me in the right direction for our visit, what neighborhoods should we absolutely check out?

THANK YOU!!!!!
I am relocating Back to Maryland and have a home for sale in Summerville. email me if interested or still looking. I can send you some pictures. ncweirich@yahoo.com

Last edited by im4given; 10-10-2013 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Add School District

Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM

I am relocating Back to Maryland and have a home for sale in Summerville. email me if interested or still looking. I can send you some pictures. ncweirich@yahoo.com

Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM

I am relocating Back to Maryland and have a home for sale in Summerville in Wescott Plantation. This is a great community and is in the Dorchester 2 school district. best schools in area email me if interested or still looking. I can send you some pictures. ncweirich@yahoo.com

Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,199 times
Mount Pleasant if you dont mind the beach traffic. Summerville is really nice as well, cant really go wrong with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area