Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charleston area South Carolina, changes in the city, public transportation options, improved bus or water taxi service, healthy living, politically correct, good government

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 AM

482 posts, read 280,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
With regard to environmental initiatives, SC has done a decent job. Charleston has the Coastal Conservation League, which is a fairly powerful organization. A lot of our environmental initiatives are related to wildlife, and range from the CCA, to Ducks Unlimited, to Sea Turtle programs, all of which are in the Charleston area. Nearly every river and water body has a "Friends of.." organization, devoted to environmental issues. Here's a list of environmental organizations in coastal SC:

South Carolina SC - Lowcountry Environmental, Conservation Organizations

As far as hate crime legislation and rent control are concerned, those are only "forward" if you are politically liberal. Not to get into a policy debate, but, I personally think those are two of the most backward types of legislation that I can think of.
I appreciate the link and info about conservation. I guess one of my concern was related to the overdevelopment of the shoreline that seems to be happening south of Charleston. I will definitely follow the link as soon as I have time.

As far as politics go a quote comes to mind: "the personal is the political". That said, stating things like rent control and hate crimes legislation are backwards is your American right to express your view and I do not take it personally. I simply expressed my opionion and you don't agree. Everybody has opinions and the beauty of this forum is that they can hopefully be expressed without personal attacks. I'd rather someone expressed an opposing view than kept their mouth shut about their own views.

I'm guessing there is a political forum somewhere here and in the future I should probably post such opinions there or start a Charleston Politics thread. I certainly would be interested in people's reasoning behind their opinions and am always open to rethinking my own position.

Again thanks and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 AM

482 posts, read 280,057 times
Default Sentences please

Not to be picky but some of these posts are hard to discern. Whole sentences and proper use of words would help. "No" means I don't want it and "know" means I understand. "There" is a place and "Their" means more than one's anything, e.g., his house, her house, their houses. As Anonymous states I can't even understand what some people are saying.

Hope I don't sound like a jerk but discussion requires a minimum of rudimentary writing skills and the ability to clearly express your views. Yes we all have typos but they should not be so prevalent that they interfere with interpretation.

As others have stated, I also would like to know EXACTLY what the original poster is looking for in this thread.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echobeach View Post
As someone planning a move to Charleston one of the main things that I see as problematic is the lack of public transport.
Yes there is a lack of good public transportation but I really don't see a rail system being put in. The Charleston and surrounding area's were not built for such a system. Some have said one could be built along I-26 but look at all of the adjustments, like homes and road construction, that would have to be made for such a system.

Quote:
Vis-a-vis the mayor: I have read a lot about this last election and part of the problem, besides entrenchment, is lack of a valid contender which contributes to the other problem of extremely low voter turnout...and as far as lowering crime the only thing I can discern from reading and driving around the Penisula and surrounding areas is that any crime downtown has simply been pushed north, thus there is the appearance of lower crime (don't want to scare the tourists!) but everyday the local paper presents us with atrocious gun-fights and drug-related crimes.
I agree a lot of it has been pushed north which is why N.Chas. gets a bad name.

Quote:
Any rapidly growing city has problems but Charleston seems overly focused on tourism and the historic district.

One more fear of Charleston's stasis: the general political backwardness. Things we take for granted in other (okay, mostly northern) cities - say hate crimes legislation, equal opportunity for all, rent-control, environmental initiatives do not seem to exist in South Carolina. If I am wrong please post and tell me. I mean, here one can't lose an apartment or job because they are gay but in Charleston there are no such protections...and Charleston would seem to be one of the most liberal and diverse parts of the state. Where are the local laws to protect everybody?

We are just keeping our fingers crossed that my spouse and I can find work in our fields.
Yes downtown Charleston is focused on tourism. I also believe a good bit of the south is behind in some of the major jobs with the exception of the larger cities such as Columbia, SC, Charlotte, NC, and Atlanta, GA.. Charleston is growing by leaps and bounds so I believe eventually we will get to where the larger cities are at now.

Charleston has a gay population and I've never heard of anyone losing their job or apartment because they are.

I don't understand, maybe it's because I've only lived here, why people would move to another state without having a job lined up first.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
I guess one of my concern was related to the overdevelopment of the shoreline that seems to be happening south of Charleston.
yeah, conservationists and developers have two different ideas about how much development it takes to be "overdeveloped."

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM

12 posts, read 28,099 times
I would like to apologize to everyone for starting this thread. I'm in the process of possibly moving to the area and was looking for a more accurate account of what this place is really about from the top - down. I visit all the time and my wife has fallen in love with this area. Before I put $$$$$$ down I wanted to dig a little deeper in what people really have to say about the area. Visitting there we always get the visitor treatment and I didn't want to ask the typical question "is this place a great place to live". Once again I apologize and hope you don't hold it against me. So go ahead and start the stone throwing .

Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM

123 posts, read 571,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Yes there is a lack of good public transportation but I really don't see a rail system being put in. The Charleston and surrounding area's were not built for such a system. Some have said one could be built along I-26 but look at all of the adjustments, like homes and road construction, that would have to be made for such a system.
A rail system probably won't be built because it would be very expensive. The only form of rail I see possible for the area might be a diesel powered commuter train from Summerville to downtown via existing freight track. I use this example due to its relative low cost in comparison to "sexier" modes of rail (LRTs, subways, monorails, etc.). It would be a tough sell to convince folks in metro Chas to allow increased taxes to subsidize transit for the mere 15,000 people who ride CARTA buses daily. At best, the area could see some form of "bus rapid transit" develop out of the current express buses.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM

96 posts, read 443,667 times
czar riley will stay in power until he dies. the idiots down there will keep electing him. too many minorities and "old monies". maybe he can put a few more "yellow bikes" around town. if county voters could vote he wouldnt stand a chance. who knows maybe he'll annex that too.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,711 times
Hey pdcrb you still there I actually have a home question I see your a builder.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 28,099 times
Whats your question?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,711 times
I need a 2-story home built (typical construction) around 1800 sf on my lot no garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area